The on topic thread 4.0

Remove this Banner Ad

I'm not sure I follow what you're asking? I'm just saying he's had a better season than Haaland.

He's the talisman striker for his side, I don't see it as that different to Haaland to the extent you can dismiss his superior stats.

Where did I rubbish anything?
Yeah maybe I got myself in a knot, I don't know.

Not sure I am dismissing Watkins, more just that Haaland's numbers so far aren't awful.

Being in TOTS over Haaland isn't controversial.

He's a victim of the standards he set last season in a way. But I think people are going well over the top with him and there's a fair bit of bandwagon jumping going on.

Could still end up having one of the best seasons by a forward of all time.
Definitely. Sure, not as good as he was last season, but he's still scored a lot, and anybody who wouldn't want him in their side is kidding themselves.

Yeah maybe I got myself in a knot, I don't know.

Not sure I am dismissing Watkins, more just that Haaland's numbers so far aren't awful.

Being in TOTS over Haaland isn't controversial.

Definitely. Sure, not as good as he was last season, but he's still scored a lot, and anybody who wouldn't want him in their side is kidding themselves.

All I said on Haaland was that he was having an underwhelming season and I'm not sure he should make TOTS. I'd actually forgotten just how well Watkins was going but he seems the very obvious candidate to be in over him.

I think he's underwhelming relative to the standards he's set himself. I thought that was reasonably clear. Of course he's had a good season by most players standards but even amongst his competition for best striker in the league he's not been the best this season.
If you want to be underwhelmed by a 30 in 37 appearances start to the season I guess that's up to you. Top goalscorer in the league despite missing 6 games suggests he's doing OK against his peers as well.

If you want to be underwhelmed by a 30 in 37 appearances start to the season I guess that's up to you. Top goalscorer in the league despite missing 6 games suggests he's doing OK against his peers as well.

That was my point above about what constitutes his peers. I think Foden has been your best player this season by some distance and he does it in the big games. Haaland has struggled to make an impact when it matters.

Heard a stat that Haaland has failed to score in basically every 'big' game City have played this season. Surely those were the games he was brought in for, not for scoring hattricks against the Lutons and Sheffield Uniteds of the league?
3 against United, 2 against Chelsea, 1 against Liverpool.

3 against United, 2 against Chelsea, 1 against Liverpool.

Are Chelsea and United big games? Guess you can count them if you want. So 1 game against a fellow Top 4 side, granted he's probably not played some of them a second time.

That was my point above about what constitutes his peers. I think Foden has been your best player this season by some distance and he does it in the big games. Haaland has struggled to make an impact when it matters.
Rodri has been our best imo.

Are Chelsea and United big games? Guess you can count them if you want. So 1 game against a fellow Top 4 side, granted he's probably not played some of them a second time.
I wonder how many Watkins has against top 4 sides this season.

And yeah United (particularly) and Chelsea are big games for us imo.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I wonder how many Watkins has against top 4 sides this season.

And yeah United (particularly) and Chelsea are big games for us imo.

1 against Chelsea, 3 against Brighton (and an assist), 1 against West Ham (and an assist), 1 against Spurs, 1 against Newcastle. Again, depends what you want to call a 'big game' but those are teams having good seasons.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back