Game Day Round 8 vs. Carlton, MCG, 7:40pm Fri 03/05

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
You know who the Pies remind me of?

Richmond 2019.

Slow start, everyone wrote them off around midseason I remember them getting belted 3 times in a row they were maybe 7-7 or 7-6 and everyone said they were done, too old, too slow...

The Pies feel a lot like them. Top 4 might be a stretch but I'm sure if there's one team anyone who else don't want to play come finals that's us.

We'll be there

Cept the Tiges had a couple of handy forwards in Lynch and Reivoldt. Gets you outta lottsa tight matches when you have that bit of firepower up front.

This wil be very tough for us to win. The Blues are playing high energy never say die relentless pressure football. This may be too much for us to handle the way we are travelling currently. Yes, they lost today but were very impressive in defeat while our draw was not particularly inspiring.

I just can't see us getting close to Carlton and the cards all read as a big loss. Not much hope for us in this one.

Pies by 1 point in a win for the ages. :fire:

Perspective needed in comparing our game this week with Carlton against Geelong.
We drew with Essendon, despite losing in the midfield quite radically. This meant that everywhere else on the ground, we must have been either as good or better than them.
After their whirlwind in the first 10 to 15 minutes of the game, we outscored them and in the final quarter had more chances than they did to win the game.
We achieved this despite our lack of competitive power in the midfield.
So why was our midfield so far down, compared with only a week before when we smashed PA through the middle?
It is no coincidence that we came off a bye that game, but only had a 5 day turnaround this time. Titch can't be our in and under crusader by himself on a 5 day turnaround.
This time we have 8 days, and Titch was subbed out at 3/4 time (rightfully) so he has more time to recuperate before confronting the Carlton midfield.
However, I believe that we need another inside mid to bolster him. I hope Sullivan plays well in the VFL, because it is time to give him the opportunity to act in concert with Titch.
The final issue is our slow starts. We have now done this twice in a row. We are the reigning Premiers, and sides are bringing their maximum ferocity against us in the first quarter. We have to do the same. We appear at the moment to be unleashing our maximum pressure gauge of 200+ later than the first quarter, and often it is in order to catch up on the scoreboard. We need to reverse this. We need to hit the ground roaring with pressure gauge bursting - even if only for the first 10 to 15 minutes, to break the psychology of busting our a**es to equalize the scoreboard.
I am thinking that our moves for next week need to be:
OUT: Steele
IN: Sullivan
SUB: Sullivan
HH plays in the 22.
OR:
OUT: Steele
IN: Sullivan
SUB: Pendles
HH and Sullivan in the 22.
Not sure which way.

The way to beat the blues, fast ball movement.
They are beatable if you use the footy well and fast F50 entries, and take the chances like the cats did.
Must not let them smash us in the middle.
This will be the way, to a big Pies win!!
I agree. And we do have the capability of the fastest ball movement in the league off HB.

After watching the Carlton game we probably have to play a back half game the same way Geelong did to beat them.

If we flood it makes it difficult for them to score as their smalls are trash then we can run it quick down the field and score.

I fear if we try to go head to head with them in the mid we'll get smashed.

Watching the Cats Blues game today, I just kept thinking how good it would be to have a Jeremy Cameron in our team.

The way to beat the blues, fast ball movement.
They are beatable if you use the footy well and fast F50 entries, and take the chances like the cats did.
Must not let them smash us in the middle.
This will be the way, to a big Pies win!!
Here’s the game plan: Tap it to Nick, let him keep getting onto the torps deep inside 50.
I hope he’s been practicing them at training!

Oh Great Spirit please protect me from your followers: Edit….Carlton followers.

After watching the Carlton game we probably have to play a back half game the same way Geelong did to beat them.

If we flood it makes it difficult for them to score as their smalls are trash then we can run it quick down the field and score.

I fear if we try to go head to head with them in the mid we'll get smashed.
I agree that is the basic plan. But still can't allow them to dominate clearances without opposition. I don't want to see Cripps bursting out of the middle multiple times like we saw Stringer.
We need a reinforcement to assist Titch in the midfield to keep the ball in at clearances, and we need Cox and Cameron to impact the ruck contest much more to our advantage than they did against Essendon.

I agree that is the basic plan. But still can't allow them to dominate clearances without opposition. I don't want to see Cripps bursting out of the middle multiple times like we saw Stringer.
We need a reinforcement to assist Titch in the midfield to keep the ball in at clearances, and we need Cox and Cameron to impact the ruck contest much more to our advantage than they did against Essendon.
100% been saying this all year. We need an extra mid in the team. Last year we played with Adams as the extra who went forward. This year our mids look gassed without the extra rotation helping.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sweet baby Jesus will ensure we are blessed to defeat the dark empire known as the scum. Satan will also unleash his evil majesty to assist us in our quest. That’s the Catholics covered. Anyone else feel like evoking a deity?
Nah, I'm an atheist.
Maybe Darth Vader will lend us his force to smash the scum.

He was a mad Collingwood supporter as a young buck as well.
If he wasnt from the country and would have liked to come to the city, reckon he would be ours, but he wanted to be closer to his family in the country and Geelong suited him.
Shame.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back