Limestone Coast FL Discussion 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

Dec 18, 2013
Leaning against the boundary fence
AFL Club
Carlton
Probably cannot do it until next year unless there was an issue with the votes and a re-count was required, but I am sure they double checked at the time.

It would probably take something major to turn the situation around between now and March next year.

My guess is there will be another vote in 12 months and it gets up.

They blocked transfers for Marong and Maiden Gully-YCW to cross from the Loddon Valley league to the Heathcote league last year after the HDFNL clubs had voted for it. Recently they tried again and the HDFNL referred it to AFLCV before the vote meeting and AFLCV this time said they couldn't make an overarching decision and it was up to the leagues to work it out!

The commission also tried to undermine the LVFNL and HDFNL by trying to create a second division to the Bendigo league behind the backs of the two leagues. It spectacularly failed.

They blocked transfers for Marong and Maiden Gully-YCW to cross from the Loddon Valley league to the Heathcote league last year after the HDFNL clubs had voted for it. Recently they tried again and the HDFNL referred it to AFLCV before the vote meeting and AFLCV this time said they couldn't make an overarching decision and it was up to the leagues to work it out!

The commission also tried to undermine the LVFNL and HDFNL by trying to create a second division to the Bendigo league behind the backs of the two leagues. It spectacularly failed.
The same issues are replicated in most areas where there is a major centre and then outlying small towns - Bendigo & Mount Gambier have both suffered from a failure to plan - junior footy has exploded and strong clubs have put their energies into this and have effectively choked out the smaller clubs - stand alone junior competitions have been swallowed up by major leagues - bottom line if you don’t have juniors you have 0 - the worst job in the world at the minute is at AFL Vic - because the outlook is bleak, the workload impossible and the chance of pleasing anyone nil - thus tge staff turnover massive

No one wants to have to make the hard calls but they have to be made.

Salary Caps are a joke - no one with any modicum of knowledge or common sense can argue otherwise. The points system only marginally better.

As a result of what’s happened up North - everyone has now got cold feet so I doubt anything will change until clubs fall over which is inevitable.

Totally agree that salary caps are a joke - I have worked in sports admin in the past and was able to stop a sporting association from going down that path by reeling off a dozen ways to rort it off the top of my head and the resources that would be needed to properly police it. They got the message and no more words were spoken on the subject.

The way points work in footy in WA is a lot more simple to Victoria and also better. There has never been a problem with points in the same way it has in Victoria (I can not remember one instance of a club losing points for fielding a team with too many points since it was implemented here almost 10 years ago). The system here also is set up so that a player cannot start dropping any player points until their fourth season at that club, which promotes two-way loyalty between the player and the club.

lol, no doubting MSE and what they think.

Some mid se clubs have been preparing for a merger, I think some will adapt and do well and some won't
I would expect if the leagues stay the same a couple of clubs will apply to join other leagues next year

Last edited:
Some mid se clubs have been preparing for a merger, I think some will adapt and do well and some won't
I would expect if the leagues stay the same a couple of clubs will apply to join other leagues next year
It’s a big problem - you’ve got 4-5 clubs who are clearly much bigger major league clubs vs a league of district clubs - how do you match it up? How do you handicap it?

It’s a big problem - you’ve got 4-5 clubs who are clearly much bigger major league clubs vs a league of district clubs - how do you match it up? How do you handicap it?

Divisions? Maybe that works. Perhaps adding the bigger MSE clubs, Penola and naracoorte to the mount clubs in a top div and then a second Div of district clubs?

E.g: north south east west gambier, Millicent, casterton Penola naracoorte kalangadoo port mac Div 1 then northern div 2 of knt sides and southern div 2 of MsE side?

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

SOUTH EAST FOOTBALL RESTRUCTURE UPDATE

After months of confusion and speculation regarding changes to the Western Border Football League, Mid South Eastern Football League and Kowree Naracoorte Tatiara Football League, the SANFL has announced changes - with Western Border to be renamed for season 2024, and one club each from MSE and KNT to move into the new league in 2025.

The SA Football Commission announced today that it had endorsed final recommendations from the South East Working Group, with the immediate creation of a new Limestone Coast Football Netball League to replace Western Border Football League by next year and competition restructure flagged for 2025.

While the approved recommendations will see the region continue with a three-league model in 2024 and beyond, structural changes to each competition as proposed by the working group are expected to be implemented ahead of season 2025.

SANFL Head of Community Football Shawn Ford said the working group had listened and taken onboard local stakeholder feedback following the first round of recommendations which, balanced with population and participation data, resulted in the latest recommendations being endorsed.

“The working group is committed to achieving a sustainable outcome for football and netball in the South East region and these recommendations provide the necessary change while minimising club disruption,” Ford said.

SANFL can confirm the following key outcomes for football competitions in the region:

The region will continue with a three-league model in 2024 and beyond.

Kowree Naracoorte Tatiara and Mid South Eastern football leagues remain as 10-club and nine-club competitions respectively in 2024.

A new Limestone Coast Football Netball League to replace Western Border Football League will remain as a six-team competition in 2024, expanding to an eight-team competition in 2025.

In 2025, two clubs – one each from Kowree Naracoorte Tatiara and Mid South Eastern football leagues – will move to the Limestone Coast Football Netball League to create a strong eight-team competition.

The outcomes follow ongoing consultation and engagement with local leagues and clubs since the working group made its initial recommendations.

In May, it was recommended the region move to a two-competition structure, with the disbandment of the WBFL.

Ford said all aspects of the region’s football structure and feedback provided had been well considered by the working group, which was tasked with finding a viable solution to the challenges facing club sustainability, including junior participation and pathways.

“While there will be no real immediate change to league compositions in the region in 2024, we believe some structural changes, including a new-look football and netball league with refined age groups at junior level, will assist with the development and sustainability of three strong and viable leagues in the region by 2025,” he said.

Mid South East Netball Association
Western Border Netball Association

(Log in to remove this ad.)

With the addition of Penola and Port Mac the new LCFNL will again be the dominant league in the area. Pretty good result for all I think considering the alternative proposition. One day a 10 team LCFNL would be ideal. Does anyone know the population growth in the Mount and the projections over the next 10 yrs. Could see a new club form, perhaps a merger of an outlying team.

Rumours of Penola, Naracoorte and Robe considering a change into the new league
Junior restructure should benefit Casterton and Millicent, plus any other club wanting to join
For the best. Western Border is now a South Australian league. It can be a strong SA league too with the addition of those 3 teams.

Would be good to see Casterton become a strong side and have a team in every junior grade hopefully this helps, there were talks about them taking players for south and etc that have too many juniors and doing bus trips to Casterton and back, the new junior and senior colts restructure should ensure each club have a junior team in each grade, mainly casterton struggled with this, Millicent used to, Souths juniors have been dominant in every grade they usually have two teams and more players that don't play, East are the opposite being one win bottomfeeders relying on mostly fill-ins or random recruits and players from other leagues and clubs to help out (mainly because seniors are struggling)

The same issues are replicated in most areas where there is a major centre and then outlying small towns - Bendigo & Mount Gambier have both suffered from a failure to plan - junior footy has exploded and strong clubs have put their energies into this and have effectively choked out the smaller clubs - stand alone junior competitions have been swallowed up by major leagues - bottom line if you don’t have juniors you have 0 - the worst job in the world at the minute is at AFL Vic - because the outlook is bleak, the workload impossible and the chance of pleasing anyone nil - thus tge staff turnover massive

No one wants to have to make the hard calls but they have to be made.

Salary Caps are a joke - no one with any modicum of knowledge or common sense can argue otherwise. The points system only marginally better.

As a result of what’s happened up North - everyone has now got cold feet so I doubt anything will change until clubs fall over which is inevitable.
from what I know K'rong is horrible with their juniors, midse teams are not the best with that, even east u18's beat one of the top midse u18 sides, and east u18s have been rough for years now

Remove this Banner Ad

Back