RDFNL 2018 Season discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why is it a silly move?

Both they and the Lions want imto the EDFL which takes away their point of difference from each other. Also despite the incessant criticism the RDFL is a terrific little comp that combimes elememts of metro and country footy which is played in some of the most picturesque settings you will ever come across rather than suburban reserves.

Many of you blokes have no idea how good you have it

Both they and the Lions want imto the EDFL which takes away their point of difference from each other. Also despite the incessant criticism the RDFL is a terrific little comp that combimes elememts of metro and country footy which is played in some of the most picturesque settings you will ever come across rather than suburban reserves.

Yeah i get it...it will be interesting too see if other clubs follow Sunbury K into the edfl over the next few year...could be the beginning of the end of the rdfl...hope not though

Yeah i get it...it will be interesting too see if other clubs follow Sunbury K into the edfl over the next few year...could be the beginning of the end of the rdfl...hope not though

I’d doubt it very much. The grass is not always greener in the next door paddock. I have close friends involved in the EDFL and they are constantly disillusioned with the way their league is ran, so it’s not just our league with governance issues.
I can’t see the sense in it myself. They have great local rivalries with Rupo & Diggers, have a good following at home and away games and will play on sh.t pot grounds against average teams with even more average supporters.

I’d doubt it very much. The grass is not always greener in the next door paddock. I have close friends involved in the EDFL and they are constantly disillusioned with the way their league is ran, so it’s not just our league with governance issues.
I can’t see the sense in it myself. They have great local rivalries with Rupo & Diggers, have a good following at home and away games and will play on sh.t pot grounds against average teams with even more average supporters.
Im a big fan of divisional football...hopefully it turns out too be a wise move for Sunbury kangas.

Whilst I do support the Kangas pursuit to where they feel they need to be as a club going forward in this increasingly tougher recreational sporting environment ... I actually agree with Roota re: above quote.

The only thing preventing the RDFL is the actual clubs, take back what’s yours and actually demand the RDFL Board act in your best interests and or/wishes and it’s a quick fix.

Regardless of whether AFL Goldfields are paid administrative personnel to overlook your day to day operations, the most power surely happens on how topics are discussed/voted on at actual RDFL meetings.

For the topical stuff (like GF held at a non RDFL venue for instance) enough of your club appointed voices voted yes, so that’s 100% where the conversations need to start again.

Anyway to Al and his club, good luck going forward and here’s hoping in time it truly works out for you all.

Whilst I do support the Kangas pursuit to where they feel they need to be as a club going forward in this increasingly tougher recreational sporting environment ... I actually agree with Roota re: above quote.

The only thing preventing the RDFL is the actual clubs, take back what’s yours and actually demand the RDFL Board act in your best interests and or/wishes and it’s a quick fix.

Regardless of whether AFL Goldfields are paid administrative personnel to overlook your day to day operations, the most power surely happens on how topics are discussed/voted on at actual RDFL meetings.

For the topical stuff (like GF held at a non RDFL venue for instance) enough of your club appointed voices voted yes, so that’s 100% where the conversations need to start again.

Anyway to Al and his club, good luck going forward and here’s hoping in time it truly works out for you all.

I Agree too, IMO the RDFNL is a great comp with many great clubs that have ever improving facilities and passionate people involved who only want what is best for their own clubs and the long term future of our league too.

The Kangas have been talking about this move for a few years now and if the results of the vote to move to the EDFL is right as reported on this site then it looks like the ground swell of members opinion has grown significantly to sanction the move now.

As a recent previous executive member of an RDFNL club at Romsey my first question is why would any club wish to leave our league? I have had conversations with Al and many other club exec’s on the Q many times over the last few years.

While individual clubs have a range of different issues that impact on their respective clubs competitiveness including geography, access to competitive sponsorship, competing sporting codes in their local area, limited or unequal access to club based financial resources compared to some clubs, which greatly limits some clubs ability to compete in the area of player recruitment and even retention of quality players including their own young local talent to name a few.

However the one overwhelming issue that is talked about the most is the fees, the cost of our annual fees has a crippling impact on most clubs ability to operate each season especially when combined with the other issues listed above. I’m not aware of exactly what other league fees are in comparison to the RDFNL (is anyone able to enlighten on this?) but this one issue remains the most contentious.

The ability of clubs to maintain financial viability and cover all their respective running costs is getting harder and harder so it’s no wonder some clubs are considering moves to other leagues if it’s going to reduce the financial burden on their club immediately, plus being offered other financial incentives by those leagues that will further reduce ongoing costs.

It’s not rocket science to see it soon becomes a major influence on clubs decision to move leagues, and if this is not addressed in a meaningful and comprehensive manner by all competing clubs in collaboration with the RDFNL then you may find other clubs may start looking outside of the RDFNL too for their own long term viability, survival and financial sustainability.

One major concern I have which is directly impacted on similar reasons already stated is the competitiveness of our Under 19s competition . While some clubs are greatly advantaged by their geography with their proximity to larger local populations (no fault attributed, it’s just a fact) other clubs have to rely heavily on their own less populated local area based players, which is an ever dwindling pot and becoming harder and harder for clubs to provide incentive to recruit players to either want to play, retention or even stay local. Once again one of the main issues for this group comes down to cost. This group more than any other has less access to reliable finances for a range of reasons and an even greater range of outside influences to spend their limited money on. How many clubs are always chasing up unpaid memberships or uniform fees every year for this age group?

For too long now some clubs have not even had a thirds side, and other clubs including my own have been less and less competitive and had to either play with the minimum number allowed week in week out or forfeit more often due to lack of players and I cannot see this changing for these clubs anytime soon unless this is seen as a real issue and addressed with real conviction by the league. Do they see this as a real problem? I’m not convinced they do.

Maybe one way the league/s could provide incentive for clubs and players alike could be that for the Under 19’s suspend or even remove their annual player registration fees for both the RDFNL & AFLGF, plus remove the portion of affiliation fees for clubs to field their thirds sides, and maybe as a show of good faith reduce the costs on a clubs annual fees to the value associated with their annual players uniforms?

With these financial barriers removed this would have the immediate impact of reducing a clubs total annual fees and most importantly provide ALL clubs with a real incentive and real ability to recruit the much needed players without the financial impost on them, and IMO create a far more equal and competitive even competition where all clubs will have the ability to field an Under 19’s team.

Pipe dreams? or something worth considering? If the underlying reasons why clubs are leaving the RDFNL are not addressed in any meaningful way and soon then the discontentment among clubs will continue to fester and who knows, other clubs may consider a similar course of action.

Apologies for long post, If you don’t know by now I’m more for thoughtful and considered then short and sweet, and is my own personal opinion.

Cheers Pete.

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app

Last edited:
I Agree too, IMO the RDFNL is a great comp with many great clubs that have ever improving facilities and passionate people involved who only want what is best for their own clubs and the long term future of our league too.

The Kangas have been talking about this move for a few years now and if the results of the vote to move to the EDFL is right as reported on this site then it looks like the ground swell of members opinion has grown significantly to sanction the move now.

As a recent previous executive member of an RDFNL club at Romsey my first question is why would any club wish to leave our league? I have had conversations with Al and many other club exec’s on the Q many times over the last few years.

While individual clubs have a range of different issues that impact on their respective clubs competitiveness including geography, access to competitive sponsorship, competing sporting codes in their local area, limited or unequal access to club based financial resources compared to some clubs, which greatly limits some clubs ability to compete in the area of player recruitment and even retention of quality players including their own young local talent to name a few.

However the one overwhelming issue that is talked about the most is the fees, the cost of our annual fees has a crippling impact on most clubs ability to operate each season especially when combined with the other issues listed above. I’m not aware of exactly what other league fees are in comparison to the RDFNL (is anyone able to enlighten on this?) but this one issue remains the most contentious.

The ability of clubs to maintain financial viability and cover all their respective running costs is getting harder and harder so it’s no wonder some clubs are considering moves to other leagues if it’s going to reduce the financial burden on their club immediately, plus being offered other financial incentives by those leagues that will further reduce ongoing costs.

It’s not rocket science to see it soon becomes a major influence on clubs decision to move leagues, and if this is not addressed in a meaningful and comprehensive manner by all competing clubs in collaboration with the RDFNL then you may find other clubs may start looking outside of the RDFNL too for their own long term viability, survival and financial sustainability.

One major concern I have which is directly impacted on similar reasons already stated is the competitiveness of our Under 19s competition . While some clubs are greatly advantaged by their geography with their proximity to larger local populations (no fault attributed, it’s just a fact) other clubs have to rely heavily on their own less populated local area based players, which is an ever dwindling pot and becoming harder and harder for clubs to provide incentive to recruit players to either want to play, retention or even stay local. Once again one of the main issues for this group comes down to cost. This group more than any other has less access to reliable finances for a range of reasons and an even greater range of outside influences to spend their limited money on. How many clubs are always chasing up unpaid memberships or uniform fees every year for this age group?

For too long now some clubs have not even had a thirds side, and other clubs including my own have been less and less competitive and had to either play with the minimum number allowed week in week out or forfeit more often due to lack of players and I cannot see this changing for these clubs anytime soon unless this is seen as a real issue and addressed with real conviction by the league. Do they see this as a real problem? I’m not convinced they do.

Maybe one way the league/s could provide incentive for clubs and players alike could be that for the Under 19’s suspend or even remove their annual player registration fees for both the RDFNL & AFLGF, plus remove the portion of affiliation fees for clubs to field their thirds sides, and maybe as a show of good faith reduce the costs on a clubs annual fees to the value associated with their annual players uniforms?

With these financial barriers removed this would have the immediate impact of reducing a clubs total annual fees and most importantly provide ALL clubs with a real incentive and real ability to recruit the much needed players without the financial impost on them, and IMO create a far more equal and competitive even competition where all clubs will have the ability to field an Under 19’s team.

Pipe dreams? or something worth considering? If the underlying reasons why clubs are leaving the RDFNL are not addressed in any meaningful way and soon then the discontentment among clubs will continue to fester and who knows, other clubs may consider a similar course of action.

Apologies for long post, If you don’t know by now I’m more for thoughtful and considered then short and sweet, and is my own personal opinion.

Cheers Pete.

Like it

Cheers Pete.

Hardly worth apologising for Pete, all valid points and topical issues that continually get tiptoed around.

Sometimes we do need to hear thoughtful feedback, good bad or otherwise from all folk involved in this climate that is "local footy"

Opinions are our own, and that never means we are wrong, quite often it means we're simply passionate enough to try coz it means something to an individual .... and to give light to issues some (many) ignore because it simply don't effect them or their respective club may be having more a impact that people realise.

Reality is that one day it just might, and until you've been thru some battles and harship you don't truly "GET" where many are coming from. Personally I wholeheartedly love local footy, and what it did for me when I needed it most.
The friends, peers, mentors, rivals, allies and adverseries I've made over 20-25 years now, across 6-7 different competitions I'll will be forever grateful to as they have all contributed to me and where I'm at now.

Whilst I have no actually ties or allegiance to a club as such it dont mean for minute that I don't care or would like to see everyone "thrive" to the best of their abilities. And if that means it has to be done elsewhere then so be it, as the alternative these days isn't great and we don't wanna see clubs fold.

Unite as a collective of 11 clubs, actually hear out what our lesser likes have to say because they are spending just as much in fee's etc as the mighty and if more look elsewhere for survival then who owns the fallout ... the RDFL Board, AFL Goldfields or peers from rival clubs who have maybe in someway (not intentionally) dropped the ball on the whole picture.

Surely we'd all hate to see things dwindle as a result of things we can actually control a little bit from within. That's what makes a good comp, is the fact when things get a bit iffy it's the clubs who drive the change and make it better.

Last edited:

Cheers Pete.

Pete for RDFNL Pres I reckon

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Pete for RDFNL Pres I reckon

Assuming Ollie presented to the Kanga's (and I so hope it was better than how Kilmore Seniors then Juniors were left feeling) about why the RDFL wanted them to stay etc ... and I'm glad to see the current RDFL prez is disappointed as at the end of the day we are merely custodians and must do all we can when we can to preserve, sell, promote in the best interests of everyone.

upload_2018-10-2_14-24-2.png

(Log in to remove this ad.)

One if the main reasons for the move is that they don’t need to have netball teams. They haven’t been able to fill the teams for the last few seasons and the two teams that they had this year only won 1 game between them.

This will be a good move for the Kangas.

Too little, too late for the League with this being the first of a few moves I am hearing.

One if the main reasons for the move is that they don’t need to have netball teams. They haven’t been able to fill the teams for the last few seasons and the two teams that they had this year only won 1 game between them.

This will be a good move for the Kangas.

Too little, too late for the League with this being the first of a few moves I am hearing.

In another article that I have read Mr Rod Ward more or less accused the Kangaroos board of steering the members down this path and that the Kangaroos commitment to netball is not the same as the RDFLs
Maybe if he is so good than he can try and get netball sides from a town that has to try and support at least 5 clubs with netball
Sorry the article was on Star weekly Facebook page not sure how to share it!!

In another article that I have read Mr Rod Ward more or less accused the Kangaroos board of steering the members down this path and that the Kangaroos commitment to netball is not the same as the RDFLs
Maybe if he is so good than he can try and get netball sides from a town that has to try and support at least 5 clubs with netball

Wonder if the RDFL will try and block the move as they did with Broadford

I saw the same article and thought it was poor form from Ward to get on the defensive this way. I never got the impression that the Kangaroos has a major problem with the league and were trying to help themselves out of a situation after years of trying.
For Ward to say that the club didn’t really try with their netball department is complete bullsh.. Sounds like sour grapes to me, or he realises what he is doing to the league and it’s starting to catch up with him.

Assuming Ollie presented to the Kanga's (and I so hope it was better than how Kilmore Seniors then Juniors were left feeling) about why the RDFL wanted them to stay etc ... and I'm glad to see the current RDFL prez is disappointed as at the end of the day we are merely custodians and must do all we can when we can to preserve, sell, promote in the best interests of everyone.

View attachment 567293
I think you will find that there was no representation from EDFL or AFL Goldfields.
Disappointing is an understatement........

Hang on there girls/ladies are playing football though so surely that must be applauded and/or supported in the day of encouraging physical and social health and well being.

Who decided all of a sudden that netball MUST be adhered to in full? Some clubs can’t field 3rds footy, some can’t fill full compliments of netball sides .... shouldn’t be held against the club but seen as do8ng what u can to offer games to anyone willing to be involved.

I’ve said since the wheels got going on grassroots female footy .... clubs and small communities will not be able to provide woman’s footy and netball as it’s dipping into the same demographic for players.

I think you will find that there was no representation from EDFL or AFL Goldfields.
Disappointing is an understatement........
Both entities did present though prior in the lead up to the vote surely?

Both entities did present though prior in the lead up to the vote surely?
Was meant to read RDFL & AFL Goldfields were not present on the night.
Sunbury Kangaroos and EDFL have been in regular contact.
We should not be making it more difficult for clubs to exist. We are never going to have a level playing field no matter which way you interpret it.

So 13 teams down to 11 if broadford and rockbank move will be 9 not looking like there’s stability Goldfields need to restructure now

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back