Player Watch Welcome to Richmond - Jacob Hopper

Remove this Banner Ad

Ill try once more.
YOu buy a meal, it costs you $20 if its not that great then youre dissapointed but probably not suprised.
If you buy a meal and it costs $80 and its not that great well youre going to pissed.
You forgot the bit where you then carry on about it to anyone around you for the next few years.

Ill try once more.
YOu buy a meal, it costs you $20 if its not that great then youre dissapointed but probably not suprised.
If you buy a meal and it costs $80 and its not that great well youre going to pissed.
The $80 meals I get are well worth it just like Hopper.

Ill try once more.

You do a whole week food shop, the entire shop cost you $400. Some meals/snacks cost $3-$5, some main meals cost you $40-$60.

But in the end, every meal you have is important. And all of those meals are apart of your weekly budget/cost for that entire shop. Is you milk any more or less important becuase it only costs $6, versus your steak that costs $25?

And sometimes, you may have a bad meal, but that doesn't mean there is anything wrong with the food, sometimes it's actually down to how it was cooked or how it was plated, or what sides where shared with it....

And if you want to stay with your one meal $80 analogy, then if you aren't prepared for the risk of not enjopying your meal after spending $80 on it, then don't buy the $80 meal, got to Maccas and get a happy meal instead, much more value by your logic!

You do a whole week food shop, the entire shop cost you $400. Some meals/snacks cost $3-$5, some main meals cost you $40-$60.

But in the end, every meal you have is important. And all of those meals are apart of your weekly budget/cost for that entire shop. Is you milk any more or less important becuase it only costs $6, versus your steak that costs $25?

And sometimes, you may have a bad meal, but that doesn't mean there is anything wrong with the food, sometimes it's actually down to how it was cooked or how it was plated, or what sides where shared with it....

And if you want to stay with your one meal $80 analogy, then if you aren't prepared for the risk of not enjopying your meal after spending $80 on it, then don't buy the $80 meal, got to Maccas and get a happy meal instead, much more value by your logic!
rubbish post

all good, just the one eyed brigade raising a one eyed point once again.
One eyed, lol, I think you will find I am more than happy to accpept the flaws and faults of our players and the club.

However I disagree on the value you are applying to measure Hoppers success.

Yes, I see your point, when you pay for a player, you expect them to perform, but I don't think Hopper has been that bad when he is on the park, just injuries have kept him out more than we would like.

The point I was trying to make was, whilst every player has their indivisual salary, in the end, all payments are part of a TPP, some players perform above their indivual contracts, some perform under, part and parcel. Some players value is inflated due to having to pay a certain % of the TPP (look at North, based on output, you would say nearly all of their players bar 4-5 kids are overpaid/under performing), some are unsderpaid due to the success of their team (compared to market value), some players are overpaid simply because you had to just to bring them to your club. For me, whilst it is a factor, what a player gets paid isn't the primary factor that I jusdge a players performance on, it appears for you it is.

No stress either way, just differeing views.

For me, it's the same as where a kid is drafted, once they are drafted, they are on the list, the number they are drafted at has zero impact on how they perform, it's just a number allocated to a point in time.

One eyed, lol, I think you will find I am more than happy to accpept the flaws and faults of our players and the club.

However I disagree on the value you are applying to measure Hoppers success.

Yes, I see your point, when you pay for a player, you expect them to perform, but I don't think Hopper has been that bad when he is on the park, just injuries have kept him out more than we would like.

The point I was trying to make was, whilst every player has their indivisual salary, in the end, all payments are part of a TPP, some players perform above their indivual contracts, some perform under, part and parcel. Some players value is inflated due to having to pay a certain % of the TPP (look at North, based on output, you would say nearly all of their players bar 4-5 kids are overpaid/under performing), some are unsderpaid due to the success of their team (compared to market value), some players are overpaid simply because you had to just to bring them to your club. For me, whilst it is a factor, what a player gets paid isn't the primary factor that I jusdge a players performance on, it appears for you it is.

No stress either way, just differeing views.

For me, it's the same as where a kid is drafted, once they are drafted, they are on the list, the number they are drafted at has zero impact on how they perform, it's just a number allocated to a point in time.
its simple human expectation. wether it be sports or work related.
get paid big money the expectation is to perform.
get paid little money then not much.
i dont know why you have trouble grasping this?

Never subscribed to that theory. There is an expectation pick 1-10 in the draft will be good and that 11-25 might be of certain value.
Or simply put, if Tambling was pick 56, you'd be over the moon with what he did at Richmond as he was not as bad as everyone made out and, at times, played some really good football.
To say he was a success as a number four would be silly.

its simple human expectation. wether it be sports or work related.
get paid big money the expectation is to perform.
get paid little money then not much.
i dont know why you have trouble grasping this?
I easily grasp it, and understand the concept.

I'm just saying, for me, it's not always the main factor on whether I determine something a success.
Sometimes I do, sometimes I dont.

I appreciate we havent got full value for money for Hopper yet, but two things I take into account,

1- its been due to injury rather than form, so if we can keep him fit, I'm confident over time he will match what we paid for him

2 - I'd rather judge and value this further into his 7 year deal, not 25 games in...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm just saying, for me, it's not always the main factor on whether I determine something a success.

I appreciate we havent got full value for money for Hopper yet, but two things I take into account,

1- its been due to injury rather than form, so if we can keep him fit, I'm confident over time he will match what we paid for him

2 - I'd rather judge and value this further into his 7 year deal, not 25 games in...
I appreciate your thinking, I think if you get paid big money to play then you have to perform accordingly.

Richmond doesn't have unlimited money and salary cap space.

That is my reasoning.

Never subscribed to that theory. There is an expectation pick 1-10 in the draft will be good and that 11-25 might be of certain value.
Or simply put, if Tambling was pick 56, you'd be over the moon with what he did at Richmond as he was not as bad as everyone made out and, at times, played some really good football.
To say he was a success as a number four would be silly.
EXACTLY

Wooden Robot said it better than me.....

"Never subscribed to that theory. There is an expectation pick 1-10 in the draft will be good and that 11-25 might be of certain value.
To say he was a success as a number four would be silly."

I appreciate your thinking, I think if you get paid big money to play then you have to perform accordingly.

Richmond doesn't have unlimited money and salary cap space.

That is my reasoning.
Wooden Robot said it better than me.....

"Never subscribed to that theory. There is an expectation pick 1-10 in the draft will be good and that 11-25 might be of certain value.
To say he was a success as a number four would be silly."

For the record, I've never said your theory is wrong, I just view it differently at this point in time.

As per my previous, I am happy to let more time pass to make judgement, and I may end up where you are now, in saying that Hopper didn't meet what we paid for him. There is also a chance he is our best player in the last 5 years of his contract and you may change your position (I assume).

And Wooden Robot's position is fine, when making an assessment at a point in time (which is at the end meaning no further variables exist). Whilst players are on the list together, IMOP where they are drafted may carry expectations (due to their number) but they don't carry guarantee's. And unlike older players who move, the kids don't chose what number they are drafted, that is on the club. So whilst they are on the list, they are just another player. After it's all said and done, do we sit down an evaluate did we use that draft pick wisely and get the value we expected out of it... We bloody should or we are not doing business correctly.

So I don't actually disagree with your logic, just maybe the time a place we apply it.

And often that is directed by expectation more than anything, and people expectations can differ a fair bit!

For the record, I've never said your theory is wrong, I just view it differently at this point in time.

As per my previous, I am happy to let more time pass to make judgement, and I may end up where you are now, in saying that Hopper didn't meet what we paid for him. There is also a chance he is our best player in the last 5 years of his contract and you may change your position (I assume).

And Wooden Robot's position is fine, when making an assessment at a point in time (which is at the end meaning no further variables exist). Whilst players are on the list together, IMOP where they are drafted may carry expectations (due to their number) but they don't carry guarantee's. And unlike older players who move, the kids don't chose what number they are drafted, that is on the club. So whilst they are on the list, they are just another player. After it's all said and done, do we sit down an evaluate did we use that draft pick wisely and get the value we expected out of it... We bloody should or we are not doing business correctly.

So I don't actually disagree with your logic, just maybe the time a place we apply it.

And often that is directed by expectation more than anything, and people expectations can differ a fair bit!
If he improves I would love it, we all want Richmond to be on top, so if he does play well I will be the first to say so.

You forgot the bit where you then carry on about it to anyone around you for the next few years.

Well if you had to eat the same ******* meal for 7 years in a row anywa because your ex wife decided to pre-purchased 7 years worth before she left you for a hotter, younger richer guy, what else are you going to do? the option to eat something else and move on if kinda taken off the table.

Do you think he has played well at all this year?

He has had moments where he has looked good & others where he has looked ordinary. Then he has been injured, which is no surprised as he was literally injured when we traded for him - the club basically purchased a broken car for full retail

Ill try once more.
But did you get laid after it? Because then it could be worth the cost.

IMG_0451.gif

Remove this Banner Ad

Back