Analysis the Josh Treacy effect

Remove this Banner Ad

Alright essentially the reason why i believe hes effective is because he maximizes both tall and small.

Lobb and tabs have chemistry issues sometimes (leading to the same spot). this does not space out opposition defenders. I honestly cannot remember a time treacy blatantly leads into tabs or lobbs leading lane.

he maximizes the smalls in a somewhat counter intuitive way. The general logic is to place a tall to mark with a small to pressure. I have always thought this is to rigid in thinking. however if your small doesn't punish the opposition team, then the backmen will fly all day. when the opposition marks it you cannot pressure and they kick it outside your forward line.

locking it inside forward fifty actually increases pressure. intercept marking makes that harder. if the ball is pinging up and back it makes it harder to pressure. Its also exhausting. territory battle and the way the game is played, influence's how much pressure is applied.

When he’s in the team Shultz is a completely new player
Is that so?

Does that explain Lachie Schulz varying performances? Schulz kicked 10 goals from 5 games. thens plays 3 games and scores no goals,

Schulz and Traecy plays rounds 5 and 6 with each other, Schulz kicks 2 and 4 goals in both those games. Traecy is dropped for 3 weeks in a row, schulz doesnt kick a goal, I wanted him dropped.

Schulz and tracey play last light vs the swans in the round 10 fixture and Schulz kicks 2 goals and 3 behinds. Should of been 3 goals and 2 behinds had he nailed that set shot late in the game.

So your opinion and theory is accurate.

When he’s in the team Shultz is a completely new player
Is that so?

Does that explain Lachie Schulz varying performances? Schulz kicked 10 goals from 5 games. thens plays 3 games and scores no goals,

Schulz and Traecy plays rounds 5 and 6 with each other, Schulz kicks 2 and 4 goals in both those games. Traecy is dropped for 3 weeks in a row, schulz doesnt kick a goal, I wanted him dropped.

Schulz and tracey play last light vs the swans in the round 10 fixture and Schulz kicks 2 goals and 3 behinds. Should of been 3 goals and 2 behinds had he nailed that set shot late in the game.

Spot on.

When aerial pressure is weak, the other team can intercept mark and reduces ground ball.

Treacy providing the aerial pressure, Schulz and the smalls look better with more grounded ball.

What I love about Treacy is he provides both pressure in the air and on the ground. Extra ground pressure brings the small more into it.

Structurally very important.

Is that so?

I felt Schultz was pretty good last week against Essendon especially in the first half even though he didn’t score much. He’s a decent linkman and has improved that part of his game a lot.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Is that so?

I liked your surprise ending.

It exists. The proof is in the pudding. He plays, the forward line looks better and the smalls perform. He doesn't play and the forward line looks like sh*t.

Yep. Like the Taberner effect when he was still s**t and Pav was otherwise on his own.

Half the secret to having good medium and small forwards is having a proper set of tall forwards who can add structure and prevent opposition talls from intercepting and double teaming.

Treacy not currently a 'good' player in and of himself but the sum is greater than the parts.

I felt Schultz was pretty good last week against Essendon especially in the first half even though he didn’t score much. He’s a decent linkman and has improved that part of his game a lot.
He's kicked 12.8 IF he keeps on at this rate he's had a 25-27 goal season.

For a pressure forward, you'd take that every day of the week and twice on Sundays.

He's kicked 12.8 IF he keeps on at this rate he's had a 25-27 goal season.

For a pressure forward, you'd take that every day of the week and twice on Sundays.

Even if Schultz has a bad game by not scoring I have confidence it will not be through lack of effort and trying his guts out.

Consistency is the holy grail of all small forwards and very few nail it week in and week out. Schultz is going ok imo.

Treacy will take a while to become a goal a game player (and hopefully better than that in time) but he has a booming kick and a physical presence that will both stand him in good stead going forward from the slowish start to his career so far. I am confident he can become a very good player for us.

Even if Schultz has a bad game by not scoring I have confidence it will not be through lack of effort and trying his guts out.

Consistency is the holy grail of all small forwards and very few nail it week in and week out. Schultz is going ok imo.

The amount of time and effort that opposition teams put into planning a role against Schultz would’ve tripled from the start of the year and now I’m guessing. He’s getting much more attention, from better quality opponents so he’s going to get beat some weeks but as you say, he’ll always be giving us 100%.

Josh Treacy is the indirect reason we won now?
I feel like having 20+ inside 50s over the Swans and the fact they had no defender over 195cm may have played a factor but hey, if Treacy is the catalyst for some unintended consequences that causes us a win then I’m all for it.

Josh Treacy is the indirect reason we won now?
I feel like having 20+ inside 50s over the Swans and the fact they had no defender over 195cm may have played a factor but hey, if Treacy is the catalyst for some unintended consequences that causes us a win then I’m all for it.
Not for the win, but the forward line having some semblance of functionality.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back