Game Day Round 8 vs. Carlton, MCG, 7:40pm Fri 03/05

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
The way to beat the blues, fast ball movement.
They are beatable if you use the footy well and fast F50 entries, and take the chances like the cats did.
Must not let them smash us in the middle.
This will be the way, to a big Pies win!!
Agree - Geel exposed them continuously because Carlton couldn’t defend transition as Kingy kept pointing out.
Our speed will be an issue for them, and their defence is questionable.

Perspective needed in comparing our game this week with Carlton against Geelong.
We drew with Essendon, despite losing in the midfield quite radically. This meant that everywhere else on the ground, we must have been either as good or better than them.
After their whirlwind in the first 10 to 15 minutes of the game, we outscored them and in the final quarter had more chances than they did to win the game.
We achieved this despite our lack of competitive power in the midfield.
So why was our midfield so far down, compared with only a week before when we smashed PA through the middle?
It is no coincidence that we came off a bye that game, but only had a 5 day turnaround this time. Titch can't be our in and under crusader by himself on a 5 day turnaround.
This time we have 8 days, and Titch was subbed out at 3/4 time (rightfully) so he has more time to recuperate before confronting the Carlton midfield.
However, I believe that we need another inside mid to bolster him. I hope Sullivan plays well in the VFL, because it is time to give him the opportunity to act in concert with Titch.
The final issue is our slow starts. We have now done this twice in a row. We are the reigning Premiers, and sides are bringing their maximum ferocity against us in the first quarter. We have to do the same. We appear at the moment to be unleashing our maximum pressure gauge of 200+ later than the first quarter, and often it is in order to catch up on the scoreboard. We need to reverse this. We need to hit the ground roaring with pressure gauge bursting - even if only for the first 10 to 15 minutes, to break the psychology of busting our a**es to equalize the scoreboard.
I am thinking that our moves for next week need to be:
OUT: Steele
IN: Sullivan
SUB: Sullivan
HH plays in the 22.
OR:
OUT: Steele
IN: Sullivan
SUB: Pendles
HH and Sullivan in the 22.
Not sure which way.
Pendles plays - he always spends time on Cripps and negates him.

I’m not talking about next year but are we writing off players like Sidey and Pendles too early. Understandably too Sidey well down on his form end of last year.

However, other club stars like Tomahawk, Tex (even this year), Cripps (Baggers a few years back), Bont even had some small question marks, Fyfe definitely because of injury but he’s doing alright this year and tonight so far.

So, is it more about managing them ala Geelong and repositioning them for rest of the year or we writing them off on continued downward form?

I’m not talking about next year but are we writing off players like Sidey and Pendles too early. Understandably too Sidey well down on his form end of last year.

However, other club stars like Tomahawk, Tex (even this year), Cripps (Baggers a few years back), Bont even had some small question marks, Fyfe definitely because of injury but he’s doing alright this year and tonight so far.

So, is it more about managing them ala Geelong and repositioning them for rest of the year or we writing them off on continued downward form?
Some are writing them off too early.

Not we. 😉

I think it's foolish to write either one off. It's a long season

Agree - Geel have made it known that they will be resting their seniors regularly during the season - no reason we can’t do the same.

IN: Carmicheal Begg Harrison Ryan

OUT: WHE Cox Steele McRerry

Agree - Geel exposed them continuously because Carlton couldn’t defend transition as Kingy kept pointing out.
Our speed will be an issue for them, and their defence is questionable.
They will still have McGovern out, most likely. Agree that their defence is questionable... Geelong was able to cut through with a combination of talls and small forwards when they needed to. I think we will do well against their defence with our fast small forwards. Cox to spend time forward, to help get the ball to ground.
Cats went to sleep for a few minutes in the final quarter, allowing Acres to have his day of glory. As soon as they woke up, they transitioned the ball forward and scored almost automatically.
Fortunately, fast ball movement out of HB is one of our key attributes.
Naicos needs to play HB.
Sullivan into the midfield to help Titch out.

Essendon smashed us in clearances and we still drew with them. I think the 4 day turn around effected us more than we thought it would, we looked absolutely spent in the last quarter.

After a good 8 day break, we should be more refreshed. Need to keep Curnow and McKay honest, HH needs a full game, if we continue to give teams a head start, would be good to have a sub who can come on and have an immediate, re: Crisp in the Brisbane game.

Pies by 11. Cox kicks a goal after the siren after paid a mark that was touched, then given another free kick after Owies pushes him over then slots another goal.

Microwave sales skyrocket, Best & Less Blosers merch sales plummet.

They will still have McGovern out, most likely. Agree that their defence is questionable... Geelong was able to cut through with a combination of talls and small forwards when they needed to. I think we will do well against their defence with our fast small forwards. Cox to spend time forward, to help get the ball to ground.
Cats went to sleep for a few minutes in the final quarter, allowing Acres to have his day of glory. As soon as they woke up, they transitioned the ball forward and scored almost automatically.
Fortunately, fast ball movement out of HB is one of our key attributes.
Naicos needs to play HB.
Sullivan into the midfield to help Titch out.
Titch needs support but I’d be picking Macrae who at 188cm is a better option than the smaller Sullivan.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don't know why anyone would actually want a Pies Blues Grand Final.
Anyone who lived through the 1970-1981 period couldn't possibly want to go through that again.
If you thought losing to Brisbane, Geelong & West Coast was bad, multiply that by 100.
Only youngbloods with no idea of the shocking reality of losing 3 grand finals, (each of which we held substantial leads) to Carlton would wish for such a thing.

Carlton will be favourites, but that shouldn't deter us. We'll be up for the fight and what perfect way to demonstrate our 2024 credentials by beating an arch-rival and fellow contender.

It will be a contrast of game styles. Carlton's stoppage game against our turnover game. Essendon killed us in stoppages, which is where they generated a lot of their scores from, and that's also Carlton's big strength with the likes of Walsh and Cripps in the middle so that's something to be wary of.

The key to us winning is bringing our pressure and intensity. If our pressure rating is approximately 195 or higher, then we'll be in business. Carlton struggle against teams with fast transition. Their defence has been leaking like a sieve in the past weeks.

Today they conceded 118 points against Geelong, 98 points against GWS last week and 100 points the week before against Adelaide. Further to this, Geelong had 28 scores from 45 inside 50 entries today so it demonstrates Carlton's frailties in defence.

Looking forward to this. It's going to be a big one.

Moore tends to get Mckay? But either one would do. Can always mix it up.
Curnow too athletic for Billy. Our skipper has to do the job. I'm worried about matching up with Dekonning. Howe may go to Curnow and Moore to Dekonning. But Howe has been struggling so it's a big concern.

Carlton will be favourites, but that shouldn't deter us. We'll be up for the fight and what perfect way to demonstrate our 2024 credentials by beating an arch-rival and fellow contender.

It will be a contrast of game styles. Carlton's stoppage game against our turnover game. Essendon killed us in stoppages, which is where they generated a lot of their scores from, and that's also Carlton's big strength with the likes of Walsh and Cripps in the middle so that's something to be wary of.

The key to us winning is bringing our pressure and intensity. If our pressure rating is approximately 195 or higher, then we'll be in business. Carlton struggle against teams with fast transition. Their defence has been leaking like a sieve in the past weeks.

Today they conceded 118 points against Geelong, 98 points against GWS last week and 100 points the week before against Adelaide. Further to this, Geelong had 28 scores from 45 inside 50 entries today so it demonstrates Carlton's frailties in defence.

I just don't want to watch Walsh, Cerra(they say he'll be back) and Cripps charging out of the middle at every centre bounce without the slightest pressure or hindrance.

Only youngbloods with no idea of the shocking reality of losing 3 grand finals, (each of which we held substantial leads) to Carlton would wish for such a thing.
I wasn't around for the horror of the 60s, 70s and 80s Domus, but my Dad has told me all the stories.

I got a little taste of Carlton's trademark arrogance growing up in the 90s, and again last year when they beat us and carried on like they had won the bloody flag.

The thought of playing them in a grand final makes me feel sick!

1. Alternate Bruz and Pendles to mitigate the Crippa influence,
2. Trust Frampton on Curnow, Howie on Mckay. Moore to intercept.
3. Get the ball in Nick D's hands off HB and run the baggers ragged
4. Coxy up forward bringing the ball to ground for Bobby and Beau
5. We have the two days extra and they just had a hard slog.
I think we'll run all over them in the last

Agree, they are vulnerable in defence, and against fast ball movement.
Our 2023 Premiership was based on fast ball movement off HB.
If anyone can exploit Carlton's vulnerabilities, it is us.
Our vulnerability is the midfield, as the Essendon game showed.
We need an in and under midfield reinforcement to bolster Titch and smother the movement of the ball from clearances. Sullivan and Fin have the chance to win senior selection for next week's blockbuster. Hope they both take the opportunity in the VFL tomorrow.
8 days turnaround instead of 5 will be massive in terms of the recuperation of Titch and Pendles.
Think Steele has to be managed for a mid to come in.
And finally, pressure gauge needs to reach maximum level in the first 20 minutes. No 4 or 5 goal headstarts are permissible.
There is no reason to think we cannot win. On the contrary, I am feeling positive about our prospects. Pies by 17.

Agree, they are vulnerable in defence, and against fast ball movement.
Our 2023 Premiership was based on fast ball movement off HB.
If anyone can exploit Carlton's vulnerabilities, it is us.
Our vulnerability is the midfield, as the Essendon game showed.
We need an in and under midfield reinforcement to bolster Titch and smother the movement of the ball from clearances. Sullivan and Fin have the chance to win senior selection for next week's blockbuster. Hope they both take the opportunity in the VFL tomorrow.
8 days turnaround instead of 5 will be massive in terms of the recuperation of Titch and Pendles.
Think Steele has to be managed for a mid to come in.
And finally, pressure gauge needs to reach maximum level in the first 20 minutes. No 4 or 5 goal headstarts are permissible.
There is no reason to think we cannot win.
The game was today.

I didn't watch it, but looks like Macrae and Sullivan played well and well done for Ash finding some form.

Like already noted in the other games thread the game between Geelong and Carlton took on a look not to dissimilar to our own versus the Cats in recent years.

The Blues won the midfield battle, smashed them for inside 50's but didn't make enough of their chances in front of goal early.

Conversely Geelong were brilliantly efficient, well organised defensively and looked likely to score on the rebound whenever Carlton provided a turnover or they broke through the Carlton line of pressure.

Still just like us in the recent past if you were a Carlton supporter you'd be buoyed by many aspects of that performance and feel you have their measure if you can just clean up a few areas.

In reality Carlton have 13 players on their injury list currently and 5 or 6 would be best 23. Geelong only have 4 and only Stewart who is best 23.

Carlton have much more upside in terms of returning personnel than Geelong and if I'm honest us.

The game today looked like a match between two quality sides and the Blues showed more than enough to believe they'll cause us some major concerns.

We'll need our very best to win.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back