Game Day Round 8 vs. Carlton, MCG, 7:40pm Fri 03/05

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Watching the Cats Blues game today, I just kept thinking how good it would be to have a Jeremy Cameron in our team.
Be 18 other clubs thinking the same thing. (including Tassie)

from my Delorean

it comes down to how the mids are going, they were bombing in hope that game, easy pickings for Moore with sidey laughing on the bench. Curnow isn’t superman, make sure their entries are dirty and we’ll be fine
I'm not that worried about the Blues or Dees - play well and I think we'll win. It's Sydney, GWS and Geelong who have the players to slingshot through and exploit the way we defend that worry me.

I'm not that worried about the Blues or Dees - play well and I think we'll win. It's Sydney, GWS and Geelong who have the players to slingshot through and exploit the way we defend that worry me.
I’m not confident about this week mainly because our mids have been hot and cold and I’m not sure which version will turn up. But if we can get some consistency, I wouldn’t be worried about playing them later in the season.

They will still have McGovern out, most likely. Agree that their defence is questionable... Geelong was able to cut through with a combination of talls and small forwards when they needed to. I think we will do well against their defence with our fast small forwards. Cox to spend time forward, to help get the ball to ground.
Cats went to sleep for a few minutes in the final quarter, allowing Acres to have his day of glory. As soon as they woke up, they transitioned the ball forward and scored almost automatically.
Fortunately, fast ball movement out of HB is one of our key attributes.
Naicos needs to play HB.
Sullivan into the midfield to help Titch out.
Last week the dude from champion data was talking about how our half back rebound is not there this year after it was so important for us last year. We are ranked third last in scores from defensive rebounds.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I was kind of being facetious. Jen's post outlined Curnow's goal tally the last time we met, and the only player on her list who didn't play that day was Big Bill.

We all know Charlie will likely have a big day regardless of who is playing on him. The umps usually ensure that happens anyway.
Billy to McKay
Howe to deKoning
Moore to Curnow with explicit instruction to jump at the ball and try ignore the man ..don’t engage or put hands on him. Moore has the height & reach advantage on him and go with him athletically. It’s only when he focuses on the man /body that free-kick city enters centre stage.

the same snicko technology that is attached to the goal posts is also attached to curnows arms. The slightest spike on “snicko” and it’s a free. Have to take care
How long is it before opportunistic players figure they can snicko the goal posts themselves and make some noise so it appears to touch even when it doesn't?

Or is this just not possible.

Playing GWS without Taylor who’s just been dominating was huge for them. That game even at marvel would be completely different if he played. They are far from world beaters and that Freo game, was literally handed to them by umpires.

Given the injury list at Carlton just winning games against GWS and Fremantle, whilst remaining highly competitive against the likes of Geelong, is an achievement in itself and improvement on years past.

I see some are suggesting that if we can't defeat Carlton next week they're confident we'll get them later in the year.

Based on what exactly?

Personnel wise next week looks to be our best shot and with the retirement of Murphy McStay is the only player legitimately missing from our best 23 currently. Carlton could claim 4 to 6 players and I'm not including those gone for the year in Silvagni and Docherty.

Right now any improvement from us across the season looks largely limited to the 21 remaining from our Premiership side, Schultz, McStay if his recovery stays on track and the hope a few as yet unproven at the level players can step up and make the grade.

At our best we can beat Carlton next week but I'm not convinced we'll get a better opportunity in 24 if we don't.

If we are the version of Collingwood from the last 3 quarters against Port, we can win.
Move the ball quickly and catch out their backline.
Pressure, perceived or real, has been affecting our confidence and disposal, none more so than Jordy.
He seems to be dumping the ball without thought and rushing his disposal, although closer attention from opposition players is a factor too.
Time to string together 4 good quarters.
Go Pies!!

Agree, after yesterday's game I'd be pretty nervous facing Geelong as they share it so well if you're not on defensively, they will slice through you.
Carlton have got big tall match winners which we don't, so pressure will need to ensure they aren't getting great service.

I think it would be worth trying Shoota as a defensive mid behind the ball at centre bounces to stop opposition mids breaking forward the way Essendon did on Anzac Day.
It would get him into the game more.
He could swap forward with Jordy at times - we know Jordy can play forward.

Agree, after yesterday's game I'd be pretty nervous facing Geelong as they share it so well if you're not on defensively, they will slice through you.
Carlton have got big tall match winners which we don't, so pressure will need to ensure they aren't getting great service.
It's a bit like us under Bucks. We needed to control most of the game to win. I just think the Blues and Dees are the same. The slingshot teams with pace or class on the outside can be beaten in several aspects but still get a win.

Curnow does make them a bit more scary, but he does still need good entries.

How is everyone feeling at the end of the weekend?

The draw was probably worse than a loss, to be honest. Reminds me of the immediate aftermath, and shock of the 2010 GF. We still had another chance and in hindsight, the result went our way, but I think when we are reigning premiers and being pumped up in the shadow of a GF win, we expect results to go our way.

The Handbags gave the Blues a bit of a culture shock. I wonder if that can fester into Friday night. I am one of the young brigade, so I don't recall the doom and gloom of the 70s-late 90s, and Carlton's back room antics. I cannot STAND losing to the Blues.

Thoughts?

It's my birthday Monday week, too. I remember the Centenary match on my birthday in 2001. Hope we knock them off, like that day too. Great memory!

1714296731641.png

The draw was probably worse than a loss, to be honest. Reminds me of the immediate aftermath, and shock of the 2010 GF. We still had another chance and in hindsight, the result went our way, but I think when we are reigning premiers and being pumped up in the shadow of a GF win, we expect results to go our way.

The Handbags gave the Blues a bit of a culture shock. I wonder if that can fester into Friday night. I am one of the young brigade, so I don't recall the doom and gloom of the 70s-late 90s, and Carlton's back room antics. I cannot STAND losing to the Blues.

Thoughts?

It's my birthday Monday week, too. I remember the Centenary match on my birthday in 2001. Hope we knock them off, like that day too. Great memory!

View attachment 1973825
A draw is definitely not worse than a loss.

A draw is definitely not worse than a loss.
We did get two points, tis true. But left me with a gut wrenching feeling over the weekend. Just a visceral reaction, nothing more.

Reminded me of a couple of games in 2010, that were very unsavoury to my acquired palate.

Sorry to upset, EM. Carry on :thumbsu:

Thoughts?

View attachment 1973825
Happy birthday 🎂

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back