Newest Posts

VFL Round 3, 2018: Sandringham v Port Melbourne 2pm

Remove this Banner Ad

Didn't see a kick in anger but those wanting change from nearly beating the best side might be disappointed. Surely its now Webster for Newnes.

Obviously except for Longer replacing Hickey, because as we've been regularly told, when fit, Longer is clearly the number 1 ruckman in the coaches, and anyone who knows football, eyes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pierce is the only player allowed to play at Frankston. And the AFL said they won't allow that arrangement of any other player.

Do you recall the reason why Pierce, and only Pierce? Or was it just a matter of only allowing one player and it happened to be him?

Sounds like the guy who rucked against Longer was on our list but we dropped him(Kiwi) , he kicked 2 goals on Longer in the first quarter and was taking marks around the ground , Longer won the ruck but couldn't control the guy around the ground by the sounds of it.
Was it Khan Haretaku? Yes was on saints rookie list about 5 or 6 or maybe 7 years ago. He is more of a key fwd than a ruck so prob explains why Billy dominated him in the ruck contests.
Would it be worth, sending two of our key backs to Frankston with Pierce?.
AFL has said Lewy is the only one they will allow, also I dont think Frankston hierarchy would be interested, they are really proud of being a stand alone club and want to remain stand alone, the reason they agreed to the Lewy deal I believe is Lewy is a Frankston (Mt Eliza) boy and the Dolphins want to be the South East rep side sort of thing in the VFL so makes sense to have a local kid playing there even if he is on Saints list.

Sounds like the guy who rucked against Longer was on our list but we dropped him(Kiwi) , he kicked 2 goals on Longer in the first quarter and was taking marks around the ground , Longer won the ruck but couldn't control the guy around the ground by the sounds of it.
Yes, Haretaku??
Fell on one of the Sandringham players in the Bencraft pocket in the third.
Poor guy didn’t move for a while.
He is HUGE.
And heavy obviously.
So is Jordan D’Lisle, the Port Captain.
He gave Austin some trouble.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm not sure. The AFL just said that they won't be allowing an arrangement like this for any other player at any club.
They let it go based on Academy zones, coaching continuity etc

"The deal, confirmed by the Saints to The Age, has been allowed as both Frankston and Sandringham fit within the Saints’ next generation academy zones, while Frankston coach Adam Skrobalak is also a ruck coach at St Kilda."

uYJ2Cj5.png

vizUHCy.png

fmd - 70 hitouts 9 possessions but only 1 mark for Billy. Building on his strengths but doing absolutely nothing about his weaknesses.

That's a pretty solid afternoon for Ed Phillips - 5 i50's and 5 R50's. Keeps this up for a couple more weeks and you'd think he'd be a chance for a debut.

Ben Paton and Rice with 20 + again.

I see Paton had 8 i50's. From the commentary it sounded like he should have nailed a couple of goals as well.

My boy is coming along nicely

fmd - 70 hitouts 9 possessions but only 1 mark for Billy. Building on his strengths but doing absolutely nothing about his weaknesses.

That's a pretty solid afternoon for Ed Phillips - 5 i50's and 5 R50's. Keeps this up for a couple more weeks and you'd think he'd be a chance for a debut.

Ben Paton and Rice with 20 + again.

I see Paton had 8 i50's. From the commentary it sounded like he should have nailed a couple of goals as well.

My boy is coming along nicely
And flip side - Longer's opponent was BOG with 7 marks and 2 goals..

Holmes was racking up the same number of hitouts each week and delisted.. They are meaning less and less now days.

G Thomas was a few years too early. If you look back at some of the things he tried to influence on the game, he was dead right.

And flip side - Longer's opponent was BOG with 7 marks and 2 goals..

Holmes was racking up the same number of hitouts each week and delisted.. They are meaning less and less now days.

G Thomas was a few years too early. If you look back at some of the things he tried to influence on the game, he was dead right.

the thing i do with ruckmen when playing in the state leagues is take their ruck work with a grain of salt, especially when going against non aligned sides. they almost always completely dominate the hit outs in those situations.

what is a better read is how they go in general play.

an example of this is freo over here, they had at one point 2 genuine rucks playing + 2 resting rucks. zac clark and griffen as the genuines. they absolutely destroyed the hit outs against my mob. freo fans were lapping it up. but the detail was that their opposition didnt have a genuine ruck, one was a forward, the other a mid/defender. freo's rucks had near on a 20cm advantage. so of course they dominated the hit outs. but here's the kicker. they got smashed in clearance, so it meant heck all. around the ground subi's ruck's dominated them, possession, marks, tackles.

like you said, what i want to see from billy at sandringham, isnt hit outs. we know he can do that. i want marks. contested marks. i want tackles. i want kicks. especially with his phobia of kicking the damned thing.

i kind of want to keep hickey in the side as long as he performs around the ground just to force longer to dislodge him by improving on his weakness. if he does that, we will have a good ruckmen.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back