Preview We Feel Like Chicken Tonight... Freo vs Eagles Derby 58

Remove this Banner Ad

Derby 58, crazy. Does not seem that long ago we were at Derby 42, top of the ladder, poised to finally square up the ledger, and go on to lose the next 11 Derbies.

We’re on a run of 5 now but until the last Derby they were always struggles. Are West Coast still crap? They’re better than late last year but so should we be. I think we should win comfortably but there’s always that nagging doubt.

Freo by 40.
Our avg winning margin in this current streak is 47

The amount of hurt we're going to inflict on this mob will be limited.

I don't think we're appreciating our two best lead back players are out.

Longmuir will want us to fight in a shoebox and turnaround Barrass and Mcgovern, we've done this well in the most recent derbies with Shultz, Freddie & Switta managing to get in behind them.

None of those blokes will be on the park this weekend - so suspect the crisp "over the top" scoring chains will be lessor than previously.

Sonny needs a vintage performance with contributions from Emmett - who's not AFL standard, and Sturt....

Freo by 6 goals.
Based on 7 games you’ve declared Emmett not AFL standard.🤦‍♂️

Feast upon them, Trace. You're half their age with insane levels of aggression and vitality. You are relevant. They're standing around, pining for the glory days of highpants hilarity. McShoving really just wants a fuycking doughnut. Mmmmm, Mary Street doughnuts.

Race between them at speeds they only use when dialing uber eats. Be the swift agent of mercy God intends you to be. Put them to the fuycking sword, Joshua. Finish them.
Going to use this to teach the kids non-rhyming poetry. Can't help but read this in my best Dylan Thomas voice. Great work sir.

Edit: minus the swear words of course.
On SM-G988U1 using BigFooty.com mobile app

It's great to have you back on board mate - I'm loving it
Happy Shake Hands GIF by The Story Catcher
You're too kind :tearsofjoy:

Gracias Crying GIF by Alguna pregunta més?

West Coast looking at playing 3 good games in a row and their crowd will be boisterous. Only way we can lose is if the players have a mental letdown thinking we got close to beating two good teams Carlton and Port (based on 2023, 2024 so far) and therefore WC should be pushovers, but I expect that the midfield leaders will instill the determination to not lose 3 games in a row and bring the same fight as in the past 2 weeks, as well as doing a few things better.

Our forward 50m seems a bit skewed with lefties - Sturt, Walters, Banfield, Amiss and maybe big Shaun when he's down there.

The only area of concern for me in kicking a winning score is the ground level ball inside our forward 50m. Think Jackson's pressure inside forward 50m compensates enough for not having the pace of Frederick or Switkowski - and Amiss and Treacy go at it at ground level too.

I think blue shark is saying that in the future the West Coast midfield of Hewitt, Ginbey and Reid will be bigger-bodied and potentially more so than ours. And so he wants Ras and Johnson to get size as well as fitness.

Makes sense.

But not now. Now, we have the wood on those clowns.

I hope Bubba Darcy smashes the s**t out of whichever sacrificial lamb the Weags offer up to him.
Yeah not Today, but you can also add Hall to that list.
Dont forget that campaigner Shuey is teaching this young group so id expect some grubbiy tactics too.
Yeo and Fyfe to go head to head.

For me...

It be a blow out and we are at risk of having a flat day if we haven't shaken the cobwebs from the 2 close losses - good maturity test

Bringing in 2 (AFL fit) underdone players (Darcy and Sturt) is a risk, offset by their 1 also (Sheed)

We are devoid of def forward pressure this week (Sturt isn't, no matter what you hope he's improved in) and we are relying on a 7 gamer (Emmett) and an old timer in Walters

If we don't have sound tactics on our half back, they'll start a lot of attacks from there and that'll bring the crowd into the game

Raz and Omera could be these options, so it'll be interesting to see who is the sub that ideally we make for Darcy in the 3rd.

I'm picking us by a messy 32.

I dont think this game will be as easy as many think, still would be shocking for our season if we lose, should win by 2-3.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We really should belt them, however I’m not sure how well we transform from 3 weeks of full ground shutdown arm wrestling to blow them out of the water. Think it go down to the 4th quarter and win by 30 odd.
positional shifts might help. If Jackson is more forward than before when Darcy is rucking, as long as we're winning decent clearance or stoppages he might make the point of difference in the forward line...he was close to winning the Glendinning medal last time (and that was playing ruck as Sean was out last year's 100 point thumping), just pipped by Schultz

For me...

It be a blow out and we are at risk of having a flat day if we haven't shaken the cobwebs from the 2 close losses - good maturity test

Bringing in 2 (AFL fit) underdone players (Darcy and Sturt) is a risk, offset by their 1 also (Sheed)

We are devoid of def forward pressure this week (Sturt isn't, no matter what you hope he's improved in
) and we are relying on a 7 gamer (Emmett) and an old timer in Walters

If we don't have sound tactics on our half back, they'll start a lot of attacks from there and that'll bring the crowd into the game

Raz and Omera could be these options, so it'll be interesting to see who is the sub that ideally we make for Darcy in the 3rd.

I'm picking us by a messy 32.
He played 14 games last year and is back after one WAFL game because Longmuir evidently believes it's not an issue.

Been a while since I’ve been to an away Derby…

The last one I went to we had about 48 on the board before they kicked a goal.
I was sitting in a bay high up in the stands at Subiaco Oval.

I was literally the only one in Purple within a bay or two. The process of optimism to trepidation to outright agression from the fans toward their own players was something to behold.

I was just giving it the the golf clap until about half time when they accepted they were screwed.

I’m going again this Saturday.

Can’t wait…let’s hope we kick seven layers of poop out of them again.
Hi Lach!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back