2nds West Coast Eagles WAFL Watch 2024

Yes. They did in 2019
Hence fear from WAFL clubs re recruitment, thank you.
Perhaps, Beagles can't play finals, every WAFL side plays them once, no problems with recruiting WAFL older dudes that would like a few $?
All too complicated for me.
Stubbornness of WAFL clubs is a bit annoying.
I was around for the demise of Sunday Football League, great comp, great level of footy.
#sorry tagged you with my little rant:(

So is the wafl team going to join the AFL reserves comp or not ??

my concerns is the travel factor ...how is it going to work? will they the reserve team be following the Eagles afl team every week...or will they will be playing games at home when the Eagels AFL team is away?

My concern......example.....Harry edwards plays away against Collingwood in melb with the reserve side ....our afl team plays at optus at the same time.....there is an injury to say barrass in our AFL team .....our afl side then plays away the following week ...harry edwards gets picked to replace barrass.....thats two straight away games for H Edwards could be more.......

Is this favourable for the development of the player????...because it looks like more travel for me

So is the wafl team going to join the AFL reserves comp or not ??

my concerns is the travel factor ...how is it going to work? will they the reserve team be following the Eagles afl team every week...or will they will be playing games at home when the Eagels AFL team is away?

My concern......example.....Harry edwards plays away against Collingwood in melb with the reserve side ....our afl team plays at optus at the same time.....there is an injury to say barrass in our AFL team .....our afl side then plays away the following week ...harry edwards gets picked to replace barrass.....thats two straight away games for H Edwards could be more.......

Is this favourable for the development of the player????...because it looks like more travel for me
The travel is the only concern I have. It is a huge one. I do believe the idea is that the fixture is the same as the afl so the squad will all be in the same place.

The travel is the only concern I have. It is a huge one. I do believe the idea is that the fixture is the same as the afl so the squad will all be in the same place.
yeah thats the only way I can see it happening......but I honestly don't trust the AFL to set it up that way....and I can see both sides playing on opposite sides of the country with the fixture

really hope Pyke and the club really think about this...because IMO it could have a huge impact on the development of players

yeah thats the only way I can see it happening......but I honestly don't trust the AFL to set it up that way....and I can see both sides playing on opposite sides of the country with the fixture

really hope Pyke and the club really think about this...because IMO it could have a huge impact on the development of players
Honestly the best result would be to hopefully use it as leverage, stay in the WAFL but with better concessions to actually put a competitive team on the park. Players returning from injury etc
Would be far better off playing in WA without further travel burden, same with the young players who need a couple of years developing.

Honestly the best result would be to hopefully use it as leverage, stay in the WAFL but with better concessions to actually put a competitive team on the park. Players returning from injury etc
Would be far better off playing in WA without further travel burden, same with the young players who need a couple of years developing.

Yeah, you can see players returning through the WAFL even if we have a reserve side who follow the seniors.

Would you want a player going to play in Tassie in a blizzard coming back from an injury or getting a run in a game in the WAFL on a fine day on a dry deck?

Its all relatively simple, WAFL needs to change the rules, restructure the deal and the Eagles will stay.

Otherwise, the decision will be forced and the Eagles head into national competition.

This might be a crazy thought but if we were to leave the WAFL why not set something up with the SANFL and go on our own setting up 10/12 team comp. Traditionalist will hate it but why have the national comp based on the VFL, haven’t we learnt the lesson from vAFL.

Its all relatively simple, WAFL needs to change the rules, restructure the deal and the Eagles will stay.

Otherwise, the decision will be forced and the Eagles head into national competition.

This might be a crazy thought but if we were to leave the WAFL why not set something up with the SANFL and go on our own setting up 10/12 team comp. Traditionalist will hate it but why have the national comp based on the VFL, haven’t we learnt the lesson from vAFL.
If the BEagles joined the national comp, being in a different comp to the WAFL, they wouldn't have the recruiting restrictions they currently have, right? What's to stop top WAFL players from joining them in the hope to get national exposure?

If the BEagles joined the national comp, being in a different comp to the WAFL, they wouldn't have the recruiting restrictions they currently have, right? What's to stop top WAFL players from joining them in the hope to get national exposure?
what are the recruiting restrictions you guys are on about. You don't know. name them.

Nothing. But I doubt it would be the preference for the Eagles to go down that path.

what are the recruiting restrictions you guys are on about. You don't know. name them.

They can’t mate
Not WAFL watcher, but I know there is recruiting restrictions as well as TPP for salary too.

The current rules are there to stifle the success of the Eagles, the worry was, and is the Eagles would dominate.

It been spoken about many times by the media. And I am sure the guys who are ITK more intimately could quote them. If we had the same liberties as Peel, then I think it would be a non-event but it’s not.

***quick google.

Last edited:
Not WAFL watcher, but I know there is recruiting restrictions as well as TPP for salary too.

The current rules are there to stifle the success of the Eagles, the worry was, and is the Eagles would dominate.

It been spoken about many times by the media. And I am sure the guys who are ITK more intimately could quote them. If we had the same liberties as Peel, then I think it would be a non-event but it’s not.

Maybe earlier, but they’ve been relaxed to the point that we’re not actually anywhere near the limit this year.

The rules are not there too stifle the Eagles but to try to keep the integrity of the comp.
Peel and West Coast only have 70 points and traditional wafl clubs have 90,100 0r 110 depending on how they have been performing. West coast have 3o players on their beagles list whereas Peel and all other clubs have to have a minimum 55 players which are one point for a local zone player and more if they are a recruit from another tier two league.
Remember Peel and Wafl clubs do have to run a Wafl league and reserves sides.
I would say the Beagles have not reached their 70 points limit.

Apart from poaching top players from wafl clubs the Beagles can recruit nearly anybody. .
They can recruit Eagles delisted players with little restriction except for a transfer fee to their original club.

They can recruit interstate players like all wafl teams do from vfl, sanfl or any delisted afl players. and their points value is determined by wafl rules that are the same for all wafl teams. two players in this group are Trey Ruscoe and Gilbee.

They can recruit any ex wafl listed player. Harley Sparks who played about twenty games for East Perth played country footy last year.

They can recruit from the ammos. East Perth got two from the ammos last year and are presently b22

As for the Tpp. Both Peel and west coast have $147,000 and Wafl clubs about $245,00.
It is as fair as practically possible. The traditional clubs get more because they don't have 10-12 afl players getting paid
a couple of million to pay wafl.Apart from Jackson Nelson, Trey Ruscoe, Gilbey and Sparks who would get paid well?
I again would think the Beagles Tpp would be under their limit and if it wasn't i would question why not?

Last edited:
Back