Autopsy Round 5, 2024: GWS v St.Kilda

Remove this Banner Ad

The thing with the Hammer is he can be dropped to vfl and lose none of his enthusiasm, wait out his opportunity to come back and make the most of it. No chin drop no sooking.

As others have stated, it's fools gold to categorise any of our losses, irrespective of which team our losses were against, as being validation we are a good team save for some bad luck with injuries. If that makes fans feel better then I don't begrudge them for easing the pain, we are after all Saints supporters and we are well conditioned to masking our emotions in that regard.

But the reality is we are in a hard rebuild and the massive challenge ahead still lays in the area of talent acquisition. There is still a way to goes and it would be really beneficial if we could have some luck with injury so the coaches a can get an extended look at a healthy list.
Ha ha ah - I hope you don't coach any kids teams.

Now look here you losers - I don't care if you just lost to the top team in the comp (by a point) - you're all s*, p* off the lot of you and don't come back. (Insert irony emoji here)

Every list can get better but seriously - our list is not that bad.

I think we know enough about RTB's history to understand you cant expect to win big games just restricting the opposition scoring. We need to be able to score freely and consistently ourselves.

For me it's 'fools gold' looking at our close losses and believing we were unlucky or nearly there. In all our losses, we have had long periods where we weren’t competitive and the opposition were well on top. We do choke their scoring when they get a run on, but during those periods, we dont look like scoring ourselves.

It was a great come back yesterday but we have to remember GWS completely shut off. They allowed us back in which was more critical than us getting a run on at the end. Come a finals game they go for the throat and win by 40 or 50 points.

You take the win if we had of pinched it, but we still need to address the long periods in games we are non competitive. We cant expect to win games playing one or two quarters of very good footy its 'fools gold' and RTB knows that.
Yeah RTB was suitably down beat in the presser, he knows the deal.
I thought Windy had a great game in open play and Byrnes and Hugo added some snap to centre clearances. Henry had some runs through there too before injury and we looked much better. I reckon when him and Dow are both up and firing we're going to have a much better mix as our older players are just too flat footed. Steele is clearly best used minding the oppo's best mid and whilst Crouch gets first possession it's never on the move. The building blocks are there for a dynamic midfield if we can get them on the park.
It just seems that the guys aren't mentally switched on to start the game. Lead footed, fumbling, reactive, poor execution and decision-making. Then at half time they switch on. It's clearly mental.
Having forwards that miss easy shots is also really bad for that. We need to find a way to snag them on a consistent basis, probably go through Membrey in the 1st quarter or something.

For anyone moping about our situation, where did you have us at this stage of the season on the ladder?
We knew we had Cats in Geelong, Pies at the G, Giants away in the first 5 rounds.
At best, I'm sure most of us would have had us either an optimistic 3-2 or realistic 2-3.
And our % is still over 100.

And we haven't been playing "well", barely a half a game. At some stage we will play some good footy, almost every half decent team does.
Not the time to be throwing top draft picks out with the bathwater or declaring us a crap team etc etc.

That's next week.

Ha ha ah - I hope you don't coach any kids teams.

Now look here you losers - I don't care if you just lost to the top team in the comp (by a point) - you're all s*, p* off the lot of you and don't come back. (Insert irony emoji here)

Every list can get better but seriously - our list is not that bad.

Now you listen here!

I get it there are a lot of AFL fans who lack objectivity due to various reasons, but it takes some maturity in a a few areas to have really adult objectivity.

So let's make a deal, I won't insult you for your hysterical child-like support of a sporting club if you dont insult my adult-like objective and measured support of my club.

Deal?

Yeah RTB was suitably down beat in the presser, he knows the deal.
I thought Windy had a great game in open play and Byrnes and Hugo added some snap to centre clearances. Henry had some runs through there too before injury and we looked much better. I reckon when him and Dow are both up and firing we're going to have a much better mix as our older players are just too flat footed. Steele is clearly best used minding the oppo's best mid and whilst Crouch gets first possession it's never on the move. The building blocks are there for a dynamic midfield if we can get them on the park.
It just seems that the guys aren't mentally switched on to start the game. Lead footed, fumbling, reactive, poor execution and decision-making. Then at half time they switch on. It's clearly mental.
Having forwards that miss easy shots is also really bad for that. We need to find a way to snag them on a consistent basis, probably go through Membrey in the 1st quarter or something.
"It just seems that the guys aren't mentally switched on to start the game. Lead footed, fumbling, reactive, poor execution and decision-making. Then at half time they switch on. It's clearly mental."

I wonder what Lyon is doing leading up to a game and half way through it to prepare the team. Must be watching the horse races on his phone, then decides to get off his backside at halftime. Coaches do have a role, no matter what the sport, and rather than us saying "we only lost by a few points in a few games"... we should be asking the coach why his team has lost three winnable games by basically not turning up for half a match then trying to catch up.

Now you listen here!

I get it there are a lot of AFL fans who lack objectivity due to various reasons, but it takes some maturity in a a few areas to have really adult objectivity.

So let's make a deal, I won't insult you for your hysterical child-like support of a sporting club if you dont insult my adult-like objective and measured support of my club.

Deal?
No - f*** off!!!

I'm old and I need to believe that we are only one player away from a premiership. And I seriously believe that player is just finding his way at the club ATM and his name is

Cooper Sharman

No - f*** off!!!

I'm old and I need to believe that we are only one player away from a premiership. And I seriously believe that player is just finding his way at the club ATM and his name is

Cooper Sharman

OK, you're old, that makes sense, I'll go easy on you from now on then, good on you though for having a go at the internetty thing.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Well we havn;t had any blow outs in this rebuild and had two all australians and [layed finals last year. So if this is the 'hard rebuild' then can;t wait for us to be done .he scoring will come. Still think its less the actual goal kicking and more when we are getting our shots from.
And just the small but still vitally important reality we are a little short on talent and experience, hopefully the rebuild fixes that.

I reckon from all kicks hacked forward by ourselves or our opposition, we are on the end of only around 10-20% of them. Happening every week this year. It’s infuriating. Was thinking up to 2 weeks ago it was just bad luck. There’s more to it now I think. Always behind. Forward and back.

Am I imagining it? Not sure there’s an official stat that covers it.

Last edited:
I reckon from all kicks hacked forward by ourselves or our opposition, we are on the end of only around 10-20% of them. Happening every week this year. It’s infuriating. Was thinking up to 2 weeks ago it was just bad luck. There’s more to now I think. Always behind. Forward and back.

Am I imagining it? Not sure there’s an official stat that covers it.
I’m seeing this a fair bit in other games too tbf

"It just seems that the guys aren't mentally switched on to start the game. Lead footed, fumbling, reactive, poor execution and decision-making. Then at half time they switch on. It's clearly mental."

I wonder what Lyon is doing leading up to a game and half way through it to prepare the team. Must be watching the horse races on his phone, then decides to get off his backside at halftime. Coaches do have a role, no matter what the sport, and rather than us saying "we only lost by a few points in a few games"... we should be asking the coach why his team has lost three winnable games by basically not turning up for half a match then trying to catch up.

Starting yesterday and other games we have looked to be choked up with nerves and perhaps too much pre game information. The guys are not playing freely or insitinctively and as result look hesitant, which leads them to be second to the ball across the park. We then get behind on the score board and that causes the players further question their play. Perhaps RTB needs to just go back to concentratig on the things we do well and release the shackles - I dont know?

Well he's never had a problem with it before so l tend to think the data is in on that one.

You couldn't have been watching that closely on Thursday considering you missed Dow hobbling straight past you all and up the race to the medical room before the match sim.

In fact, with you old blokes and your eyesight, I'd be surprised if you could even tell Max from Higgins out there in the middle of the park
I was on the far side of the ground watching rehab and stayed there for match sim. The contact with Howard had zero to do with his knee yesterday, Howard was more inconvenienced, was a bump that both ran off within a minute.

On SM-S908E using BigFooty.com mobile app

And just the small but still vitally important reality we are a little short on talent and experience, hopefully the rebuild fixes that.
OK - I'll play the game.

So lets say we are having a "rebuild" (which we aren't). So just like every club we only get one 1st round pick which is likely to be Pick 10ish.

No 'rebuild" happening with that scenario.

So who are you trading out of the current list to get us multiple 1st round Picks to start doing an actual "rebuild"?

What could have been, but unfortunately I think that is going to the tale of our year. I had completely written us off but the team showed they care. They gave themselves a chance at the death, but when you make as many errors as we did you don't win many games. The fact in the end we had 6 more inside 50's than them shows how dysfunctional our forward line remains.

Marshall, Hill, Steele and Sinclair nearly dragged us across the line, but why does it take 110 minutes of footy to start playing our game?

I hope King's injury is not too serious, but I honestly believe our F50 functions better without him. Its harsh but IMO King is not going to take us to the promised land, he is too flaky with his impact on games. We really need to develop a winning forward 50 line up without relying on Max. If Max is fit and playing well, great, but otherwise we need to move away from developing our forward line around him, he is simply too unreliable. Unless injury forces their hand, the coaches will need to alter their mindset for this to happen perhaps they will be right.

They lost Taylor and then Coniglio and then all of a sudden the game shifted. Gees the amount of injuries and suspensions we have had this year is frustrating and at the end of the year I believe will prove really costly. Just imagine if we had a full list available today like GWS before the game, the outcome would be very different.

We have found our new energy bunny Garcia, who looked completely at home in the minutes he played. Wilson is going to be our next game winner. He really comes into his own when those around him are cooked.

Well done to RTB for throwing Battle into the middle late in the game, but why does he always wait so long to make these moves? The worry is how many players had seriously poor games today Sharman, Butler, King, Ross and Phillipou all had shockers. We can't replace all of them in the quick turn around, so its going to be tough to get the group up again in that time.

Kudos to the club for not giving up - but they really let themselves down today!
Ross mentioned in the presser that Seb did a job for us, so not sure what that was? But he must’ve been tagging someone. Tom Green?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back