Autopsy Round 5, 2024: GWS v St.Kilda

Remove this Banner Ad

I love how all these missed goals or points cost us the game.
It is not linear, a goal.instead of a point goes back to the middle, so the whole game is changed.
It is just as likely a goal instead of a point could have resulted in a 6 goal loss once the rest of the game plays out.

Unless it is the last kick of the game for goal, nothing cost us the game.

On SM-S908E using BigFooty.com mobile app

It is not linear, a goal.instead of a point goes back to the middle, so the whole game is changed.
It is just as likely a goal instead of a point could have resulted in a 6 goal loss once the rest of the game plays out.

What cost us was some bad skill errors in key parts of the ground, plus some bad tackling and getting sucked into the ball carrier.

But we also got back into the game via our attack and pretty good endurance.

Wilsons goal being the highlight for me, that kid put the work in hard and got a joe the goose by sheer effort. We got ourselves a damn good player here.

I was on the far side of the ground watching rehab and stayed there for match sim. The contact with Howard had zero to do with his knee yesterday, Howard was more inconvenienced, was a bump that both ran off within a minute.

Earlier you said 30 seconds, now a minute, by the end of next week it'll be a good half an hour disruption to training whilst they both had to be airlifted to the Alfred.

The incident was in the middle of the 50, so it wouldn't matter what side you were on.

Having said that, I'm just messing with you mate - hopefully you are 100% correct and there is zero correlation between this training incident and the injury he copped 2 days later after he flew to Canberra.

Fair comment but all emblematic of the numerous basic skill errors that ended up costing us big time.

Mitch unfortunately has the yips in front of goal and has had for some weeks. Hopefully he is working with David Wheadon (who seems to have disappeared from view?) and the Sports Psych. Last time I went to training he was doing extra practice but of course difficult to replicate match day pressure.

We need to keep going to the Draft up until Tassie come in and take all the good picks from everyone. Forget about FA's and no more trading multiple picks for a 25 year old. Keep drafting the best youngsters and keep adding them to core. As far as I'm concerned the core is any (good) player under the age of 24. Then when Tassie come in try and snag some FA's.

I doubt Steele and anyone his age or older play in a premiership for us. I hope I'm wrong.

Priority number 1 for us should be the Draft...!!!

What really hurt us is when we hit the post (I don't remember who it was), and then GWS went straight down the other end and kicked a goal.

Pou kicking into the man on the mark, not even a point, really cost us as it went down to Hogan for a goal. Hill was great as was Marshall & Steele. Need to take our chances in front of goal. Get Collard in, (drop Butler) at least Collard is a good shot at goal.
Wouldn't blame Pou as both Caminiti and Owens had simple shots and took weird shot selection. one was a behind and the other was a OOBs.

The other thing I have been saying since Lyon came back was he can't turn water into wine, he doesnt have a magic wand and that he sold the Prez a mandate to undertake a hard rebuild.

Those few wins we had up to R6 probably reinforced the idea Ross may well be capable of turning water into wine but our record and performances since about R6 last year have been bottom 8.

I'm curious, for those fans that predicted we would make top 4, or were adamant we wouldn't slide, where do you predict we'll finish now? Or do you think our issues are still only as a result of injury?
But other than you moaning I’ve not read too many fans saying we are top 4???
I think we’ll struggle for 8 and that’s ok if I see (like I am now) the future being blooded and looking ok
It’s not about now - most Saints fans I know get that…except you ?
4 debutants this year - 2 I think have shown they are capable at the level
Midfield games/reality check into Pou
Owens/Windhager now at that “can you do it consistently” career stage
Captain back to his best
Marshall a beast
Backline looks strong …
It’s 25/26 onwards for me …always was ..I like Seb but if he’s our premier mid rotation at that stage we are in strife….
Ross doesn’t need a magic wand
He needs kids who can play…I think he knows this too …it’s why he’s said 2 weeks in a row …”midfield is a work in process”

A solid presser from the coach again.

He knows exactly where we are at.

Said Hugo helped turn the game.

I like that journo who rattled off some important stats at the end and having a laugh with RTB, who was it?

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don’t believe anyone said Ross was a magician and would definitely win us a flag.
But we’ve seen him make moves in games that have turned things in our favour at times - because he’s a strategist with far more nous than Richo or Ratts ever had. And because he’s had to work with, granted, not the most talented and often one of the biggest injury lists there is.
Does it make him the wunder-coach? No.
But I’d still far, far rather have him in the box than all the others we’ve had since his first stint.
Pretty sure he knows exactly where the team stands right now, and what players we still need.
We have to now transition away from that mindset, that was the thinking at the time Lyon was parachuted in, it was that binary thinking of we didn't rate Richo or Ratts but we are resolute in our belief that Lyon is better than both of them. Wind forward to now. Have we matured enough as a fan base to think deeper than that? Can we accept that we have our coach and we want him for the long tern, BUT!, the primary challenge is talent acquisition and I very much got the sense from many fans that they thought Ross was the answer to everything, that all of our young players on the list were going to automatically become stars because we had Ross the Boss, and because we had standards and becaue Ross Ross Ross.

He's good, he ain't that good, for example a lot of talk in the off season about Owens like he was Bont Mk2, the fact of the matter is we don't know what Owens ceiling is, he might be close to it, or he might be about to become Bont Mk2, point being some fans think he's already made it, they would be the fans that predicted us to go top 4 this year.

Just goes to show how bloody hard it is to build a premiership team.

Earlier you said 30 seconds, now a minute, by the end of next week it'll be a good half an hour disruption to training whilst they both had to be airlifted to the Alfred.

The incident was in the middle of the 50, so it wouldn't matter what side you were on.

Having said that, I'm just messing with you mate - hopefully you are 100% correct and there is zero correlation between this training incident and the injury he copped 2 days later after he flew to Canberra.
It was actually 54 seconds so I was wrong twice
Being only wrong twice is pretty good for me, I am usually wrong about footy roughly 90% of the time, the rest being a fluke.

Thank God his knee was not an acl.

Ya watch Geelong today, and see Rhyce Stanley running around in his 200th, and you wonder. Sure, he’s not a star, but talk about a useful bit player! Play him 12-15 games a year. How we could have done with him. St Kilda needs bit players. A rebuild and a ‘play-the-kids’ thingo is not viable because the comp is just against it. Look at North Melbourne. And look at Sydney …it’s while culture built on bit players, ageing stars, scraps from here and there and united in a passionate unit. Unless we get another crack like the 2002 again, and I don’t see 2002 ever happening again for a Bulldogs, Saints or Roos team. Tassie? Yep. I am left guessing why Pou was picked every game last year, week-in, week-out. Now it seems, we are so depleted and without a reserves team , well I say, there are no replacements. I think St Kilda should look to the Sydney model.

It’s another year of drafting and trying for a free agent - they will dangle cap space for a salary dump too.

It’s 2025 where they are planning to deal
I reckon it's atleast one year too soon, ATLEAST, unless we have a good few out-of-nowhere bolters from the current crop of kids I'd say at least 2 to 3 years away, need to take on the Geelong model, which is the long term plan, and only go the FA when you know an FA is the cherry on top...like a Cameron. In fact predicting when you will be in the FA market is amateurish and lacks a realistic approach in that how can you put a time frame on a list rebuild in terms of knowing when the list has the required critical mass of talent to contend? You can't know until you have it or almost have it. We clearly are some ways to go and it's more than one national draft and FA signing away.

All these time frame predictions of when a team is in their premiership window is just for corporate PR purposes and membership drives. I'd like to think Ross is in it for a longer term than his current 4 year deal.

We have to now transition away from that mindset, that was the thinking at the time Lyon was parachuted in, it was that binary thinking of we didn't rate Richo or Ratts but we are resolute in our belief that Lyon is better than both of them. Wind forward to now. Have we matured enough as a fan base to think deeper than that? Can we accept that we have our coach and we want him for the long tern, BUT!, the primary challenge is talent acquisition and I very much got the sense from many fans that they thought Ross was the answer to everything, that all of our young players on the list were going to automatically become stars because we had Ross the Boss, and because we had standards and becaue Ross Ross Ross.

He's good, he ain't that good, for example a lot of talk in the off season about Owens like he was Bont Mk2, the fact of the matter is we don't know what Owens ceiling is, he might be close to it, or he might be about to become Bont Mk2, point being some fans think he's already made it, they would be the fans that predicted us to go top 4 this year.

Just goes to show how bloody hard it is to build a premiership team.
Ross is leagues ahead of Ratten or Richo.

I’ve posted a few times already. But our current average age after 5 games in 2024 is on par with Hawthorn West coast Adelaide and a little ahead of North.

Behind Essendon GWS Suns Dogs Swans etc.

The reason we are competing is because of the quality of coach. Not because we have loaded up on quality first round pick kids that make up North GWS Suns

Ross is leagues ahead of Ratten or Richo.

I’ve posted a few times already. But our current average age after 5 games in 2024 is on par with Hawthorn West coast Adelaide and a little ahead of North.

Behind Essendon GWS Suns Dogs Swans etc.

The reason we are competing is because of the quality of coach. Not because we have loaded up on quality first round pick kids that make up North GWS Suns
When you say "competing" what do you mean? The middle of the ladder is the middle of the ladder. It's like a Saints fan proudly corrected me we had performed much better than the Gold Coast since they entered the competition, I struggle to see how I should feel better about that, frankly as far as I'm concerned since 2010 us and Gold Coat have performed exacrly the same.

But I take your point about a coach being the difference, the Gold Coast now have a triple premiership coach and stockpile of talent so they should start heading up well beyond the middle of the ladder soon huh?

They were Memes and shorts which is how the yoof role, only old and drunk people make stupid predictions you have to read on the internet.
Oh gotcha….so your posts are Memes?
Makes a lot more sense…
Funny stuff 👊

When you say "competing" what do you mean? The middle of the ladder is the middle of the ladder. It's like a Saints fan proudly corrected me we had performed much better than the Gold Coast since they entered the competition, I struggle to see how I should feel better about that, frankly as far as I'm concerned since 2010 us and Gold Coat have performed exacrly the same.

But I take your point about a coach being the difference, the Gold Coast now have a triple premiership coach and stockpile of talent so they should start heading up well beyond the middle of the ladder soon huh?
Competing.

2 wins. 3 losses by a combined 13 points against the Cats at the cattery. Giants in Canberra and Bummers at Marvel.

Injury list full of players who would be expected to be in and around the senior side bar Allison and Van Es.

Competing.

2 wins. 3 losses by a combined 13 points against the Cats at the cattery. Giants in Canberra and Bummers at Marvel.

Injury list full of players who would be expected to be in and around the senior side bar Allison and Van Es.
Ahhh come on, you know enough about the game to not be stubbornly blind, yes some close finishes but are you telling me you watched yesterday's game and thought we we are only a few injured players way from getting back from being in the same league?

I like that journo who rattled off some important stats at the end and having a laugh with RTB, who was it?

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
I liked that. Lyon seems to enjoy challenging the media about their knowledge and seeing them come in prepared like that is such a nice change.

For comparison, see the difference to the pre-game presser where they were asking dumb repeat questions and Lyon was done in 3 minutes.

Ahhh come on, you know enough about the game to not be stubbornly blind, yes some close finishes but are you telling me you watched yesterday's game and thought we we are only a few injured players way from getting back from being in the same league?
Ahhh see that’s where you are making a mistake.

I listed 3 games. Who’s to say we don’t win 1 or 2 of those games with a majority fit list?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back