VFL Round 3, 2018: Sandringham v Port Melbourne 2pm

Remove this Banner Ad

the thing i do with ruckmen when playing in the state leagues is take their ruck work with a grain of salt, especially when going against non aligned sides. they almost always completely dominate the hit outs in those situations.

what is a better read is how they go in general play.

an example of this is freo over here, they had at one point 2 genuine rucks playing + 2 resting rucks. zac clark and griffen as the genuines. they absolutely destroyed the hit outs against my mob. freo fans were lapping it up. but the detail was that their opposition didnt have a genuine ruck, one was a forward, the other a mid/defender. freo's rucks had near on a 20cm advantage. so of course they dominated the hit outs. but here's the kicker. they got smashed in clearance, so it meant **** all. around the ground subi's ruck's dominated them, possession, marks, tackles.

like you said, what i want to see from billy at sandringham, isnt hit outs. we know he can do that. i want marks. contested marks. i want tackles. i want kicks. especially with his phobia of kicking the damned thing.

i kind of want to keep hickey in the side as long as he performs around the ground just to force longer to dislodge him by improving on his weakness. if he does that, we will have a good ruckmen.

He cant do that. Its that simple. He is to slow and has poor hands and doesn't get to enough good positions to take marks. He got a game for one reason and that was hitting the ball. Especially this year with how the games are going sides are wanting their rucks to have a big influence around the ground. I'm sure Billy will play again this year because of Richos love of a contested game but his game will always be the same.

You’re both right.
One knock:
Ed needs to learn to keep his feet in the contest.
He went over too many times on Saturday.
A little thing, but important.
He is gradually becoming noticeable to supporters so he’s certainly progressing.
If it was me, and he continues in this vein, I’d keep him in the twos for probably another four weeks.
After that there’d be a strong argument for promotion and you’d be reasonably confident that he’d acquit himself well and carry his form into the higher grade.
Which I’d be most concerned with: no point in promoting a bloke too early and ruin his self belief.

Can someone put up a Box Hill vs Sandringham Nathan Freeman Returns thread please.

Sandringham

B: 76. D. McKenzie, 45. L. Austin, 50. B. Paton
HB: 51. D. Langlands, 61. D. Joyce, 78. B. Rice
C: 43. N. Freeman, 9. M. Cook, 5. B. Seccull
HF: 62. R. Connellan, 36. J. Battle, 1. D. Weickhardt
F: 12. B. Bailey, 23. T. Lamb, 56. N. Wright
R: 60. B. Longer, 2. K. Answerth, 70. D. Armitage
Int: 44. H. Clark, 40. O. Clavarino, 55. N. Coffield, 37. H. Goddard, 17. J. Haidon, 39. J. Lonie, 47. R. Marshall, 13. J. Noone, 46. E. Phillips, 63. J. Sinclair, 15. J. Sziller, 42. B. White

23P: 11. J. Matera

the thing i do with ruckmen when playing in the state leagues is take their ruck work with a grain of salt, especially when going against non aligned sides. they almost always completely dominate the hit outs in those situations.

what is a better read is how they go in general play.

an example of this is freo over here, they had at one point 2 genuine rucks playing + 2 resting rucks. zac clark and griffen as the genuines. they absolutely destroyed the hit outs against my mob. freo fans were lapping it up. but the detail was that their opposition didnt have a genuine ruck, one was a forward, the other a mid/defender. freo's rucks had near on a 20cm advantage. so of course they dominated the hit outs. but here's the kicker. they got smashed in clearance, so it meant **** all. around the ground subi's ruck's dominated them, possession, marks, tackles.

like you said, what i want to see from billy at sandringham, isnt hit outs. we know he can do that. i want marks. contested marks. i want tackles. i want kicks. especially with his phobia of kicking the damned thing.

i kind of want to keep hickey in the side as long as he performs around the ground just to force longer to dislodge him by improving on his weakness. if he does that, we will have a good ruckmen.
If by some miracle pierce comes good then billys days are numbered. Piss funny how our ruck stocks were considered a strength a year ago. I thought to myself at the time that they were all crap, but alas, I wasn't here then....

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Langlands and Freezer in the team should give them some real speed. Don’t anticipate that Freezer will go full pelt in his first game back though.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back