Analysis the Josh Treacy effect

Remove this Banner Ad

Docker duo ‘has a nice ring to it’
Josh Treacy spoke about new draftee key forward Jye Amiss on 6PR

Seen as one half of the future of Fremantle’s forwardline, 19-year-old Josh Treacy is excited to get to work with fellow key forward Jye Amiss with the hopes the pair can become a dangerous duo at the Club.

Amiss has mostly been training away from the main group since he was drafted but Treacy is excited about what the 196cm Amiss can bring.

The pair arrived at opposite ends of the draft, with Treacy a rookie selection in 2020 and Amiss a top-10 pick in 2021.

But Treacy has already shown he has ability beyond his draft position, playing 15 games in his debut season highlighted by a three-goal haul against the Western Bulldogs.

With Amiss, Fremantle have added both talent and depth to the forward ranks working under new assistant coach Jaymie Graham.

“It's obviously exciting to have Jye join us,” Treacy told 6PR.

“It's been a little bit hard as he's obviously only just joined training where you're still going through those early stages. The first few days you spend at the Club, they hold you back (from full training) and things like that.

“There's probably been limited opportunities to do stuff together but, absolutely I feel that (the Treacy-Amiss duo) has a good ring to it for the next few years, that's for sure.

“(Jaymie Graham’s) another resource that we get to utilise who's had a lot of experience with some pretty high calibre players.

“To have someone of his liking at the club and to be able to work with him closely is really exciting.”

Physically, Treacy is doing everything he can to get in shape for 2022.

“I probably got a little bit heavy towards the end of last year and my fitness is obviously something that I've always had to continue to work on,” Treacy said.

“I've really honed in on that, sacrificed a few things, in terms of eating and going out and stuff like that.

“I did my training with certain types of guys who I knew were going to train hard. I got extra advice off the Club about where they wanted me and what their expectations were of me and I worked off that.”

As far as Treacy’s goals for 2022, he wants to hit the scoreboard more.

“I'm not always going to base my games off how many goals I can kick but I would like it (Treacy’s 2022 goal tally) to be a significant number to really assert myself into that team and into the AFL. Upwards of 25 I'd be absolutely rapt with,” Treacy said.

Attachments

• 1639031505488.png
    1639031505488.png
    234.2 KB · Views: 165
Last edited by a moderator:

Ehh, the context was that he would rather 10 tackles because those 10 tackles would cause 10 scoring opportunities, Mayne was a ripper tackler back in the day

4 goals vs 10 shots at goal, back then I'd take the 10, nowadays as a Freo supporter probably lock in the 4 lol, the 10 could be OOTF

It would be nice to know his measurements year to year. Weight, has height changed etc.

I struggled to put him in my B22 in the other thread. The more I think about it, I still don't know how to het him in the team if Lobb and Tabs are there, unless we back his tackling pressure. Having said that, for his development and confidence we need him in the team.

Still one of the best things about last season. Emergence of Brayshaw - Big Sean - Mundy - Treacy.

It would be nice to know his measurements year to year. Weight, has height changed etc.

I struggled to put him in my B22 in the other thread. The more I think about it, I still don't know how to het him in the team if Lobb and Tabs are there, unless we back his tackling pressure. Having said that, for his development and confidence we need him in the team.

Still one of the best things about last season. Emergence of Brayshaw - Big Sean - Mundy - Treacy.
Treacy brings that aggression that is required to play good team footy.
Lobb really needs to be that genuine ruck/forward which means he should be further away from goals, get around the ground and giving Darcy a break.
We have the speed, laser kicks to open up the ground, last thing we need is congestion in the forward half.

Got an interesting list of Tall forwards.... Lobb, Taberner, Traecy and not Jye Amiss.

going to be interesting on how they will be played next season.

I dont think all 4 will play in the same Game unless Lobb and Taberner are FF and CHF, Treacy is the 3rd tall and Amiss starts on the Bench. Cox can play forward as well. But will be staying in the backline

I think Best case scenario if All 4 are fully fit, Tabs and Lobb take the 2 KPF spots then Treacy and Amiss both play 10-12 games each rotating as a 3rd tall and bench.

But lets be realistic here. None of these 4 blokes will go through the season uninjured. Tabs kicked 37 goals and 17 behinds from 16 games last season which is good. I would love to see tabs play all 22 games next season. I wont be upset if he plays 17 or 18 games again. It seems that tabs and Lobb will be freos main KPFs for 2022, 2023 and possibly 2024. By 2024, both Amiss and treacy should have 3-4 years of development and be our CHF and FF.

Treacy kicked 13 goals from 15 games last season. I know this mind sound negative for me in saying this....

I wont be upset if Treacy plays 10-12 AFL games next season and still kicks 10-15 goals. He is a 2nd year tall forward and will take time for him to develop. You would think when freo play finals, whether its 2022 or 2023, he should be in that best 22 kicking goals constantly.

Chris Mayne had 3 solid seasons out of 4 in that 2012-15 period.

39 goals and 7 behinds from 24 games in 2012

37 goals and 12 behinds from 23 games in 2013

13 goals and 11 behinds from 22 games in 2014

28 goals and 17 behinds from 22 games in 2015

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Chris Mayne had 3 solid seasons out of 4 in that 2012-15 period.

39 goals and 7 behinds from 24 games in 2012

37 goals and 12 behinds from 23 games in 2013

13 goals and 11 behinds from 22 games in 2014

28 goals and 17 behinds from 22 games in 2015
This is not meant in a negative way, but do you have every Fremantle game ever just sitting in your head? :sweatsmile:

Maynes goal kicking was a tad overrated. I remember the reason he didn't miss much was the fact that predominately his shots were 15 to 20 out. By then end he couldn't even finish them off.

Maynes goal kicking was a tad overrated. I remember the reason he didn't miss much was the fact that predominately his shots were 15 to 20 out. By then end he couldn't even finish them off.
Well, I still would be happy with a forward kicking 37 or 39 from within 20m. Even from anywhere. He did and wasn't even our main goal kicker. That is probably the point. One a ton and a few others 30-40...

Sounds like a forward who got in good positions to score. JK's accuracy isn't amazingly high because he's kicking from 45 out on an angle everytime (admittedly he does bang a fair few of those in).

On SM-G955F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Remove this Banner Ad

Back