Game Day Round 8 vs. Carlton, MCG, 7:40pm Fri 03/05

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
They should be winning games like that against the eagles at home. I'd be shocked if its not a comfortable win
Lots of things should happen. Doesn't mean it does.

I think we were all shocked the Eagles beat Dockers last week. But they did.

And yeah, yeah, I know, Harley's not playing. But he's inspired these Eagles.

I wasn't around for the horror of the 60s, 70s and 80s Domus, but my Dad has told me all the stories.

I got a little taste of Carlton's trademark arrogance growing up in the 90s, and again last year when they beat us and carried on like they had won the bloody flag.

The thought of playing them in a grand final makes me feel sick!
It was truly nauseating and heart shattering. I shed a few tears I can tell you. I've never gotten over 1970. McKenna and Tuddy, the Richardson brothers, Thommo, Pricey and Greening deserved a flag or two as did Bobby Rose. Footy is so cruel.

Yes but it’s very doable and if not done maybe we aren’t a top four side. Freo in Perth the toughest in that run.

Obviously belting Carlton will help so let’s start there 😂

Most of our travel will be behind us as well

Also, current form is just perception. We haven’t lost a game since round 3 !

Round 2!

I have a great feeling about Friday night.
Strong performances in the VFL from Fin and Sullivan give us a midfield ally for Titch.
Jaicos , JDG and Crisp have massive upside.
HH gives us pace and energy in F50 and on the wing.
Clamp down in the clearances - hold the ball up in stoppages, Cox/Cameron to hold up in the ruck and give our slightly slower mids time to contest the ball and stop any high kinetic bursts from their mids.
Naicos, JFN and IQ to rebound from HB and our fast transition to cut them apart in our F50.

Only youngbloods with no idea of the shocking reality of losing 3 grand finals, (each of which we held substantial leads) to Carlton would wish for such a thing.

The counter to that is only the mentally weak wouldn’t want the thrill of taking on our biggest rival on the biggest stage.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

I wasn't around for the horror of the 60s, 70s and 80s Domus, but my Dad has told me all the stories.

I got a little taste of Carlton's trademark arrogance growing up in the 90s, and again last year when they beat us and carried on like they had won the bloody flag.

The thought of playing them in a grand final makes me feel sick!

I hate them with a passion but will be praying for a blues-pies GF in 2024 because ….

It will mean we have made the bloody GF!

Bring. It. On.

Or those that know the game would be rigged to an inch of its life so that Carlton win. No thanks.

Sent from my VOG-L09 using Tapatalk

You’re making this assessment off one sub par performance. IQ, is anything but slow. He’s a great user of the ball, and a great 1:1 player. He is our present and future
But not immune from being criticised.

The reality is we've got a fair sample size of the season now, and there are a number of boys who haven't played anywhere near their best. IQ is one, and he needs to lift starting this Friday night.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I’ve really noticed our skills have deteriorated significantly this year
JDG and other senior players are guilty
Handballs too long or too short
Fumbling the ball etc
Scrubber kicks
These all equal higher turnovers which stopped our momentum at times significantly

We're aren't executing fundamental skills, which can be fixed very quickly, so there's still hope we can reach the lofty heights that we set last year. It was almost laughable every time JDG got the pill on Thursday.

Fly bangs on about executing the fundamentals well so no doubt they'll get it right.

I'm not sure the pressure is even there at times. But we're playing as if it is.

It's mindset for mine. Last year it would be us coming out in the first 15 mins of games and putting the oppo to the sword. The game would be over at 1/4 time quite often. We'd then play tempo for the next 60 mins before clicking into gear late.

This season we just look that little bit off with our intensity, we've lost that real eye of the tiger. In turn making basic skill errors and not applying enough midfield pressure which is hanging our defenders out to dry.

Mark Bickley made a good point on SEN yesterday. It's hard as the reigning premier early in the season. But what you need to do is just enough to be in touching distance of top 4. Once our boys get that scent of finals back in the nostrils, they'll remember what it was like and hit the level required. Think Hawks of 14/15 and Tigers 19/20.

In a season like this, anything is possible. I mean Geelong look the benchmark right now and i'd back us more often that not to beat them.

That's kind of what we're saying. For those of us who did experience that era with Blues beating us in so many GF's.. some of us are still carrying the trauma.

And that's why we loathe Carlton so much.

What I'm curious about is, why do so many oppo supporters hate us? Particularly when we're the team they most likely have beaten in a GF, lol. I don't dislike the teams we've beaten in GF's anywhere near as much as those who have beaten us.

Powerhouse club. Eddie, Bucks etc.

Most of the hatred stems from before that..most don't even know what they hate Collingwood. It's inter generational.

I can fully understand not liking Eddie though.

Yeah me too. A lot of our supporters now also pot Ed. He did stay around too long when he should have Costanzaed it many years earlier and gone out on top.

But I for one will never forget that he led the club back from a pretty dark place when he first came in.

While I’d love this and all games against Carlton to be wiped from the footy fixture - I have to confront my fears. Face the club that has caused me the most grief in my life. Take a deep breath.

Fun fact: after seven games, we’ve only lost one more than the much vaunted Blues - despite our horror start to the year and highly questionable scheduling. The carry on over that team gives new meaning to the word ‘hype’.

I’ve read the posts on here about how to go about beating them, and have nothing to add to that excellent analysis. But I can say that they will be just as nervous about us as we are about them. The Cats game didn’t go according to plan, so the little seed of navy blue doubt is just starting to germinate.

We got a fright against Essendon, yet still managed not to lose the game. We’ll be nice and rested too.

Pies by 30 points.

Beat Brisbane and Richmond by under a goal.
Beat North.
Beat Freo narrowly with some assistance
Lost to average Crows in Melbourne
Beat GWS. Best win but still not convincing at Marvel.
Lost to Cats
Don’t think they are going much better than they were this time last year.
We are right in this game on form.

We really struggle when our key defenders are forced to play tight one-on-one roles and don’t get to zone-off, intercept and rebound.

Unfortunately that’s what’s going to happen against Carlton, with Moore, Frampton and Howe fully occupied by Curnow, McKay and DeKoning. All three of those Carlton talls are very mobile and capable of kicking 3-4 goals if given too much time and space. They showed against GWS just how quickly and devastatingly they can get off the chain. And Moore’s record on Curnow is not good.

So our boys will have to lock down on them, which will rob us of our usual drive out of defence.

Consequently, I expect the Blues to prevail by 4-5 goals.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back