Game Day Round 8 vs. Carlton, MCG, 7:40pm Fri 03/05

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
With Geelong playing Melbourne next week also IF we win its a big step towards fighting back to a top 4 position

Yep. Top Teams will play each other most weeks so every time we win we will advance on those teams that don’t.

We get our chance to close the gap over the next five weeks. Beating Carlton will be a great start but even if we don’t, there’s eagles crows dockers and dogs to follow. If we win all of them we will be well entrenched in the eight. Add a Carlton win and we might be top four already going into the Melbourne game.

Yep. Top Teams will play each other most weeks so every time we win we will advance on those teams that don’t.

We get our chance to close the gap over the next five weeks. Beating Carlton will be a great start but even if we don’t, there’s eagles crows dockers and dogs to follow. If we win all of them we will be well entrenched in the eight. Add a Carlton win and we might be top four already going into the Melbourne game.
To win all with current form is a big ask..

4 wins would be a good effort

Even comp

To win all with current form is a big ask..

4 wins would be a good effort

Even comp
Yes but it’s very doable and if not done maybe we aren’t a top four side. Freo in Perth the toughest in that run.

Obviously belting Carlton will help so let’s start there 😂

Most of our travel will be behind us as well

Also, current form is just perception. We haven’t lost a game since round 3 !

mmmmm, not so simple for me. From a blues supporter perspective:
1) to have some hope (top 8) - and have it quashed by never making it;or
2) to have no hope.

What would be more painful for a blues supporter? - I lean to number 2 (generational pain of hopelessness)

I love the generational trauma option. And hopefully it would extend through families, so everyone, young and old, suffers.

Dreamy thought.😊

Watched a few Scum games this year.
Seems the second tier players have stepped up to me.

Our defence will need to play out of their skins here and doesn't give up early lead and junk time goals.

A fair umpiring effort would go a long way too, can't believe some of the frees Curnow gets which are not afforded to other forwards in the league.

I reckon we may break even in the midfield and even edge them if we turn up in the forward line.

Either way looking forward to it and hope the 2nds go well.

Keen to see if Harry has got it and any chance to play seniors this year.

from my Delorean

All good - we’ll win with LAST weeks form.

Yep.

All we needed from last week was one of these things to happen

Mihocek scores at least one point from his two set shots in the last quarter.
McCreery doesn’t fumble the pickup and scores an easy goal
Elliot doesn’t drop a relatively easy chest mark and scores at least a point.
Frampton kicks an easy goal after a 100 metre penalty
Draper gets penalised in the first quarter for an unrealistic marking attempt with two hands on his opponents shoulders in a pack situation and the joe the goose goal out the back disallowed
Although I can’t off the top of my head recall any specific Jordy handball skill errors that directly cost a goal, there was probably one or two. Tidy that up and goals saved.

We really had it all over Essendon except the bad start which has happened two weeks running and needs to be remedied. Carlton won’t be easy but we have the formline building.

Yep.

Draper gets penalised in the first quarter for an unrealistic marking attempt with two hands on his opponents shoulders in a pack situation and the joe the goose goal out the back disallowed
Although I can’t off the top of my head recall any specific Jordy handball skill errors that directly cost a goal, there was probably one or two. Tidy that up and goals saved.

We really had it all over Essendon except the bad start which has happened two weeks running and needs to be remedied. Carlton won’t be easy but we have the formline building.
I’m 63 and lived through the scum debacle. Whilst it would be hard on the nerves, would like a GF win against them like last years GF win, including something controversial. Then for them to pitch into mediocrity, again. Their supporters being delusional would invest a lot of energy into the reason why they should have beaten us, which would make it all the more sweeter

Think people are overreacting a bit about the Essendon game. They match up well against us and yet we nearly beat them on a 5 day break.

Carlton also trouble us. Even the games we've beaten them in recently have been mostly close.

Last year we nearly lost to the Saints. We lost to the Hawks. We nearly lost Anzac day last year. It's not all doom and gloom (yet!)

That said hopefully Geelong and Carlton absolutely belt each other all afternoon.

I’m 63 and lived through the scum debacle. Whilst it would be hard on the nerves, would like a GF win against them like last years GF win, including something controversial. Then for them to pitch into mediocrity, again. Their supporters being delusional would invest a lot of energy into the reason why they should have beaten us, which would make it all the more sweeter
Did you reply to the wrong post because I was not talking about playing Carlton in a gf

Personally I never want to see them make a GF again in my lifetime

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Think people are overreacting a bit about the Essendon game. They match up well against us and yet we nearly beat them on a 5 day break.

Carlton also trouble us. Even the games we've beaten them in recently have been mostly close.

Last year we nearly lost to the Saints. We lost to the Hawks. We nearly lost Anzac day last year. It's not all doom and gloom (yet!)

That said hopefully Geelong and Carlton absolutely belt each other all afternoon.
I don’t think Eagles at Marvel will be an easy win either

Yep.

you missed Mihocek misses two easy set shots in first half ..

Last edited:
you missed Mihocek misses two esay set shots in first half ..

I wonder if Mihocek is carrying an injury?

Some of his misses were very out of character. Of course he does miss occasionally, but not by as much as he did on ANZAC day. That was a Travis Cloke style performance.

Some of his misses were very out of character. Of course he does miss occasionally, but not by as much as he did on ANZAC day. That was a Travis Cloke style performance.
Not sure what sort of injury would explain those two misses. I think they were just two very bad shots, maybe fatigue + pressure played a part.

Lol he kicked three goals and was one of our best players. He’s not to blame for us not winning. That was a team effort and a bunch of isolated incidents just added up. We just needed one of them to have a different outcome and we win.

Lol he kicked three goals and was one of our best players. He’s not to blame for us not winning. That was a team effort and a bunch of isolated incidents just added up. We just needed one of them to have a different outcome and we win.

Agree 100%! He had a cracking game and was one of the reasons we were in it. He certainly wasn’t the reason we didn’t win.

But my point still stands.

Watched a few Scum games this year.
Seems the second tier players have stepped up to me.

Our defence will need to play out of their skins here and doesn't give up early lead and junk time goals.

A fair umpiring effort would go a long way too, can't believe some of the frees Curnow gets which are not afforded to other forwards in the league.

I reckon we may break even in the midfield and even edge them if we turn up in the forward line.

Either way looking forward to it and hope the 2nds go well.

Keen to see if Harry has got it and any chance to play seniors this year.

from my Delorean
Agree their Second tier players have done well.
Surprising many of my Carton mates.
It’s amazing how doubts fade when kids get a sustained run to prove themselves.

Agree their Second tier players have done well.
Surprising many of my Carton mates.
It’s amazing how doubts fade when kids get a sustained run to prove themselves.
Or their second tier players and kids are better than those at other clubs.

I’m not convinced about some of our second tier players. Hope I’m wrong.

Yep.

JDG’s running shot at goal 35metres out straight in front seems to be overlooked. However I’m sure Bomber fans are singling out similar incidents.
Maybe the footy gods decided neither of us deserved to win😜.

Or their second tier players and kids are better than those at other clubs.

I’m not convinced about some of our second tier players. Hope I’m wrong.

Or their second tier players just got more opportunities because their club had more injuries.

The VFL season is only three games old and barely two in a row, and additionally disrupted with second tier players either injured or omitted due to short breaks. Pretty hard to gauge where our list is at this early on. Looked ok until last week when very short staffed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back