Autopsy Round 10, 2024: Hawks get pipped by Power

Remove this Banner Ad

On reflection Ginnivan not being on the ground in the last couple of minutes cost us.

His footy iq is so valuable, we so need him on ground in these kind of games at critical times. His leadership is very important.

We’ve been blessed with his addition to our list.
I'd of had him around the ball in that last setup too, with Day and Nash/Newcombe. To use their smarts, and big bodies.

Have the Port boos stopped yet. They were even booing the stone cold holding the balls. Somehow it was all unfair.

And yet the most dubious and ridiculous decisions for the day all went against the Hawks. 14 free kicks in just a quarter and a half.

JHF runs into Day diving with his head, the double dropping the ball in the last Qrt in the port defence by Aliir and then their captain. Play on😂

Seems odd to me that everyone wants to criticise Mitchell for costing us the game with his coaching but no one wants to praise Mitchell for putting us in a winning position in the first place.

It does feel like abit of a “pile on” over the last 24 hours.

He’s had an amazing ride already for such a young and junior AFL coach.

Gets the job in somewhat unceremonious fashion, gets praise for some good early results, makes hard decisions and is accused of tanking and one media stalwart suggested afl was going to investigate, then we come good in spite of young midfield, stalwart apologises, then he’s a genius, then we get injuries to key players and suffer a tough early draw and we seen as underperforming, then we win 2 from 3 games no one expected and he’s good again, then we go to Adelaide and play a team that blew us away last year and we nearly pinch it, but his last quarter errors cost us the game and he should have come down to ground level for the last ten minutes just like the other genius coach “old mate” Ken Hinkley did…

I reckon my job can be high pressure at times, but I wouldn’t swap with him for love nor money. AFL coaching seems like a nightmare to me.

A young developing side, with a young developing coach. Exciting when the green shoots show as the promise sparks hope of sustained success under a gun coach. Love Mitch but he needs more runs on the board as coach. Might need to binge some Cornes lovefest to shed this disappointment.

Odd that Drew got off with a fine for driving Newcombe's head into the ground. Scrimshaw was suspended for less last week!

Or Butters for whacking Meek in the face off the ball.

No luck for Chol.

Odd that Drew got off with a fine for driving Newcombe's head into the ground. Scrimshaw was suspended for less last week!
Commentators said there was nothing in either that or the Butters one. If they said they were in trouble you could almost guarantee a week

There is only one solace from all from this… Its that so many people will learn lessons.
From Weds to Meek… to Daisy, Nash… to Dimma, Mass and Karl…. Each makes just one different decision and the narrative is “hawks hold off fast finishing port”…
Last week it was done to perfection for 90 seconds inside the oppo D50. This week so many can look at what their role in losing was.

And thankfully it wasn’t in a match that came with any real cost.
It really wasn't done very well against St Kilda, Ginni kicking the ball long to the smallest forward line in the AFL led to a St Kilda mark and rebound. A fraction more time and the 'Aints may well have pinched it.

I'm not at all confident if we're 5 points up with 2 minutes to go that we can hold on or score.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This is actually interesting debate wise I reckon. Obviously deserved to lose but it’s not one of those ones where it’s score related and you can say “well it would’ve gone back to the centre bounce and any of xyz could’ve happened”. The game simply would’ve ended exactly 19 sec earlier.

This is actually interesting debate wise I reckon. Obviously deserved to lose but it’s not one of those ones where it’s score related and you can say “well it would’ve gone back to the centre bounce and any of xyz could’ve happened”. The game simply would’ve ended exactly 19 sec earlier.
Which also means it should be easy and straightforward to adjust the result to correct it.

If it was a final and this happened to any club they’d be taking it to court.

I know the AFL won’t do anything and ultimately it probably doesn’t impact our season. Just irks me how they “sign off” on shit like this as if it’s trivial and didn’t effect the result.

I'm not sure.

It's a perfect example of chaos theory in action...can you be sure that any miniscule, unnoticeable change in conditions in those 19 seconds would not have rendered any sort of change in the resultant kick, 19 seconds after a hypothetical previous kick?

Interesting philosophical discussion.

I tend to think it's one of those infinite sliding-doors moments. We will never know the infinite other outcomes that may have been if circumstances were only a tiny fraction of a fraction different.

Last edited:
Which also means it should be easy and straightforward to adjust the result to correct it.

If it was a final and this happened to any club they’d be taking it to court.

I know the AFL won’t do anything and ultimately it probably doesn’t impact our season. Just irks me how they “sign off” on s**t like this as if it’s trivial and didn’t effect the result.

Yeah the more I think about it, the more crook it feels lol. It would open a can of worms the AFL can’t handle if they ever reversed a result like that and that’s probably why they never would. Clubs would go back through every stoppage annd set shot with stopwatches to try reverse close results. I assume this happens more than we’re aware too.

If anyone wants a laugh head over to the Port board to see what they're saying about Burton. Here are some highlights:

so sick of him
Would happily trade him back to hawthorn for chad wingards ps4
my gosh he was horrific today
Put him in the greyhound annihilator
He's not injured, he's just a pea hearted spud
Has the turning circle of a semi truck.
Id take Bonner back for him, and I hated Bonner.

I'm not sure.

It's a perfect example chaos theory in action...can you be sure that any miniscule, unnoticeable change in conditions in those 19 seconds would not have rendered any sort change in the resultant kick, 19 seconds after a hypothetical previous kick?

Interesting philosophical discussion.

I tend to think it's one of those infinite sliding-doors moments. We will never know the infinite other outcomes that may have been if circumstances were only a tiny fraction of a fraction different.

Yeah in court of law we’d have a hard time arguing it you could put it that way.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back