Welcome Welcome Josh Draper!! - 2022 Cat B Rookie List

Remove this Banner Ad

A very promising start from him. Even with Chapman back he should have an extended run. I think the fortnight at home will help him from a rest point of view. He has been great cover and we can afford to not rush him if he needs rest through the year. A great place to be. Looks like he could be a ten year player!

A very promising start from him. Even with Chapman back he should have an extended run. I think the fortnight at home will help him from a rest point of view. He has been great cover and we can afford to not rush him if he needs rest through the year. A great place to be. Looks like he could be a ten year player!

Chapman will replace Hughes before Draper

I'd rest him tbh. A big few weeks physically and emotionally

Won't be a slight on him, just need to look after the kids

Give big red a few weeks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Does Draper have another position?

It may be better to keep him developing in defence, but his skill set looks transferable.
I reckon he'll be able to play any of the defensive roles eventually, at least AP, Cox, Ryan, Chapman/Hughes etc. Not strong enough for AP's yet but eventually.

I think he's the natural successor to Ryan long term.

Does Draper have another position?

It may be better to keep him developing in defence, but his skill set looks transferable.

Apparently a forward as a junior? Would be interested in any reports of the type of forward he was from anyone that saw that.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I reckon he'll be able to play any of the defensive roles eventually, at least AP, Cox, Ryan, Chapman/Hughes etc. Not strong enough for AP's yet but eventually.

I think he's the natural successor to Ryan long term.
As they'd say in basketball there's a lot of 'switchability' in our back 6. Most guys back there can play on different body types and Drapes might be the most versatile one yet. Our backline is beastly.

Apparently a forward as a junior? Would be interested in any reports of the type of forward he was from anyone that saw that.

That’s what I’m hoping. Train him up back for a bit then swing him forward when the options are there and see what he can do. I recon we need a swingman in the team that is creative.

He was a tall half forward and ruck at junior level, whilst I would have said "key position", he mainly used his athleticism rather than brute strength. Good mark of the ball and good user, his main issue as a forward was not getting enough of the ball. I think him playing in defence helps bring him to the ball.

I think he would look great but he doesn't have the endurance for it at AFL level.

Ive been quite bullish on Drapes for two years but now I know he is going to be a star. Two more years he will be one of our most important defenders and most versatile swingman. I see him floating forward and kicking two in the 2026 GF.

Continues to impress with his maturity and general solidity. Not looking out of place in one of the best defences in the league. Is the rising star nomination process just for players that produce video highlights?
Defenders feature but usually once the star mids have all had nominations or they all have bad games. Hopefully the selectors realize his days are numbered once Cox is fit and make sure they squeeze him in beforehand. He has earnt it.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back