Welcome Welcome To Freo Josh Corbett!!!

Remove this Banner Ad

I hadn't realised until that interview that he had missed the first half of last season injured. How many players struggle to come back from that and have an impact after they return. He had a quiet 2-3 games back but then kicked 18 goals in the last 8 rounds of VFL - having scored 23 in 17 games in 2021 in the AFL (in a struggling Suns team).

Following that trend line - he could be good for 30+ goals next year if he plays a full season. For a future fourth round pick. Seems like the perfect low risk trade.
he kicked 23 from 14 (16 technically, but he was medisub in 2 of these games) he kicked 4 on maynard once

Just a depth player. May struggle to get a game. Haselby thinks he will be competing with Treacy but they’re different sort. Corbett will be competing with Sturt for a spot. Corbett is only 190cm, Treacy is 195cm. Corbett will only be the 3rd tall. And for comparison, Brodie is 190, Fyfe 191.

I guess my only expectation would be that he takes more marks than Logue, with a marginal drop off in forward pressure. If he does that and is a better kick for goal, we could be in for a nice surprise.

On SM-G955F using BigFooty.com mobile app
He's definitely a better kick for goal, plus, as someone pointed out he moves it forward quickly from a mark when he doesn't have a shot himself. We need that.

Just a depth player. May struggle to get a game. Haselby thinks he will be competing with Treacy but they’re different sort. Corbett will be competing with Sturt for a spot. Corbett is only 190cm, Treacy is 195cm. Corbett will only be the 3rd tall. And for comparison, Brodie is 190, Fyfe 191.
3rd Tall Competition - Corbett, Sturt and Banfield.

2nd Tall Competition - Amiss, Treacy and Tabs

Main Target/Alternate Ruck - Lobb(?), Jackson (?), Darcy and Meek.

You can probably pick one from the top 2 category and obviously 2 from the bottom. Along with Freddy, Walters, Shultz and Switta. Tippa would be in that mix if given a spot.

The more I watch of his highlights the more I like this kid. Ironically not for the leading and marking (though that's always good), but for what appears to be a pretty quick footy brain and the ability to hit a lead in the i50 without holding up play.

Could be that whilst he may not shine in the way we expect, he could end up facilitating an across the board improvement in the quality of our i50 marks. If he produces half of what the video suggests, Amiss, Tabs (and Lobb if he stays) are going to love this guy.

On SM-G955F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Ah ! Thats a horrible sickness. Can go on for months.
He also had an ankle injury just before the illness. He missed a good 3-4 weeks and then when back for the first few weeks was clearly underdone and looked a to blowing and lacking his usual energy.

Although relatively quiet thought he did ok in the finals. Ball barely went forward against Claremont. In one of the finals might have been against Claremont when Peel had a decent run in the middle of the second (Erasmus kicked two goals). On the wing there was a defensive three or four effort from him which caused a turnover.

D*#k heads like Goss and co. Will say he is lazy based on glimpse of Treacy at the back end. In reality the illness zapped all his usual energy but he seemed to be working back into it and hopefully all good for pre-season.

Was a development year for Treacy. He’ll know what he needs to work on. He showed some good signs as a pinch hit ruck and there were a couple games earlier in the season where he was quiet in the first half but then went beast mode marking everything and kicking goals.

I was impressed with Amiss as well. Coming back from Kidney injury also looked short of his usual running fitness but showed a bit in those finals. The most impressive moment for him came late in the Collingwood SF where he led out just outside 50 immediately spun around and hit up Logue on the lead. Now that is a natural forward. Both (Treacy and Amiss) I expect to make a step up. Along with Corbett and Sturt will help look after the the second/third tall options. We need more of Tabs next year to support these guys.

I expect nothing less than top 8 but wr may take a slight step back next season in order to take two steps forward in 2024. Game time for Johnson and Erasmus with Mundy and Tucker gone. Blake Acres gone to be replaced by younger players like Sharp (if we can secure the trade) and Henry.

Last edited:
He also had an ankle injury just before the illness. He missed a good 3-4 weeks and then when back for the first few weeks was clearly underdone and looked a to blowing and lacking his usual energy.

Although relatively quiet thought he did ok in the finals. Ball barely went forward against Claremont. In one of the finals might have been against Claremont when Peel had a decent run in the middle of the second (Erasmus kicked two goals). On the wing there was a defensive three or four effort from him which caused a turnover.

D*#k heads like Goss and co. Will say he is lazy based on glimpse of Treacy at the back end. In reality the illness zapped all his usual energy but he seemed to be working back into it and hopefully all good for pre-season.

Was a development year for Treacy. He’ll know what he needs to work on. He showed some good signs as a pinch hit ruck and there were a couple games earlier in the season where he was quiet in the first half but then went beast mode marking everything and kicking goals.

I was impressed with Amiss as well. Coming back from Kidney injury also looked short of his usual running fitness but showed a bit in those finals. The most impressive moment for him came late in the Collingwood SF where he led out just outside 50 immediately spun around and hit up Logue on the lead. Now that is a natural forward. Both (Treacy and Amiss) I expect to make a step up. Along with Corbett and Sturt will help look after the the second tall options. We need more of Tabs next year to support these guys.

I expect nothing less than top 8 but wr may take a slight step back next season in order to take two steps forward in 2024. Game time for Johnson and Erasmus with Mundy and Tucker gone. Blake Acres gone to be replaced by younger players like Sharp (if we can secure the trade) and Henry.

Would be good to see Sturt get some games. His career is on the line next season.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If Josh Corbett has a good year in 2023 like Broadie and Jordan Clark had in 2022, He will be a solid player.

My expectations won't be high on Corbett.

Still, I think he will be depth or a stop gap player for 2 or 3 years.

If he kicks 25-30 goals next season then that is good.

what if he only kicks 24..?!?! No good? :p

Sounds about right. Good to see Corbett and Banfield and Sturt compete for that 3rd tall spot on a forward flank.

Back in 2012-5, Pav was full forward at 192 cm, Chris Mayne stood at 187 cm and was CHF. You then had mids rotated on the forward flanks
Every point of difference has advantages and disadvantages including height. A mosquito fleet forward line has advantages over a traditional, bigger defence. Unless you bomb on their heads that is.

Every point of difference has advantages and disadvantages including height. A mosquito fleet forward line has advantages over a traditional, bigger defence. Unless you bomb on their heads that is.
Random to say this. I just think of most of freos wins in 2022. For some strange reason we were trailing at half time. Then lead at 3 quarter time then either won easily or at worst held on to win by just over 1-2 goals

Random to say this. I just think of most of freos wins in 2022. For some strange reason we were trailing at half time. Then lead at 3 quarter time then either won easily or at worst held on to win by just over 1-2 goals
Actually up until round 9 we hadn't trailed at half time in any of our games. We were 6-1 at that point. Second half of the season we rarely lead at half time.

Haselby has described Corbett well, and he's correct in saying that he plays the same style and role to Treacy, however the calls or suggestions that Treacy even needs a "rocket" are pathetic but that's modus operandi for the worst.

Competition for spots is very healthy though and the depth that it creates is vital for a strong list.

Last edited:
Haselby has described Corbett well, and he's correct in saying that he plays the same style and role to Treacy, however the calls or suggestions that Treacy even needs a "rocket" are pathetic but that's modus operandi for the worst.

Competition for spots is very healthy though and the depth that it creates is vital for a strong list.
I think having glandular fever after an ankle injury justifies a slow return. 🤷🏻‍♀️ Give the lad a chance.

Haven’t read the article but it seems like a shit thing to say

Treacy is a very hard worker from what I can tell , but perhaps was focusing energy in the wrong directions, hence a good coach required to turn his head .

Effort based I reckon he’s top 5 in our team , really hope it clicks for him this year , I like the way he plays.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back