Game Day Round 8 vs. Carlton, MCG, 7:40pm Fri 03/05

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Beat Brisbane and Richmond by under a goal.
Beat North.
Beat Freo narrowly with some assistance
Lost to average Crows in Melbourne
Beat GWS. Best win but still not convincing at Marvel.
Lost to Cats
Don’t think they are going much better than they were this time last year.
We are right in this game on form.
When you put it like that, it's not really convincing.

They do 'look' better during games than what that suggests though.

I only listened to their second half against Giants on the radio & unless Giants were just really poor, the Blues seemed to be in total control & their pressure rating was through the roof.

Regardless, it doesn't really matter how they're playing, they always bring it against us. We better bring our A game & be willing to break records with our pressure & tackling. Accuracy in front of goal would also be helpful.

Clearance and containing their forwards will be our challenge.

Last time we played them, Curnow kicked 6
We had mcstay
We had Murphy and Markov
Frampton didn't play

We won the hitouts
Lost the clearances
Big Bill on Curnow then. That settles that.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeah.. their midfield worries me for sure. Have to at least even out the contest in the middle.
Cats seemed to curtail their influence in the last qtr. Interestingly they seemed to look better when Danger got injured. Walsh was making it look so easy up until that point.

It’s not Clearance numbers that’s the difference (never is).

It’s the walk out the front damaging clearances that make the Blues far better than us in this space.

I’ll happily lose Clearances if they are scrubs from the contest or out to the wings from CB.

Dons walked out the front time and time again. Especially in the first 15 mins and the last qtr.

I’d like to see us only ever play Nick or
Jordy in the CB. Never both. They are both one and done due to being on the move.
if it doesn’t go their way, we’re absolutely toast.

Happy for another defensive player to go in there. Whether that’s Sullivan/Macrae coming in or we role Beau in there more.

Shoota is the perfect one for this…:but given he is new with no training in this space, too hard for him to impact.

Just need to help our D by not letting them get clean CB clearances. Once’s we can role up HF/HB….that proposition is easier to handle.

I think he played on Curnow as a Crow and things didn't go well. I'd rather Billy play on McKay.
I was kind of being facetious. Jen's post outlined Curnow's goal tally the last time we met, and the only player on her list who didn't play that day was Big Bill.

We all know Charlie will likely have a big day regardless of who is playing on him. The umps usually ensure that happens anyway.

Last edited:
Curnow isn’t your conventional tall, like Cameron they aren’t “big gorillas” but they play tall through aerial game or in curnows case go go gadget arms. Frampton ain’t the right match up. He needs to go to McKay IMO

Geelong cut off a lot of Charlies leads as well. Their back six was very BIG compared to ours, they have the advantage of Blicavs coming back from a wing though. Maybe this is the game for Dean to come in and assist Frampton with the big two thus allowing Darce and Howe to intercept. ?

Like a previous poster I too believe that we need to target Acres. Daicos isn't big enough to hold him on a wing....maybe Crisp or even dare I say it Maynard?

Clearance and containing their forwards will be our challenge.

Last time we played them, Curnow kicked 6 with 5 from free kicks
We had mcstay
We had Murphy and Markov
Frampton didn't play

We won the hitouts
Lost the clearances
Fixed.

Problem is Cark-Ton always lift against us. Curnow gets his usual 3-4 goals from free kicks against Moore and I don't think our midfield is up to matching theirs this year. From what I have seen so far this season.
Interesting match up. They've got us covered in the midfield and air, but we're a lot stronger on the flanks. Need to make it manic with the ball zipping around with heaps of pressure and we can get them.

Curnow isn’t your conventional tall, like Cameron they aren’t “big gorillas” but they play tall through aerial game or in curnows case go go gadget arms. Frampton ain’t the right match up. He needs to go to McKay IMO
I imagine Murphy would have been Curnow's opponent if he was still playing, though Curnow did kick six against us when we played Carlton last year, so whoever was on him then lowered his colours.

Moore was bog on Curnow in the first match up last year. Back him in. Plus no choice, Billy and Jezza are too slow.
it comes down to how the mids are going, they were bombing in hope that game, easy pickings for Moore with sidey laughing on the bench. Curnow isn’t superman, make sure their entries are dirty and we’ll be fine

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back