Analysis The Rebuild Of Essendon And North Melbourne And Their Future Prospects

Which team has the better on-field prospects?

• Essendon

Votes: 128 46.4%
  • North Melbourne

Votes: 148 53.6%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

In a combined North/Essendon side (aka Satan's alliance), based on 2023 form the NMFC players who would most likely make the list are as follows (in no particular order);

LDU
Simpkin
Sheezel
McKay
T. Thomas
Goldstein
Logue
Sheezel
Larkey
B. Scott (not that one)

Wardlaw, Zurhaar, and Will Phillips could make a strong argument as well, but they've all been inconsistent (or are brand new, in Wardlaw's case). So I'd say they probably deserve to be included, but wouldn't lose any sleep over their omission.

Not sure how you come to Larkey > Wright conclusion though.

He has more goals than both of them combined.

Sure, blame injuries or whatever, but facts are facts.

488 vs 152

Facts are facts.

Jake Stringer is almost 30.

Larkey averages more goals a game than Stringer, for what it's worth.

Attachments

• 1686559691934.png
    1686559691934.png
    3.8 KB · Views: 11
He has more goals than both of them combined.

Sure, blame injuries or whatever, but facts are facts.
i guess it does make sense that stringer has spent more game time in the centre and peter wright has just played the one game this year, i guess by any standards peter wright is better cos he kicked 5 this week and larkey kicked 4?

it's a useless stat to compare. wright is a good forward, larkey is good, just accept that someone's opinion is different than yours

Amazon Studios GIF by Amazon Prime Video
Get them believing that the holy grail of midfields is in their grasp… then snatch it away by luring Wardlaw to Essendon where his heart truly lies… think big picture Unicorn.

B. Andrew McGrath - Ben McKay - Jordan Ridley

Hb. Mason Redman - Jayden Laverde - Luke McDonald

C. Nic Martin - Zac Merret - Sam Durham

Hf. Harry Sheezel - Jake Stringer - Archie Perkins

F. Kyle Langford - Peter Wright - Cam Zurhaar

R. Todd Goldstein - Luke Davies Uniacke - Darcy Parish

Ic. Tarryn Thomas - Bailey Scott - Dylan Shiel - George Wardlaw

Have at it.. North have some good youf, but only 7 Roos make my combined side
Essendon just offered $1m a year to bloke not good enough to make your fanciful team. Curious.

Essendon just offered $1m a year to bloke not good enough to make your fanciful team. Curious.
Even non Essendon supporters would appreciate that Peter Wright is a better forward than Nick Larkey

I highly doubt we offered anywhere near that if we were even interested to be honest. Managers drumming up business and using Chinese whispers to there own clients advantage.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Even non Essendon supporters would appreciate that Peter Wright is a better forward than Nick Larkey

I highly doubt we offered anywhere near that if we were even interested to be honest. Managers drumming up business and using Chinese whispers to there own clients advantage.
I dunno mate. I heard it from from Eddie McGuire's kid. He'd know.

B. Andrew McGrath - Ben McKay - Jordan Ridley

Hb. Mason Redman - Jayden Laverde - Luke McDonald

C. Nic Martin - Zac Merret - Sam Durham

Hf. Harry Sheezel - Jake Stringer - Archie Perkins

F. Kyle Langford - Peter Wright - Cam Zurhaar

R. Todd Goldstein - Luke Davies Uniacke - Darcy Parish

Ic. Tarryn Thomas - Bailey Scott - Dylan Shiel - George Wardlaw

Have at it.. North have some good youf, but only 7 Roos make my combined side
7/18 vs vs 11/18 sounds about right given the two clubs' ladder positions. There's a few choices maybe I'd change in favour of North, but given those players' inexperience you could argue against them just as easily. I reckon this is a fair crack.

Larkey vs Wright is probably my only major change.

In a combined North/Essendon side (aka Satan's alliance), based on 2023 form the NMFC players who would most likely make the list are as follows (in no particular order);

LDU
Simpkin
Sheezel
McKay
T. Thomas
Goldstein
Logue
Sheezel
Larkey
B. Scott (not that one)

Wardlaw, Zurhaar, and Will Phillips could make a strong argument as well, but they've all been inconsistent (or are brand new, in Wardlaw's case). So I'd say they probably deserve to be included, but wouldn't lose any sleep over their omission.

If you put down the top 4 mids for both sides and then take 4 carry overs it becomes clear who has the better ‘now’ component

LDU - Merret (Merret - he is literally in the top 5 for coaches votes and will be one of the leading vote getters on Brownlow night despite being ineligible)

Simpkin - Parish (Jy is nice and can do some sweet things but again, Parish is literally one of, if not the best clearance player in the comp)

Cunnington - Shiel (Is Cunnington still a thing? Shiel is at least providing something when fit so again, prolly takes the points here)

Phillips - Caldwell (Caldwell and it’s not even close. Will has had a good fortnight but Jye having been given more responsibility is doing equally well whilst hitting the scoreboard too which edges him over the line here)

Wardlaw - Hobbs (Hobbs is showing more than Wardlaw but is 12 months older so may discount the difference. Last month has been more impressive than George’s first few games but again, reminding you, Hobbs is 12 months older)

Thomas - Perkins (Thomas could be anything, I rate him as high as LDU IF he gets it together. Should Tarryn focus on his footy rather than his Snapchat account he could be a superstar. Perkins is building nicely and perhaps has a better body of work doing a similar role)

Scott - N.Martin (is this even a question?)

Some others explained for you;

Larkey - Wright (I would hazard a guess that most people would take Wright ahead of Larkey as a much better forward. Argue all you want, Wright is one of the best kicks for goal in the comp)

Luke McDonald - Dyson Heppel - Hep has been serviceable, McDonald is a decent role player and would be a better contributor in a better team imho.

7/18 vs vs 11/18 sounds about right given the two clubs' ladder positions. There's a few choices maybe I'd change in favour of North, but given those players' inexperience you could argue against them just as easily. I reckon this is a fair crack.

Larkey vs Wright is probably my only major change.
Larkey is only less than 2 seasons ahead of Wright for experience so unsure if he is that much further along tbh.

Larkey is only less than 2 seasons ahead of Wright for experience so unsure if he is that much further along tbh.

Oh no, I'm saying I'd pick Larkey ahead of Wright.

Larkey already has a better career average and is only getting better.
By the time he turns 26, he's likely booted over 100 goals more than Wright and that is largely due to Wright taking so long to finally put it all together.

Both are gun forwards but Larkey's better. Be insane to see what he can become once North Melbourne starting winning games.

By the time he turns 26, he's likely booted over 100 goals more than Wright and that is largely due to Wright taking so long to finally put it all together.

Both are gun forwards but Larkey's better. Be insane to see what he can become once North Melbourne starting winning games.

Wright’s 2022 was better then anything Larkey has produced though.

It’s a moot discussion though as they both would easily make the combined best 22 imo

Wright’s career average isn’t just effected by being apart of a start up club but he’s also rucked for patches throughout his career. I don’t think Ive ever seen Larkey play ruck for long periods of time.

I dunno, obvious Essendon bias but Wright is a better kick for goal which is the main thing for a key forward wouldn’t you think

If you put down the top 4 mids for both sides and then take 4 carry overs it becomes clear who has the better ‘now’ component

LDU - Merret (Merret - he is literally in the top 5 for coaches votes and will be one of the leading vote getters on Brownlow night despite being ineligible)

Simpkin - Parish (Jy is nice and can do some sweet things but again, Parish is literally one of, if not the best clearance player in the comp)

Cunnington - Shiel (Is Cunnington still a thing? Shiel is at least providing something when fit so again, prolly takes the points here)

Phillips - Caldwell (Caldwell and it’s not even close. Will has had a good fortnight but Jye having been given more responsibility is doing equally well whilst hitting the scoreboard too which edges him over the line here)

Wardlaw - Hobbs (Hobbs is showing more than Wardlaw but is 12 months older so may discount the difference. Last month has been more impressive than George’s first few games but again, reminding you, Hobbs is 12 months older)

Thomas - Perkins (Thomas could be anything, I rate him as high as LDU IF he gets it together. Should Tarryn focus on his footy rather than his Snapchat account he could be a superstar. Perkins is building nicely and perhaps has a better body of work doing a similar role)

Larkey - Wright (I would hazard a guess that most people would take Wright ahead of Larkey as a much better forward. Argue all you want, Wright is one of the best kicks for goal in the comp)

Luke McDonald - Dyson Heppel - Hep has been serviceable, McDonald is a decent role player and would be a better contributor in a better team imho.

Classic post

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wright’s 2022 was better then anything Larkey has produced though.

It’s a moot discussion though as they both would easily make the combined best 22 imo

I agree.
Only thing I'd argue is Wright gets a little more support. It means he can get separation with more one-on-one contests as defenders get drawn away.
In the case of Larkey, he is getting double-teamed.
If Coleman-Jones can get a wriggle on, Larkey will start getting an opportunity to win many more contested marking duels.

This post is hilarious.

Back