Autopsy Round 10, 2024: Hawks get pipped by Power

Remove this Banner Ad

Can you believe Port Adelaide are 4th on the ladder? They're not good enough for top 4.
Yupp, theyre PA pretenders. Cant believe we were so dominant against them either and capitulated lol. Oh well, we will learn from it. But PA, theyre meant to be in their premiership window but they shouldnt be a top 4 side.

Gee TGG really stunk up the last few pages. A lot toys been thrown out of the cot tonight.
Almost need a cool down period before opening up the Autopsy thread.😂

Tough loss no doubt, but if there’s one thing we can all take away after tonight is that when we watch the footy from now on, it’s good knowing that the Hawks are a chance. No one here thought they were a chance today.

But from now on, after today, we should be thinking differently.
Brisbane, Crows in Melb, GWS in TAS and Tigers up next before the bye. Selection issues with a bunch of players all trying to squeeze into the team. Pretty exciting month ahead.👍🏻

Feel for frosty tried his absolutely guts out and you can see what it means to him. Day D’Ambrosio Meek were our best. Liked the games of dear and chol especially their pressure. Mackenzie is developing nicely and impacting philips had a solid game with Frosty.’ Worps dropped away stats but still have imo a big defensive impact. A lot to like about today when the emotion subsided.
The 3 howlers were the defensive setup at the last bounce and then 2 for Karl. The free kick as I said earlier the clock stopped at 0.33 even if he let him mark it the clock keeps running likely more time off they don’t get the shot and he is old enough to know he just had to take the tackle and it’s game over. Karl is not working down back a lot of junk ball he needs to go back to the wing he’s a defensive liability as a defender, although when he played wing he was good at rolling back and helping out which is different to be expected to defend.

Boys played amazingly well in the first 3 quarters. Ran out of gas and tried to play it safe in the last. I hope there aren’t too many mental scars from this, no lead will feel safe now which can lead to nervousness and loss of momentum in similar situations.

We need to be really strong to not let this shake us and hope the coaches are all over this.

Isn't it funny how as a supporter, you can go into a game with very low expectations but you watch it anyway, because you love the club and you want to be part of every step of the journey (and development of getting back into being a contender).

You're fully expecting it to be a hard watch (and you're almost more relaxed as you're not expecting it to be a close game). Then, if/when you start well (and for me the kids get excited), you tell yourself - there's a long way to go, they'll probably still come back and win it comfortably - but I'm just going to enjoy the goals we do kick and the good things we do.

Then - as the game wears on and you have still maintained a 5 goal lead and look the better team, you finally begin to believe and then to feel confident..."we're going to do it", "can't believe it", "what a game" "what a weekend" and tell yourself "I can actually relax and enjoy this", only to be soon saying..."surely they can't come back", "it's too far", "there's not enough time", "only need one or two more stoppages", etc, etc.

and by the end you are shocked, slightly confused and bitterly disappointed - it actually hurts - even though you came in with no expectations and did far better than expected... in fact, you probably would have taken a 1 point loss at the start of the day but then are extremely disappointed by it at the end of the day.

The kick outs infuriated me in the last qtr. You can’t keep doing the same thing over and over. Couldn’t someone break to the other side of the ground. So bloody negative.
It looked like after being burned twice by that earlier in the game, Port protected the other side of the ground better in the last

Isn't it funny how as a supporter, you can go into a game with very low expectations but you watch it anyway, because you love the club and you want to be part of every step of the journey (and development of getting back into being a contender).

You're fully expecting it to be a hard watch (and you're almost more relaxed as you're not expecting it to be a close game). Then, if/when you start well (and for me the kids get excited), you tell yourself - there's a long way to go, they'll probably still come back and win it comfortably - but I'm just going to enjoy the goals we do kick and the good things we do.

Then - as the game wears on and you have still maintained a 5 goal lead and look the better team, you finally begin to believe and then to feel confident..."we're going to do it", "can't believe it", "what a game" "what a weekend" and tell yourself "I can actually relax and enjoy this", only to be soon saying..."surely they can't come back", "it's too far", "there's not enough time", "only need one or two more stoppages", etc, etc.

and by the end you are shocked, slightly confused and bitterly disappointed - it actually hurts - even though you came in with no expectations and did far better than expected... in fact, you probably would have taken a 1 point loss at the start of the day but then are extremely disappointed by it at the end of the day.
😂😂😂 this is a good account. What makes it worse is when my son reminds me “45 seconds hey. We can’t lose from here hey”

My dreaded last words🤬

Was on the hill today watching. From about the second quarter the match had the feel we would get run over the top in the last 10 minutes. Could just see it coming from a mile away especially in the last with the way we played.

Was devastating walking out and seeing a heartbroken 3 year old in a hawks scarf being carried out crying in his dads arms.

Inexcusable really given our lead. But, we will learn much more from that than in a narrow win. Needed to happen at some stage in the development.

Other thoughts:
  • Pay Hardwick whatever he wants.
  • Allowing Houston to kick three is unforgivable.
  • To me it looked like Serong got torched by Marshall. He will definitely way for Sic this week.
  • Mackenzie had a superb clearance (in the third I think) which is a sign of what’s to come.
  • Calsher will be a player. We forget he is only 18 and he really looks like a boy out there.
  • Does Wiz sometimes try to do too much? Just need to get him and the ball into open space more often.
  • Phillips played well but wasn’t directly challenged often. Felt reliable. Would like for him to keep his spot.

This is actually a perfect summation of my feelings throughout the night!

Boys played amazingly well in the first 3 quarters. Ran out of gas and tried to play it safe in the last. I hope there aren’t too many mental scars from this, no lead will feel safe now which can lead to nervousness and loss of momentum in similar situations.

We need to be really strong to not let this shake us and hope the coaches are all over this.

As a supporter, you obviously hope the opposite happens. Ala 2012, you hope the hurt drives change and allows them to find something extra next time late in the game. You hope there is a lesson to be learned. Even against St Kilda and the Dogs, we took the clog it up approach and it worked but we did still give opportunities for them to win it late but their execution was not good enough to get it done (and the umpires didn't blow the whistle on any late 50/50 calls in those games). Playing it safe too early suggests a lack of belief still - the expectation we will be overrun and taking measures early to try and stop it. As we grow and improve, I hope we lose that perception and still carry on playing the game on its merits, trying to kick our next goal, use the corridor when available, still take the odd risk as more often than not, teams won't be able to come back into it to properly threaten in the first place. Last 2 minutes you can play repeat stoppage clog it up football (and maintain possession) football to protect a slender lead and the likelihood of a team kicking 2 goals in 30 seconds again is extremely slim. But I think we need to believe in ourselves, our systems and what earnt the lead enough to not feel the need to take that approach as early as we have been.

😂😂😂 this is a good account. What makes it worse is when my son reminds me “45 seconds hey. We can’t lose from here hey”

My dreaded last words🤬

Yeah - my kids were excitedly looking up the ladder. "How many spots will we go up dad?", "Will we go past so and so", "Can't wait to tell xxx tomorrow" - jumping around, etc. The worst part is they're quite young and it has just worked out that they have barely seen a win (certainly never attended one). You already feel awful after a loss like that and then you see that you've gotten your kids invested and excited so their disappointment piles on top of yours.

The only saving grace is that I tell myself it will make the good times that much sweeter for them when they do come and knowing this club we support, those times WILL come and they'll be properly good.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The coaching was gutless, what message do the players take when they see Hardwick moved back after kicking five goals to 3/4 time. Or Day standing by himslef in the Port goal square.
Bruest came on for CJ who needed to be managed.
Of course Hardwicke goes back with Bruest on.

Stick to commenting on teams and structures you know something about.

The coaching was gutless: what message do the players take when they see Hardwick moved back after kicking five goals to 3/4 time. Or Day standing by himself in the Port goal square (in the last Qtr).
Gee you couldn’t try any less to be a dick
Now **** off pretender

The coaching was gutless: what message do the players take when they see Hardwick moved back after kicking five goals to 3/4 time. Or Day standing by himself in the Port goal square (in the last Qtr).
Hardwick went back because we needed an experienced defender back and CJ who is a defender was subbed off for Breust who is a forward

Day probably ran to the goal square as he could see the dire situation and wanted to help out the defence - he also spent the first two years at the club playing off half back

Don't take this the wrong way but you are an awful ****wit of a poster who doesn't even go for the Hawks so **** off back to your own board you campaigner

Sorry we have kept pressure off donuts

#sackhinkley

This.

So good for so long...and then...shattering.

Like Sam in the press conference, at some stage I will be able to pick the good things out of this match...but not quite yet

The good things already stand out for me…..

We are a young team missing our best spine in Lewis, Sicily and Scrimshaw. Blanck could well be added to that, not a super star ( yet ) …. but let’s Sicily of the chain.

We have super young team creating these performances. Mitchell, MacDonald, Watson, Dear, Day, Serong, Phillips, D’Ambrosio, Mackenzie just on 50 games or under. Ramsden and Ward waiting for there turn again.

Jaith made a solid come back.

We are having close games this year and winning some. Just need to win more close games in 2025. Also need to reduce the gap between our best and our worst performances.

The future is bright for our young Hawks.

I think the guys wont be mentally scarred.

They'll go into it knowing we've been in 3 very close games in a row against finals aspirants this season and won 2/3. 2/4 across the whole season if we count the Collingwood game.

I think the guys wont be mentally scarred.

They'll go into it knowing we've been in 3 very close games in a row against finals aspirants this season and won 2/3. 2/4 across the whole season if we count the Collingwood game.
By midweek a positive spin on that line of thinking is that we are capable of running with the best... now we need run faster.

Keep at it lads.

On SM-A546E using BigFooty.com mobile app

We started the rot in the 3rd qtr and continued the rot into the last.

Horrendously coached and played last 30 minutes of football.

Tactics were woeful and leadership/ maturity on the ground even worse. The review from an inexperienced coaching team should be absolutely brutal on themselves.

Absolute panic stations everywhere and we only had ourselves to blame for the way we handed momentum and a sniff of victory to the opposition when we thought we we could ice a game with 30 minutes remaining. 🤦🏼

Real crap loss and sh.t way to end the weekend.
Inexperienced? Mitchell's had almost 3 years has head coach, Ratten is an experienced Senior Coach and Assistant. Inexperience had nothing to do with it.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back