Analysis The Rebuild Of Essendon And North Melbourne And Their Future Prospects

Which team has the better on-field prospects?

• Essendon

Votes: 128 46.4%
  • North Melbourne

Votes: 148 53.6%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Fun fact; when Essendon played North, Essendon was the less experienced side.

Yeah having 307 gamer Todd Goldstein and 271 gamer Jack Ziebell drastically skews our average games-played stat. Meanwhile Heppell and Shiel were your most experienced players both sitting at around 200~ games.

Reddit is down so I decided to have my own crack at it.

A combined Essendon/NMFC squad 'roughly' based on 2023 form. I've tried to account for injuries or other circumstances (aka Tarryn Thomas) where reasonable, as well.

COMBINED SQUAD

B. Andrew McGrath - Ben McKay - Jordan Ridley

Hb. Harry Sheezel - Griffin Logue - Bailey Scott

C. Nic Martin - Zac Merrett - Jy Simpkin

Hf. Archie Perkins - Peter Wright - Tarryn Thomas

F. Kyle Langford - Nick Larkey - Cam Zurhaar

R. Todd Goldstein - Luke Davies Uniacke - Darcy Parish

Ic. Dylan Shiel, Jake Stringer, Will Phillips, Sam Durham

Sub: Mason Redman or George Wardlaw
You lose me when you picked Bailey Scott over a guy who literally will be in the conversation for All Australian honours come years end (Mason Redman) as a starter.

Simpkin is a midfielder not a wingmen so did not consider him there. Good attempt though and fairly well balanced. I would suggest we would need to be adding a genuine small forward in lieu of one of the 4 marking mid sized forwards you’ve named (Perkins, Thomas, Langford, Zurhaar). Stringer will be a starter in place of Perkins if I’m to go one step further.

Last edited:
Your squad is okay (a bit of Essendon bias but that's natural), but your subs are atrocious lol.
Eh, I don't like putting kids as the sub. Better for the old guys who can be a pseudo coach on the bench there.

Yeah having 307 gamer Todd Goldstein and 271 gamer Jack Ziebell drastically skews our average games-played stat. Meanwhile Heppell and Shiel were your most experienced players both sitting at around 200~ games.

Shiel was a non event so we pretty much played a man down ;):tearsofjoy:

Reddit is down so I decided to have my own crack at it.

A combined Essendon/NMFC squad 'roughly' based on 2023 form. I've tried to account for injuries or other circumstances (aka Tarryn Thomas) where reasonable, as well.

COMBINED SQUAD

B. Andrew McGrath - Ben McKay - Jordan Ridley

Hb. Harry Sheezel - Griffin Logue - Bailey Scott

C. Nic Martin - Zac Merrett - Jy Simpkin

Hf. Archie Perkins - Peter Wright - Tarryn Thomas

F. Kyle Langford - Nick Larkey - Cam Zurhaar

R. Todd Goldstein - Luke Davies Uniacke - Darcy Parish

Ic. Dylan Shiel, Jake Stringer, Will Phillips, Sam Durham

Sub: Mason Redman or George Wardlaw

"roughly" is an understatement....

Bailey Scott over Redman.

Griffin Logue over Laverde? Oh sorry he has more hitouts...........

that's where i stopped.......

jesus lol did you even research this at all?

1686636258268.png

1686636474489.png

Last edited:
Sorry if I gave you the impression this was a scientific endeavour that I was charging money for and claiming as expert analysis.

But no; I based it on watching the games.

And while watching those games, I saw Essendon supporters frequently call Laverde a spud as he gets beaten by his opponents consistently, whereas Logue might be the single most under-rated key defender in the AFL this season.

That's what I based it on.

Sorry if I gave you the impression this was a scientific endeavour that I was charging money for and claiming as expert analysis.

But no; I based it on watching the games.

And while watching those games, I saw Essendon supporters frequently call Laverde a spud as he gets beaten by his opponents consistently, whereas Logue might be the single most under-rated key defender in the AFL this season.

That's what I based it on.

id question how many games you watch if that's how you came up with that list. But lets be frank, you just tried to fit as much blue in it that you could.

if you're going to put a list together you should at least do at least minimal basic research for it - or open yourself up to be criticised. most of the list though is pretty spot on.

Logue is better than Laverde although those 2 along with BZT are very meh.

based on what metric is Logue better than Laverde? it certainly isn't statistics.

its not true on this planet, or any other one for that matter.

Even when North are losing every week, their backline players stats should be inflated. Even still Laverde comes out better in almost every key stat, except hitouts lol.

Last edited:
id question how many games you watch if thats how you came up with that list.

based on what metric is Logue better than Laverde? it certainly isn't statistics.

its not true on this planet, or any other one for that matter.

Even when North are losing every week, their backline stats should be inflated. Even still Laverde comes out better.

Logue is a better athlete can play on smalls better than Laverde.

Logue averages more intercept possessions, more intercept marks, more contested marks, more spoils and has a better 1v1 loss % than Laverde.

Would say they the most important stats for KPD who are poor users of the ball which both Laverde and Logue are.

It’s worth noting that Laverde’s stats are impacted by his game where he got subbed out.

Tbh all of Logue, BZT and Laverde are so bad if we were to combine teams I think coaches would likely just move Ridley to CHB and play a smaller more skilled backline.

"roughly" is an understatement....

Bailey Scott over Redman.

Griffin Logue over Laverde? Oh sorry he has more hitouts...........

that's where i stopped.......

Do you even look at anything other than Kicks and Handballs?

Better loss %, better 1v1 wins, almost double the contest marks, 50% more spoils and over 25% more intercept marks.

that's where I stopped......

1686637766343.png
1686637783884.png

(Log in to remove this ad.)

A semi final exit would be bloody heaven

Straight sets exit also equals losing a semi final.

Think we're ready for 2 final loses in the 1 season.

No No No GIF

North had averaged a few more games, but were younger IIRC

You have quite a few more players in their prime compared to North, Ess list is two years ahead of North. We have a number of over 30’splayers whom to be honest are holding us back a bit

You have quite a few more players in their prime compared to North, Ess list is two years ahead of North. We have a number of over 30’splayers whom to be honest are holding us back a bit

North have a reasonable best half dozen or so players, but the senior group is pretty cooked and the role players simply aren't very good.

The 2022 draft cohort looks like a very strong one league-wide, so was a good one to have a couple of high-end picks in. Wardlaw & Sheezel both look like they'll be top-end players.

Larkey's kicking goals on a consistent basis in a dreadful team.

Imagine him playing for Essendon 😲

Think Wright should be cut some slack coming back from a 12 week shoulder injury.

Wright’s a lot like Ben Brown as an athletic smart leading 200cm tall forward with good reach. Get him good delivery and he can’t be stopped but he lacks the tricks to impact the game forward of the ball in other ways. Like Brown he has a high centre of gravity which means he struggles in a wrestle.

I still think he’s a very valuable player given his ability in the ruck and accurate long goal kicking.

Larkey's kicking goals on a consistent basis in a dreadful team.

Imagine him playing for Essendon 😲
second in the Coleman, playing in the second last team, and getting double teamed most weeks by the oppos top 2 defenders because we have no other key position forwards to occupy them.

Herculian effort

Dons midfield looks rather set...set to the point I reckon Shiel is now depth...and we're yet to see tsatas play.

CHF is a real need and whilst guelfi and Snelling play roles, our smalls aren't the best. Reckon we can carry one of these guys at most and need someone pacier and dangerous around goals

Backline may not have elite KPs but the guys we have and the system Brad has in place is effective when it works.

North could genuinely roll into round 1 next year with Aidan Corr as their only defender over 190 cm. What a time to be alive.

Back