AFLW West Coast Womens Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Molly's great, be happy to have her. But Zippy's on a different level.
The hype is massive for Zippy. And understandably so. Kids a gun, line breaker, fast. Efficient.

However Molly is the more complete player.

To me, as it stands right now, Molly would offer more to our club than Fish. If I trusted our onball division more I’d probably lean to Fish, but I don’t trust them at the moment.

Looking forward to watching them going against the might of Sth Australia tomorrow in the SOO.

The hype is massive for Zippy. And understandably so. Kids a gun, line breaker, fast. Efficient.

To me, as it stands right now, Molly would offer more to our club than Fish. If I trusted our onball division more I’d probably lean to Fish, but I don’t trust them at the moment.

Looking forward to watching them going against the might of Sth Australia tomorrow in the SOO.
Highlights a big problem if the draft remains not fully national.

I think last year, non Vic based players were more likely to nominate national than Vic based players, presumably because there are more clubs and opportunities in Vic.

Gives Vic club the opportunity to target national nominated players early, knowing there is a big pool of Vic players to select from later that half the clubs cannot select.

So, could we lose both of them to Vic clubs, while not being able to get top Vic players in return?

On SM-A346E using BigFooty.com mobile app

For me, it's precisely because our onballers are weak and we lack good distributors and decision makers that Zippy would be the best fit. In her 39 possession game a few weeks ago, she sat at half-back and dictated every thrust forward, she sees opportunities and gets players the ball when and how they need it. Molly's a great athlete and does a lot, but you can't build your team's ball movement around her like you can Zippy.

Highlights a big problem if the draft remains not fully national.

I think last year, non Vic based players were more likely to nominate national than Vic based players, presumably because there are more clubs and opportunities in Vic.

Gives Vic club the opportunity to target national nominated players early, knowing there is a big pool of Vic players to select from later that half the clubs cannot select.

So, could we lose both of them to Vic clubs, while not being able to get top Vic players in return?

On SM-A346E using BigFooty.com mobile app
I think the AFLW are looking to make national nominations compulsory, exactly so this kind of thing won't happen.

For me, it's precisely because our onballers are weak and we lack good distributors and decision makers that Zippy would be the best fit. In her 39 possession game a few weeks ago, she sat at half-back and dictated every thrust forward, she sees opportunities and gets players the ball when and how they need it. Molly's a great athlete and does a lot, but you can't build your team's ball movement around her like you can Zippy.

I like everything about Zippy apart from her disposal, its inconsistent and often erratic.

Probably marking her harshly but there have been a few games where her radar has been off badly.

That said, she does have a lot of redeeming feature to her skill set.

In her 39 possession game a few weeks ago, she sat at half-back
This is exactly why I’d take Molly over Fish. In my mind she’ll play HB at the next level, excellent distribution and vision but not contested enough for the midfield.

Molly is all of this and her versatility is unmatched. She’s not just an athlete, she has excellent footy IQ

Don’t get me wrong, I’ll not crack the shits if we took Zippy 1st, I’d just prefer a more versatile inside/outside player than a outside silky receiver, with how our current list is.

Have to admire the girls. They don’t get particularly well paid and all this training time is voluntary so that they can improve

Shame that we’ve already lost two girls to ACL injuries particularly young Kavanagh

West Coast star Ella Roberts is set to make her mark in the midfield under new coach Daisy Pearce as the Eagles gear up to play a pre-season practice match against Fremantle on Saturday.
The prodigal teenager started her career up forward before moving onball last season.

Roberts has previously expressed her desire to play in the midfield long-term. But after a breakout 2023 season, finishing third in the AFLW Rising Star, Pearce expects Roberts to have her biggest impact around the ball this year

“The great thing about Ella is she can do both,” Pearce told CODE Sports. “She can go anywhere.

“I’d love to see her continue to develop as a midfielder. Her speed, power and attack on the ball and opponents who have the ball are awesome to see.

“I’ve played alongside some great footballers but to stand back and not have to worry about getting tackled by her but be close enough to see her in full flight is awesome.

“I’d love to see her develop in the midfield but she’s always going to have the ability to go forward and impact as well. Where she’s at already is impressive but I think there’s heaps of scope for improvement too.”

The Eagles have taken the opportunity to get a head start on season 2024, organising a series of scrimmages to keep their squad together across the off-season, giving Pearce the chance to cast an early eye over her playing list.

West Coast travelled to the Gold Coast last weekend and will play the Dockers at Mineral Resources Park on Saturday morning.

Given that pre-season doesn’t officially kick off until June, participation in training and games is currently optional. But the Eagles expect 14 players to suit up in tomorrow’s clash, the same number that headed to the Gold Coast.

New recruits Jess Hosking and Alison Drennan both featured against the Suns. Hosking played in the midfield and up forward after being delisted by Richmond but is also an option down back. While Drennan has given the Eagles extra run and size in the midfield.

“The great thing about both of them is that I can see them improving,” Pearce said. “I think their best footy is still ahead of them which is really exciting.”
Third-year ruck Lauren Wakfer also impressed against Lauren Bella. Mikayla Western had an impact up forward. And Charlie Thomas continues to improve down back despite winning the club’s best and fairest last season.

Pearce said the practice matches were a balance of keeping the playing group together and maintaining match fitness as well as implementing elements of her new game plan.

“We’ve been able to go to work on the fundamentals of the game since January but also drip feed some of the big ticket items that we’re working towards as a group with our game style,” she said. “They go hand-in-hand.

“It was a great opportunity to see them in the context of a game. Their competitiveness and will to win were impressive despite it being a practice match. It’s such a great ingredient and quality and we want to become unconditional with that.

“The beauty of these games is you can train and explain as much as you’d like but to actually point out situations from games when you can say ‘that is why we do that drill’ is invaluable.

“There’s going to be a big focus on improving our work around the contest and also being able to sustain ourselves in games for longer in that area. We’ve only started scratching the surface with that.

“We’ve got some catching up to do. If other clubs are using this time well, we have to use it really well ourselves.”

The Dockers are expected to field a similar number of players. Both teams will be topped up by non-selected WAFLW State game stars.

The Eagles currently have one vacant list spot to fill after first-round draft pick Kayley Kavanagh suffered a season-ending ACL tear playing in the WAFLW.

There is optimism that Courtney Rowley and Sasha Goranova will both be fit to play this season after suffering ACL tears last year but the Eagles have until the end of pre-season to make a decision on their fitness.

If anyone is interested before the WCE Essendon game is the SOO

This drafts prospect - Zippy Fish, Molly O'Hehir & Claudia Wright playing today

Scoll across the instagram page and link below

Of course if you’re going to the Eags game, head there early to get behind the black ducks 🖤💛

Remarkable work from the people televising women's state-level footy. The last two U18 games have been lost because the entire first half and more of the match went missing. And this SA-vs-WA match on Streamer freezes every five seconds, making it unwatchable.

Anyhow, box score below, SA won, Zippy got 28 and a goal, Molly O'Hehir got 15.

Remarkable work from the people televising women's state-level footy. The last two U18 games have been lost because the entire first half and more of the match went missing. And this SA-vs-WA match on Streamer freezes every five seconds, making it unwatchable.

Anyhow, box score below, SA won, Zippy got 28 and a goal, Molly O'Hehir got 15.

Zippy got the medal as best on for WA.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back