Analysis the Josh Treacy effect

Remove this Banner Ad

Cat Fumbling GIF by Originals

Dropped some easy marks. He takes them then his game and impact looks drastically different. I'd still drop Taberner or Fyfe before him. I want to see him & Amiss working together.
Worrying thing is he drops easy marks at Peel too.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Worrying thing is he drops easy marks at Peel too.
He did last year but in the couple of practise games he was clunking them. It’s up to him now to start doing it the firsts. Mind you, he was no orphan in the drop mark olympics yesterday.🤦🏻‍♂️

Despite his putrid game yesterday need to persist because we do desperately need a genuine second kpf option .

Probably sooner rather than later 2 because both tabs and Fyfe look just about done.

Even if it only ends up bumping his trade value at the end of year (if indeed we do manage to entice a Naughton or georgiades) he could at least soften the blow trade currency wise by at least providing some value going back the other way

Yeah we simply have to pump development time into him.

Same with Amiss although I feel as a second year with an interrupted pre-season both years Jye could benefit from some WAFL as well.

He's shown enough his first year that he can a) kick goals and b) apply pressure as well.

Otherwise we just circle back around next year to the same s**t with an even slower Taberner and Treacy has only played another handful of AFL games.

Yeah we simply have to pump development time into him.

Same with Amiss although I feel as a second year with an interrupted pre-season both years Jye could benefit from some WAFL as well.

He's shown enough his first year that he can a) kick goals and b) apply pressure as well.

Otherwise we just circle back around next year to the same s**t with an even slower Taberner and Treacy has only played another handful of AFL games.

My only question is....

Should Taberner play Full forward the whole season while Amiss and Tracy Rorate the CHF spot every 2nd game?

My only question is....

Should Taberner play Full forward the whole season while Amiss and Tracy Rorate the CHF spot every 2nd game?
No. IMO we've gone past Tabs.

Should be Fyfe, Treacy, Amiss, Shultz, Switta and Freddy with Sturt rotating through.

Last edited:
Same old Treacy for me.

Great intensity and kick but lacks footy smarts and isn't clean enough for an AFL player. He needs to improve in both areas before we pick him. He needs to hit the WAFL and play as a high half forward and get the ball 20-plus times a week.

I would prefer to play smaller. No Tabs and Treacy. Tabs isnt fit, or the injuries have finally got the better of him.

Switta Amiss Freddy
Shultz Jackson Fyfe

With Walters and potentially Sturt working through.

No. IMO we've gone past Tabs.

Should be Fyfe, Tabs, Amiss, Shultz, Switta and Freddy with Sturt rotating through.

Could we fit all of Traecy, Amiss and Taberner in the same starting 18 or 23?

Or is that too heavy or slow to have 3 of those 190cm players in the side?

We also have Josh Corbett at 190cm as well.

Crazy to think Traecy in his 1st season in 2021, he got a massive run of games: 13 goals and 10 behinds from 15 AFL games.

He then only played 4 AFL games last season. I dont know if he was injured or Justin Longmuir settled with a semi decent forward line when freo were winning games.

I actually hope that Traecy doesnt get dropped. I see him having good games vs North and eagles in the next 2 games.

I do have an interesting opinion on Tracy. I still think he is still one season away from really good season. His slow improvement reminds me of Matt Taberner in his 1st 3-5 seasons. but that is just me thinking that.

Could we fit all of Traecy, Amiss and Taberner in the same starting 18 or 23?

Or is that too heavy or slow to have 3 of those 190cm players in the side?

We also have Josh Corbett at 190cm as well.

Crazy to think Traecy in his 1st season in 2021, he got a massive run of games: 13 goals and 10 behinds from 15 AFL games.

He then only played 4 AFL games last season. I dont know if he was injured or Justin Longmuir settled with a semi decent forward line when freo were winning games.

I actually hope that Traecy doesnt get dropped. I see him having good games vs North and eagles in the next 2 games.

I do have an interesting opinion on Tracy. I still think he is still one season away from really good season. His slow improvement reminds me of Matt Taberner in his 1st 3-5 seasons. but that is just me thinking that.
Sorry, I meant Treacy in place of Tabs in that lineup.

andreww90 made a pertinent point in the Longmuir thread about the coaching staff potentially getting sucked into thinking we're the finished package.

Performances like yesterday show we aren't a Richmond 2017 and that there is still a way to go. Not an excuse because we know this squad is capable of so much more regardless of their relative inexperience, but it's the reality of our overall situation.

Treacy was rubbish like most of the forwards but he's also a young player in a position that's notorious for slow development. Dropping him back to the WAFL after one game where the midfielders/half backs all decided to put the kettle on and have a lie down before making a decisive forward entry would be short-sighted given our dearth of key forwards.

He needs games so when we are in the window, we have a 2nd/3rd tall with at least some experience...or we already know he's not good enough.

andreww90 made a pertinent point in the Longmuir thread about the coaching staff potentially getting sucked into thinking we're the finished package.

Performances like yesterday show we aren't a Richmond 2017 and that there is still a way to go. Not an excuse because we know this squad is capable of so much more regardless of their relative inexperience, but it's the reality of our overall situation.

Treacy was rubbish like most of the forwards but he's also a young player in a position that's notorious for slow development. Dropping him back to the WAFL after one game where the midfielders/half backs all decided to put the kettle on and have a lie down before making a decisive forward entry would be short-sighted given our dearth of key forwards.

He needs games so when we are in the window, we have a 2nd/3rd tall with at least some experience...or we already know he's not good enough.
I can categorically tell you they don’t think that. Conversations I’ve had, said that fans expect us to just continue on an upward trajectory, and it often doesn’t happen like that. The point was made that we are the third youngest list in the comp this year. I can tell you we are having a solid crack at naughton.

Performances like yesterday show we aren't a Richmond 2017
Richmond is an interesting case study. In 2017, sure they got their obligatory freebie in round 1 to kick start their year. But lost four games in a row across rounds 6-9, including getting smacked by Adelaide.

They didn't have great starts to their other premiership years really.

The wc in 2018 started with a bit of a kicking at home to Sydeny.

It happens.

I wouldn't get too carried away with 22 rounds to go.

Same old Treacy for me.

Great intensity and kick but lacks footy smarts and isn't clean enough for an AFL player. He needs to improve in both areas before we pick him. He needs to hit the WAFL and play as a high half forward and get the ball 20-plus times a week.

I would prefer to play smaller. No Tabs and Treacy. Tabs isnt fit, or the injuries have finally got the better of him.

Switta Amiss Freddy
Shultz Jackson Fyfe

With Walters and potentially Sturt working through.
Sadly, I have to agree with this. He’s never really shown any affinity for the position of 2nd tall forward whereas Amiss looks like a natural up there. Like Tabs, Treacy seems to let the defender dominate him, he doesn’t create separation in a contest and he’s not particularly strong overhead when he’s in a contest. I’m not writing him off as a forward, we all know how desperate we are to find one but it’s looking 50/50 at the moment whether he can do it or not.

For what it’s worth I think Treacy could be a really good 2nd tall defender. He’s quick, aggressive, has terrific repeat efforts and a reliable kick. I know we don’t need another defender but I’d hate to lose him just because he doesn’t excel in the position we want him to play. If we do lose him I could see him becoming another Croad or Tarrant type loss but we won’t get anything for him. For all we know he could be another James Sicily but with a bit of extra height.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back