Western Border FL discussion 2023

Remove this Banner Ad

Is their any chance it won't happen or is it 100%. I think it would be best if they just stayed as WB for one more year to try work something else out. Minus Casterton who want out

1. The WBFL should take Penola.
2. Make the WBFL the major league and Mid South East the minor league.
3. The winner from the Mid South East gets promoted and the bottom side from the WBFL gets relegated.
4. That would make WBFL 8 sides, MSEFL 8 sides and KNTFL 9 sides.
5. Hopefully two extra sides + possible relegation to MSEFL more palatable for Casterton-Sandford.

Is their any chance it won't happen or is it 100%. I think it would be best if they just stayed as WB for one more year to try work something else out. Minus Casterton who want out

Unless everyone agrees to the recommendations, will most likely will be a combined mid se/WBFl league in 2024 as stated in the article,

A collection of three sub committees has been established, along with a working group which consists of prominent identities from across all three South East football and netball leagues, which includes the Kowree Naracoorte Tatiara league.

“There is still a lot of work to be completed in terms of planning and the development stages of what 2024 will look like” Ford said.

“The working groups have been established and they are working on a strategic plan for the future.”

Each sub committee has representation from all three leagues and will focus on a critical component – league operations, the affect on juniors and the impact on each football and netball club within the leagues.

“The next stage in the process is for the sub committees to discuss alternative models” Ford said.

“What we need the sub committees to do is look at the models as a whole, figure out what will work and what won’t work and then start to fill in the blanks and add the detail to it.

“The sub committee will pull them apart and hand them back up to the working group and then the working group may only have a handful of models to work around.”

Ford expected some back and forth between the groups over the coming months, but a strict deadline has been set for an outcome.

He said the public would be aware of the 2024 format by early September, with clarity ensured before the conclusion of the 2023 season.

“If they can’t come up with a suitable approach for everybody, the default is back to that 15 team competition, which has already been endorsed by the (South Australian Football) commission,” Ford said.

“One way or another there will be change in 2024.

“It will either be a 15-team comp, which has been endorsed and is ready to go, or it will be something that might be a little bit more palatable for everyone in the region.”

Some may still question whether change is necessary but there are three key issues which Ford said were the basis of the investigation.

Mid Se have already spoken to East Gambier and Casterton and welcomed them into their league
Doesn’t look like the Kntfl will be doing the same
Worst case scenario : There will be only 1 football club in mount gambier competing next year

Might be the weakest but still would’ve thought they would have all the Mount teams in the same comp. Only takes a few from each of the Mount teams to jump ship sniffing a cheap flag and the whole East experiment in the weaker comp is a waste of time!
I’m not sure what player movement is like in that neck of the woods but would be done in quite a few other places!
Might be the weakest but still would’ve thought they would have all the Mount teams in the same comp. Only takes a few from each of the Mount teams to jump ship sniffing a cheap flag and the whole East experiment in the weaker comp is a waste of time!
I’m not sure what player movement is like in that neck of the woods but would be done in quite a few other places!

From a fair way away I can’t see what is being proposed as going ahead, it just makes no sense to me. But I’m a couple hours to the East but whatever happens it will have some ripple effects. If the the WBFL merge into the Mid SE league then there will have to be some handicapping of them or mergers of smaller Mid SE Clubs

From a fair way away I can’t see what is being proposed as going ahead, it just makes no sense to me. But I’m a couple hours to the East but whatever happens it will have some ripple effects. If the the WBFL merge into the Mid SE league then there will have to be some handicapping of them or mergers of smaller Mid SE Clubs
Obviously clubs have to do what they think is right but I still cannot believe the two Hamilton teams and Portland left when they did. 2012ish? The WB was in my opinion one of the strongest leagues West of Geelong. I don't seem to remember both Hamilton clubs struggling for numbers but they didn't seem very welcoming too newcomers from what I knew, seen and heard back in the day all the same. Was the beginning of the end by then.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Obviously clubs have to do what they think is right but I still cannot believe the two Hamilton teams and Portland left when they did. 2012ish? The WB was in my opinion one of the strongest leagues West of Geelong. I don't seem to remember both Hamilton clubs struggling for numbers but they didn't seem very welcoming too newcomers from what I knew, seen and heard back in the day all the same. Was the beginning of the end by then.
It was a pretty simple decision at the end of the day, I had a front row seat to it all. The WBFL was originally a 12 team comp - 6 in SA (4 x Mount, Millicent and Penola) 6 in Vic (Hamilton, Imps, Coleraine, Casterton, Heywood & Portland) - Penola left in about ‘88, Coleraine in the mid 90’s and Heywood in 2011. Following Heywood’s departure Hamilton Imps tried to go to the Hampden League as they believed they could exploit a recruiting niche by playing in the Vic league rather than travelling over the border 5 times a year. So they applied and got knocked back by the WBFL so they went to appeal. My view of the WBFL executive at the time was that it was pretty old and staid and they were relying on the VCFL just backing them because “that’s what the’d always done” - The VCFL didn’t really make a decision it held it over and instead called for a review of the area. The WBFL thought they were laughing but they were warned that they may get blown up in the process and once the review came that is exactly what happened. It recommended that the two Hamilton teams merge (which happened in about 3 weeks) and Portland had the option of which way they went and they went to the Hampden League. Imps had the backing to take the matter to the Court and were prepared to do so, with some ex Hamilton Imps lawyers and Barristers happy to do it for no cost. During the late 80’s and mid to early 90’s the WBFL was very strong as most clubs used to be able to drag players and coaches out of the VFL or SANFL, but by the 2000’s (aside from the one year Heywood effort which resulted in disaster) lack of employment or better options closer to the capital cities meant that the standard had declined significantly.

This bit

“Mr Kerin said football administrators were still working hard at getting Portland and the combined Hamilton club back in the Western Border from the Warrnambool-based Hampden league.

“If this occurred, the Western Border would return to eight clubs and could continue as a stand-alone entity.”

I never even considered this could be a possibility!

1684835799969-gif.1695015

Attachments

• 1684835799969.gif
    1684835799969.gif
    1.7 MB · Views: 183

KNTFL position on the proposed SANFL South East football and netball competition restructure:
After the release of the proposal on the 10th of May the KNTFL held a special general meeting at Naracoorte which was attended by the League Executive aswell as club presidents and representatives from every member club and affiliated netball clubs.
At this meeting there was a resolution unanimously passed to reject the proproposal that had been released by the South East football working group.
It was agreed that the proposal would not be in any way beneficial for the league and further more could actually threaten the future survival of some of its member clubs.
The league has communicated its rejection of the proposal to the SANFL’s head of country football.
The KNTFL Executives and board would like to reassure its clubs, members, players and supporters that contrary to some speculation currently circulating, planning is underway to continue into the 2024 season as a 10 club competition, continuing the successful format currently in place.

KNTFL have now officially publicly rejected the findings. If the SANFL try to force the changes to occur, there is a strong chance the league will disaffiliate and go its own way and have full control of its own affairs, leaving the others to do whatever they want.

From there, there would probably be a two division league involving MSE and WB clubs, but if MSE decided to follow the lead that KNT probably will, then the Mount Gambier clubs would be out on their own and would have to play in a four-club comp like they do in Broken Hill or the Upper Murray comp in Victoria.

Last edited:
This bit

“Mr Kerin said football administrators were still working hard at getting Portland and the combined Hamilton club back in the Western Border from the Warrnambool-based Hampden league.

“If this occurred, the Western Border would return to eight clubs and could continue as a stand-alone entity.”

I never even considered this could be a possibility!

I doubt that Portland and Hamilton would come back.

1. The WBFL should take Penola. Do Penola want to go? From memory history says they are against it.

2. Make the WBFL the major league and Mid South East the minor league. The most likely scenario now given the KNT rejected the findings.

3. The winner from the Mid South East gets promoted and the bottom side from the WBFL gets relegated. Within reason (the second tier premier can accept or reject promotion). If the lower grades of football and the netball teams aren't going to be competitive it will be a farce with junior players from small towns travelling to Mt Gambier for regular annihilations, risking player losses and the club's future.

if the Kntfl disaffiliate won’t their juniors lose access to playing for Glenelg, or any other higher level of football
Could they end up paying more for player insurance?

It's something the league and clubs would obviously investigate.

I know one league that went down the track of disaffiliation from the Victorian body found they could do comparable deals on things like player insurance and apparel as the peak body was adding a markup on some things and stinging the leagues in the process.

It's obviously a big step but the league and the clubs I am sure would compile the pros and cons for both affiliation and disaffiliation at some stage and make a decision from there.

Last edited:
It's something the league and clubs would obviously investigate.

I know one league that went down the track of disaffiliation from the Victorian body found they could do comparable deals on things like player insurance and apparel as the peak body was adding a markup on some things and stinging the leagues in the process.

It's obviously a big step but the league and the clubs I am sure would compile the pros and cons for both affiliation and disaffiliation at some stage and make a decision from there.
Yeah picola and district have disaffiliated and from what I've seen and read it seems to be working. There is some talks about re affiliation. I'd love western border to continue. I Hope there's someone on the wb side of things trying to convince teams to join or rejoin and make it a force in the region again. Only need 2 teams Naracoorte, Penola, Hamilton, Portland, Heywood, Port Mac.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back