The USA Sports Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Well sort of. If the team who first gets the ball scores a TD then yes it’s the end of the game. If they score a FG then the other team gets a shot.

Before the rule change it was silly. If you won the toss you could travel 30-40 yds and win with a field goal.
Oh so you can still win with a TD? That's so dumb.

Just play OT, a set amount of over time. That's the point of it. Just keep playing the game to the clock, whoever is in front at the end of the clock wins.

NFL is so weird.

Just play OT, a set amount of over time. That's the point of it. Just keep playing the game to the clock, whoever is in front at the end of the clock wins.

NFL is so weird.
Don't think that works in the NFL, not as many scoring opps as basketball or AFL. In 10 mins of OT you may have only one drive each.

College football does it different and has some merit. There's no clock.

Each team has a shot at opponents 25yd line (i.e just 25yds to TD) - that's first OT period.
If still tied in 2nd OT period they again each start from opponents 25yd line but this timeif score a TD they have to go for a 2 pt conversion (on 3yd line)

If still tied from third attempt onwards it's all 2pt conversions until a winner.

NFL is so weird.

Golden point is a pretty common rule, if anything NFL gives teams more of a chance by not counting a FG as game ending.

In NRL a team could go up the other end without losing possession and score a try and win in OT.

Baseball in a way favours the team batting 2nd.
Opposition score and its a walk off homer. No chance to respond.

Team batting first scores and the other team gets their at bat to respond.

Baseball in a way favours the team batting 2nd.
Opposition score and its a walk off homer. No chance to respond.

Team batting first scores and the other team gets their at bat to respond.
The team batting first has no right to respond in that case because they batted first in that inning. They've literally had more opportunities to score than the team they lost to.

Scoring runs in baseball is much harder than cricket. If anything super overs are a huge advantage to the side batting 2nd.

The team batting first has no right to respond in that case because they batted first in that inning. They've literally had more opportunities to score than the team they lost to.

Scoring runs in baseball is much harder than cricket. If anything super overs are a huge advantage to the side batting 2nd.

But they don't know how many runs they need in order to win.

The rule for overtime in the playoffs changed after the 13-seconds game. Now both teams get a possession no matter what. If scores are level after that then it goes sudden death.

That’s why the 49ers have copped so many questions about why they chose to receive. I think their theory was if they matched each other after the first possession they would just need a FG to end it. But the Chiefs wanted the ball second so they knew exactly what they needed. Mahomes wouldn’t have run it that 4th and 1 if they had received the kickoff for example.

Personally don’t really think it was the difference. You’d back Mahomes to get the job done either way.

But they don't know how many runs they need in order to win.
Yeah as I said this isn't cricket where you change your batting approach based on how many runs you need to get.

You can't really do that in baseball because you only have 3 outs and batting is a lot more difficult. You just go up there and try and hit the ball in play.

The home team bats 2nd and wins about 54% of regulation games but only 52% of extra innings games. You'd expect it to be higher than 54% if there was any advantage batting last.

Actually I was wrong there. That’s the rule in regular season but as 99 Problems points out they changed rules in the playoffs a year or two ago so each team guaranteed a possession even if a TD

Basketball and football have it right.

Over time or extra time. Just the game keeps going with all normal rules, with just more time added.

All these other ways are convoluted and dumb IMO.
And then you have the AFL’s version of extra time in finals. Two three minute quarters.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Basketball and football have it right.

Over time or extra time. Just the game keeps going with all normal rules, with just more time added.

All these other ways are convoluted and dumb IMO.

You're right, football's extra time is regularly exciting and worthwhile and never at all just 30 minutes of teams passing it around waiting for pens.

Sorry, should have kept reading before responding.

Interestingly, it's come out that several 9'ers players didn't know the new rules. Pretty ******* embarrassing tbh.

They thought they won with a FG?

They thought they won with a FG?
No they weren't aware that a TD didn't win the game on the first possession. Teams have historically always elected to receive first because there was no guarantee their offence would see the ball otherwise.

I'm still of the opinion you're best off going first anyway. You get to set the target and put the pressure on - but even if both SF and KC scored TD's on their first drives, SF then get the ball back and only have to score a FG to win from there.

I get why they took the 3 in OT but I would've risked that 4th down going for 7. Mahomes was going to be very difficult to stop anyway, as proved to be the case.

Sorry, should have kept reading before responding.

Interestingly, it's come out that several 9'ers players didn't know the new rules. Pretty ******* embarrassing tbh.
That's on the coaches though. KC players said coaches had hammered to them the changes.

Niners coach in defending why he elected to receive first has said he wanted the ball third!! i.e thinking both teams fail on first attempt then Niners can win on a min. FG. That's high risk against Mahomes

That's on the coaches though. KC players said coaches had hammered to them the changes.

Niners coach in defending why he elected to receive first has said he wanted the ball third!! i.e thinking both teams fail on first attempt then Niners can win on a min. FG. That's high risk against Mahomes
Oh don't disagree. It's just embarrassing they didn't know as they went and did the coin toss.

It is high risk but I still think it's ultimately the higher percentage play. The alternative is that Mahomes scores a TD first, you then need to match it and then hope he fails the second time.

At least going first, you'd theoretically get the ball twice compared to his once (had the scores been matched on the first drives).

Might be a dumb question but why cant you just play extra time in the NFL?? All normal rules, just more time, whoever is in front at the end, wins.
Far more physical sport. The 9'ers defence was absolutely rooted at the end of the game yesterday.

Btw, yesterday finished with 3 seconds on the clock. Essentially was exactly what you're suggesting.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back