Game Day Round 8 vs. Carlton, MCG, 7:40pm Fri 03/05

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Their presence in the finals, all the way to prelims, really put a huge damper on the finals series for me last year.

They’ve been dormant for 20 years or so and I’d forgotten just how much I truly hate them!

Now you have mugs like Curnow who is untouchable like Craig Bradley in their previous heyday
Agree. The media coverage about them during the finals was nauseating.

Fascinating selection dilemma this week. Stick with those that have gotten the job done or start to refresh the side.

Against Carlton, I dont see a lot of changes. Sure we have plenty of passengers yesterday (Sidebottom, Crisp, Howe, WHE et al)

Unless there is an outstanding performance in the VFL there will be no change to the 23.

I would bring HH for a full game, and have WHE as the sub.

People seem to be forgetting WHE has played the last 2 weeks as our 2nd KPF. Which of our small forwards are stepping into those shoes?

.... most likely outcome of this for me, is that id need intensive medical care
If they had beaten Brisbane in the prelim I was seriously considering not going to the grand final. The agony of 70, 79 and 81 has scarred me and the pain is still there now. Enduring another loss to that mob and hearing that song would possibly send me to intensive care.

If they had beaten Brisbane in the prelim I was seriously considering not going to the grand final. The agony of 70, 79 and 81 has scarred me and the pain is still there now. Enduring another loss to that mob and hearing that song would possibly send me to intensive care.
Yep. Only people that experienced that era can fully understand why a Pies/Blues GF would be a nightmare. The build up would be horrendous. I get PTSD just thinking about it.

I never even enjoy the build up to the h&a matches.

Yep. Only people that experienced that era can fully understand why a Pies/Blues GF would be a nightmare. The build up would be horrendous. I get PTSD just thinking about it.

I never even enjoy the build up to the h&a matches.
I can never understand supporters who don't want the full on tension. That's the fun of it. But each to their own.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Each to their own.

It's not tension for me though.

Some others on here get where I'm coming from.
Sounds like you are more afraid of the pain of loss than the thrill of victory. That's ok. Many of the world's greatest sportsmen/women were motivated by fear of loss. Can't have been a fun way to go through a career though.

Sidebottom out and WHE moved to the wing.

Harrison played as a HFF

Unfortunately we will be smashed in the centre and Moore will get flogged by Curnow.

Could be a bloodbath.
Apart from GWS Carl have played Rich, NM, ADEL FREO and BNE - combined wins of just 7 matches.
GWS were missing Taylor - a huge loss in the context of Curnow and McKays dominance.
So I’m not sure I hold the same fears about them as you.

That's why I love taking them on!
It is a thing of beauty when the pies have a win over the blues, these moments are celebrated and worshipped - pre-build up only makes that feeling enhanced.

A loss of a H/A game or a final of any type to them, results in depressive tendencies that can only be rectified by a subsequent win - and a subsequent gf win may take decades . The risk/reward equation with the blues is one i like to avoid

Harrison should get a full game imo

And wouldn’t be against one of Markov, Macrae or Sullivan getting a go at the expense at one of the running veterans like Crisp, Sidebottomor WHE

Mitchell probably too important to drop given our struggles with clearances already

Likewise no replacement for Cox… if he has a couple of quiet games

Pendles not quite the player he was but still contributes enough for mine

I’ve been saying it for several weeks that we are carrying too many 200 game plus players… especially in those tightly scheduled games with short breaks

But I’m convinced the coaching group will see this group through… ride it out… even if it means missing finals or losing in the first week of it
Crisp is a big body and needed for Cripps so he won’t be dropped.

Sounds like you are more afraid of the pain of loss than the thrill of victory. That's ok. Many of the world's greatest sportsmen/women were motivated by fear of loss. Can't have been a fun way to go through a career though.
That's exactly what I'm afraid of. That's why those of us are bringing up a particular era.

If I knew we were going to beat them before the match, I'd love every second of it.

Not sure why you brought women into the discussion. Weird.

That's exactly what I'm afraid of. That's why those of us are bringing up a particular era.

If I knew we were going to beat them before the match, I'd love every second of it.

Not sure why you brought women into the discussion. Weird.
Should I have said sportspeople? What's just as weird is that you seem to think others weren't around in that particular era?

Should I have said sportspeople? What's just as weird is that you seem to think others weren't around in that particular era?
Yeah, probably.

I didn't say others weren't around in that era.

Maybe reply to the others who also share the same opinion as I do on playing Carlton.

The game is such a long one I am not feeling optimistic about our capacity to keep the Carlton forwards quiet for four quarters. Our mids have been getting smashed at centre clearances for most of the season so unless we address this pronto Mckay and Curnow will have endless supply and our defense will be under siege.
We are ranked 4th and Carl 1st for Centre Clearance and 16th and 17th for stoppage clearances.
I’d say it’s a fairly even match up.

I get the feeling we’ll go full throttle this match. Bruising encounter. Baggers have a few big outs even before this game starts. But no taking their outs lightly.

The following week now looms as a danger game vs Eagles at Marvel. They’re showing a bit more fight and we don’t play Marvel too well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back