Autopsy Round 10, 2024: Hawks get pipped by Power

Remove this Banner Ad

That’s one of the most devastating losses I’ve seen in the past decade.

A lot of positives, but too defeated to care about them at the minute.

The close finals loses in 2011 and 2012 hurt far worse in my opinion.

I see where our Hawks are heading and I know there will be ups and down getting our list ready for a premiership tilt.

I think JHF is too big, strong and fast to be tagged.

Butters doesn't have the size to wear a 97kg body at the stoppage for 4 quarters.

Sam shouldn't have changed a thing. It wasn't as if JHF was winning them the game. He was off the leash and we were still 4 goals up.
Would have loved to see Maginess given the job on JHF, maybe he will next time round. Loss is a good learning experience for Sam, we were lucky to get over the line the last two weeks playing this defensive rubbish, will always be found out by a better team.

Obsessed with Lloyd Meek. What a gun. Better team all day against a team meant to be in their window. Massimo has been a great recruit

Absolutely! All I can think about is how good it is that we seem to have nailed our trades the last two years. Meek is a gun and dambrosio is also seriously good. We got them for peanuts. Ginniven also has a huge upside. Even Chol has been pretty good. It’s smart “needs based” trading like that elevates you to the next level. The future is bright.

Did you not witness the last quarter?
Mistakes were made sure. Players were out on their feet. Rub of the green going with them plus massive home crowd advantage. I watched the entire game. Everyone will need to take stock - but to talk about putting the staff on notice is some meaningless bullshit from "so called" supporters who actually live more for us to lose so they can whinge like the man babies they are

Mistakes were made sure. Players were out on their feet. Rub of the green going with them plus massive home crowd advantage. I watched the entire game. Everyone will need to take stock - but to talk about putting the staff on notice is some meaningless bullshit from "so called" supporters who actually live more for us to lose so they can whinge like the man babies they are

I hope that makes you feel better.

Sadly not even the worst concede 2 goals in the last minute loss against Port. The one in 2007 was somehow even worse than that
Haha I remember that one vividly. Had an embarrassing meltdown in front of my parents. Stormed out of the house like a tool and went for a long walk.

Sent from my SM-S916B using Tapatalk

(Log in to remove this ad.)

we are a long way off the top teams, so a loss like this isn't really a big deal, it is a great learning experience.
I was so pleased with the first-up effort of Phillips, he's a lot better than he appears at VFL level, and you'd think he and Blanck will have a ding-dong battle to secure that KPD spot next year.
would imagine Mackenzie got a serious rocket at half time, his third quarter was much better but he has to develop much better aerobic capacity next off-season, it is the one thing that is clearly lacking.
As bad as the last quarter was, it should have been well out of reach at 3/4 time anyway, Dear should have had four goals and Hawks should have lead by 45 at the final change. I'd hope Calsher puts that goal-kicking performance well behind him.
Hardwick and Ginnivan were fabulous up forward, Chol again excellent, yet another strong, 2-goal game.
Day was exceptional for 3/4's, what a pity his pre-season was ruined.
Mitchell is a beauty, can't wait to see him match up on Charlie Cameron next week.
Serong not up to it today, needs to get stronger and develop a one-touch attack on the ball. Hopefully Sicily will take that spot next week, with Scrimma coming in for the unlucky Phillips (if there are no injuries)

Port were woeful early. We shouldn’t have lost that. When they finally had a crack, we went to water. Sam..why go so defensive and only try not to lose it??
They were there for the taking. No Rozee, slippery so most desperate team (us for 3 quarters) can win. And we turn it up.
Need to roll a team when we are on top and win by 10 goals plus. Not go defensive. Poor by Sam.

We started the rot in the 3rd qtr and continued the rot into the last.

Horrendously coached and played last 30 minutes of football.

Tactics were woeful and leadership/ maturity on the ground even worse. The review from an inexperienced coaching team should be absolutely brutal on themselves.

Absolute panic stations everywhere and we only had ourselves to blame for the way we handed momentum and a sniff of victory to the opposition when we thought we we could ice a game with 30 minutes remaining. 🤦🏼

Real crap loss and sh.t way to end the weekend.

Played so well in the first 3 quarters then ran out of steam in the last. Overall a super positive game if heartbreaking in the last few seconds of it.

If the players had just a bit more in the tank the games over at 3 quarter time. Also if we took our chances earlier it’s also over by then.

Still got a bit to work on though. Need to be able to force a stoppage from a kick out at a minimum rather than consistently turning it over.

A great effort all up though, the only reason we were too tired in the last is we gave 20% more effort than port up to that point.

Soul destroying
I understand why you could say this, although I do not agree.

For mine, though, soul destroying is a 12 goal thrashing. We’ve had two close wins and now a close loss. Great opportunity for players and coaches to work through it to identify patterns and anti-patterns.

P

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back