Player Watch Welcome to Richmond - Jacob Hopper

Remove this Banner Ad

Yeah I don't understand the Hopper hate train happening in here.
We paid overs in the trade, sure, I'm happy to concede that. However, that's not his fault lol. We have people in here 100% hating on him only because of what we paid to get him.

In my opinion, you shouldn't be judging a player based on what the club pays for them. You judge the club.

Hopper was having a great game the other night and anyone denying that can only see the picks and the salary whenever they're watching him.
What I saw was a bloke cracking in and clearly heavily invested in what we are building here. He was absolutely shattered when he did his hammy and due to his dedication to this club, stayed on and got involved in a scoring chain. When he finally went off he was distraught. If we overpay for passion like that then I'm okay with that as they are the types of people you want in your club.

The trade and the contract already happened. It's time to move on and judge him fairly.
let me clear this up, I don't hate on him as a person, NOT GLAD he got injured, I just don't like his disposal which is a midfielder's biggest and most important skill requirement.
When and if he gets his game together I will gladly say it, but on the whole, it's been s**t vs his pay packet.
If I sucked at my job on my pay packet then id expect the same criticism.
I bet he is as frustrated over his game as what i am, and i know he is trying 100%.
The VFL team exists for a reason too.

let me clear this up, I don't hate on him as a person, NOT GLAD he got injured, I just don't like his disposal which is a midfielder's biggest and most important skill requirement.
When and if he gets his game together I will gladly say it, but on the whole, it's been s**t vs his pay packet.
I bet he is as frustrated over his game as what i am, and i know he is trying 100%.
Are you suggesting Hopper should or should have played VFL?

Yup even when he turned it over it still meant Melbourne didn’t get the quick clearance a turnover at half back is a lot less damaging compared to a complete loss of the contest at a centre bounce

Especially with 666 rules
Penny has dropped.

666…the number of the beast (devil) - 666 is the afl’s rule. No coincidence.

If he was an outside midfielder, I'd agree. You can only expect so much when most of your disposals at the contest will be pressured. Most inside midfielders have terrible disposal efficiency. However, if he gets it in space he needs to use it well but that should be the expectation for any AFL footballer. This is the same issue that Taranto has.
I feel like your expectations are high on these two based on what we paid for them which is more of a you problem rather than anything else.

I'm sure he gets the requisite criticism from his employers but to say "he sucks at his job" is just, again, the standard you set for him based on how much we paid.
The only way we can actually assess whether he is worth what we paid is at the end of his contract.

Does he have s**t he needs to work on? 100%. I don't think anyone would dispute that.

I reckon if he plays out the game we probably would have won. Boys went to shambles after he came off and mids got smacked.

Another game where we've competed while severely undermanned and lost the fight.
How we've managed to stay so competitive is crazy and full credit to the boys.

is he more special than any other player on our list?
Yeah, he is, but that wasn't my point, your suggestion he is underperforming to a level that should see him dropped is ridiculous.

Yeah, he is, but that wasn't my point, your suggestion he is underperforming to a level that should see him dropped is ridiculous.
can I ask what makes Hopper more special than any other player on our list?

Anyone and everyone should get dropped if poor form is the norm.
If he plays well Ill be the first to say it.

can I ask what makes Hopper more special than any other player on our list?

Anyone and everyone should get dropped if poor form is the norm.
If he plays well Ill be the first to say it.
Well the proven gun is clearly more special than the kid or plodder who comes back from injury, this proven every single week, its just facts.

Hopper isnt out of form, in fact you could argue when he plays, he is. has been our best mid.

I think you are forgetting the points you tried to make.

Well the proven gun is clearly more special than the kid or plodder who comes back from injury, this proven every single week, its just facts.

Hopper isnt out of form, in fact you could argue when he plays, he is. has been our best mid.

I think you are forgetting the points you tried to make.
Well then.....we are going to just have to differ on Hopper. lets leave it at that.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Well then.....we are going to just have to differ on Hopper. lets leave it at that.
No.

No agreeing to disagree and having an amicable debate

I won’t be satisfied until you and Morro resort to personal attacks and at least one of you calling the other champ in the most condescending way possible

I reckon if he plays out the game we probably would have won. Boys went to shambles after he came off and mids got smacked.

Another game where we've competed while severely undermanned and lost the fight.
How we've managed to stay so competitive is crazy and full credit to the boys.
Ryan Reynolds Agree GIF by Welcome to Wrexham

No.

No agreeing to disagree and having an amicable debate

I won’t be satisfied until you and Morro resort to personal attacks and at least one of you calling the other champ in the most condescending way possible
Dont bring champ into this, its one of my favs ;)

2-3 weeks. Get well soon Hopper!
Not good but not terrible either

Since we played on weds we have a 10 day break and a 6 day break before round 9 so might work in his favour

Give him a month off to make sure he is right. There's zero need to rush him back.
Agree, 3 games off, as we play Dockers & Dogs (MCG) then Lions away. Bring him back for Dreamtime, which would be a full month off.

Will allow his knee to completely heal as well, so some sort of lining, not sure it's exactly silver.
Is what it is unfortunately
Hopefully we can sort out whatever is going on re our injuries but in the meantime it’s a good opportunity to give Sonsie another crack and hopefully in the middle

Remove this Banner Ad

Back