RDFNL 2018 Season discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
In another article that I have read Mr Rod Ward more or less accused the Kangaroos board of steering the members down this path and that the Kangaroos commitment to netball is not the same as the RDFLs
Maybe if he is so good than he can try and get netball sides from a town that has to try and support at least 5 clubs with netball
Sorry the article was on Star weekly Facebook page not sure how to share it!!

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
Sunbury has a massive netball scene. On top of the football clubs running netball, The Sunbury Netball Association have a huge netball comp. There are only so many players and they are spread very thin. That kind of attitude shows how maybe the RDFL is not the place for metropolitan clubs with other competing forces.

The fact is, with this decision, the RDFNL just got weaker as a competition going into 2019. I don't care how disappointed the league are in the news of the vote, tell me what are they doing to ensure the league sustainability, what is the plan, or will be disappointed each time a club withes to leave until there is no comp. EDFl and WRFL have come out publicly in the last 12 months stating they want more teams across their three divisions, what is it that our league wants.

The fact is, with this decision, the RDFNL just got weaker as a competition going into 2019. I don't care how disappointed the league are in the news of the vote, tell me what are they doing to ensure the league sustainability, what is the plan, or will be disappointed each time a club withes to leave until there is no comp. EDFl and WRFL have come out publicly in the last 12 months stating they want more teams across their three divisions, what is it that our league wants.
Carefull been plugging this and been hammered on here perhaps now some may open there eyes and see the bumpy path ahead the answer to your point AFLL is they have no answer

s**t Doona I’ve said the same and you hammered me :)
Perhaps it’s the wording, think many posters have tried (myself included) to share opinion on this topic but often get the mucking words all fuddled up.

Matt Quigley from st.albans (rupo jnr) headed to sunbury kangas if the vote goes through. Who else will he take with him?

Assuming Ollie presented to the Kanga's (and I so hope it was better than how Kilmore Seniors then Juniors were left feeling) about why the RDFL wanted them to stay etc ... and I'm glad to see the current RDFL prez is disappointed as at the end of the day we are merely custodians and must do all we can when we can to preserve, sell, promote in the best interests of everyone.

View attachment 567293
As an ex Captain Coach of the club in its second year of infancy (1988) & then beating them in a Grand Final, only to lose against them in a Grand Final the next year, I have mixed emotions, I wish them all the very best for the future BUT in my personal view, I think its a mistake. I am not on the inside, so I don't know the reasons behind the move. I believe the RDFL is one of the great leagues in todays footy, I read so much negative sh*t on here, mainly from persons who don't fully understand how leagues or clubs are run. Believe me this league has its faults just like any other. Most clubs are struggling due to bad governance, it's not always the fault of the league. Wallan left for the Northern League & struggled badly, I coached against them beating them by 30 goals in 2007, it was really sad to see my old club on it's knees! When approached by Wallan to re-join them as coach, I stated that I would do the job, if they returned to the RDFL, so the rest is history. I'm pretty sure they're doing ok now & glad to be a part of the RDFL. what's Kilmore done since departing to the Northern League? Probably time for them to return. Its very difficult to plan ahead when you have more than one division, lets say your lucky enough to win a B grade Flag, you then get promoted to A grade & you get smashed the next year, if you haven't got a couple of hundred Grand to throw at players. The Western Rams aint going anywhere & I hope Broadford stay put & remain patient for their kids to mature, a little like Romsey have been doing for the last couple of years. The RDFL have produced plenty of AFL players & the clubs need to concentrate on one pointers & recruit patiently. I see ex Coburg vice captain Nathan Blair has knocked back huge $$$ to play back at his junior club, that says something about the character of the man, something about the club & something about the league. If the people at Melton South want to leave the Ballarat league, they should look no further than where they originated the RDFL.

Silly move imo
It’s one of the most short sighted and illogical decisions I have seen from a local sporting club. It makes no sense on any level when you really analyse it.

It’s too easy for clubs to point the finger and leagues now. Take responsibility for decisions your club makes and work to correct them. The easy fix mentality will only end with clubs being in a worse position.

There are some great people at Kangas I sincerely hope this isn’t the beginning of the end for them. It will start well enough in EDFL Div 2. When/if they win that comp they will be in trouble. Div 1 has a huge salary cap and the points system won’t allow them enough recruits to compete. You watch players flee back to the RDFL when it becomes apparent they will be travelling to Craigieburn/APW to get beaten by 20 goals every week.

It’s one of the most short sighted and illogical decisions I have seen from a local sporting club. It makes no sense on any level when you really analyse it.

It’s too easy for clubs to point the finger and leagues now. Take responsibility for decisions your club makes and work to correct them. The easy fix mentality will only end with clubs being in a worse position.

There are some great people at Kangas I sincerely hope this isn’t the beginning of the end for them. It will start well enough in EDFL Div 2. When/if they win that comp they will be in trouble. Div 1 has a huge salary cap and the points system won’t allow them enough recruits to compete. You watch players flee back to the RDFL when it becomes apparent they will be travelling to Craigieburn/APW to get beaten by 20 goals every week.

I don’t think this decision was made lightly. It’s been talked about and planned for for a number of seasons. As stated previously, the main reason is because they can get enough netballers to field 4 teams. Which is understandable considering there are 3 other teams close by (4 if you include Riddell) and a thriving netball association only across the river and the growth of women’s footy which severely depletes the amount of ladies/girls needed to field all these teams.

When they do make it to Div 1, they will be competitive. They have some great junior and not to many recruits. That said, the recruits they have now will be on less points when it gets to that, so recruiting won’t be an issue.

Travelling to Craigieburn and Airport West is just the same as travelling to Melton and Rockbank and is heaps closer than Woodend and Broadford.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don’t think this decision was made lightly. It’s been talked about and planned for for a number of seasons. As stated previously, the main reason is because they can get enough netballers to field 4 teams. Which is understandable considering there are 3 other teams close by (4 if you include Riddell) and a thriving netball association only across the river and the growth of women’s footy which severely depletes the amount of ladies/girls needed to field all these teams.

When they do make it to Div 1, they will be competitive. They have some great junior and not to many recruits. That said, the recruits they have now will be on less points when it gets to that, so recruiting won’t be an issue.

Travelling to Craigieburn and Airport West is just the same as travelling to Melton and Rockbank and is heaps closer than Woodend and Broadford.

So what happens when the EDFL Netball program is fully unveiled in the next 3 seasons? It will be inevitable that a requirement to field teams will happen, this reason is completely moot. The Kangaroos aren’t the only team in a competitive environment when it comes to Netball, from my perspective, I have my own opinions on the Roos netball program, but I’ll keep them to myself.

Can anyone tell me the last time that a club transferred to another league and had instant premiership success? Have the current list signed on for more than one year? Because if the Kangas don’t manage to win the Div 2 flag in 2019 with the internal confidence that it will be a cakewalk, negatives will sneak in and sneak in quickly.

If the club is successful in year one and manage to win the flag, I can see a long term situation like Craigieburn and Jacana, it took both sides a long time to find their feet in the EDFL. Some would say that neither quite have yet, and they moved what, 17 years ago?

Add to that, the separation between the seniors and the juniors, this can cause some issues in the future.

I’m passionate about the league, I love the clubs and the people involved, so I will always defend it and the people involved in it, that might be my shortfall when it comes to the whining about the league, as I don’t think some take ownership of their own decisions.

Anyway, tangent and all that.

As an ex Captain Coach of the club in its second year of infancy (1988) & then beating them in a Grand Final, only to lose against them in a Grand Final the next year, I have mixed emotions, I wish them all the very best for the future BUT in my personal view, I think its a mistake. I am not on the inside, so I don't know the reasons behind the move. I believe the RDFL is one of the great leagues in todays footy, I read so much negative sh*t on here, mainly from persons who don't fully understand how leagues or clubs are run. Believe me this league has its faults just like any other. Most clubs are struggling due to bad governance, it's not always the fault of the league. Wallan left for the Northern League & struggled badly, I coached against them beating them by 30 goals in 2007, it was really sad to see my old club on it's knees! When approached by Wallan to re-join them as coach, I stated that I would do the job, if they returned to the RDFL, so the rest is history. I'm pretty sure they're doing ok now & glad to be a part of the RDFL. what's Kilmore done since departing to the Northern League? Probably time for them to return. Its very difficult to plan ahead when you have more than one division, lets say your lucky enough to win a B grade Flag, you then get promoted to A grade & you get smashed the next year, if you haven't got a couple of hundred Grand to throw at players. The Western Rams aint going anywhere & I hope Broadford stay put & remain patient for their kids to mature, a little like Romsey have been doing for the last couple of years. The RDFL have produced plenty of AFL players & the clubs need to concentrate on one pointers & recruit patiently. I see ex Coburg vice captain Nathan Blair has knocked back huge $$$ to play back at his junior club, that says something about the character of the man, something about the club & something about the league. If the people at Melton South want to leave the Ballarat league, they should look no further than where they originated the RDFL.

Well said...a truly informed view from someone who has seen just about everything in footy in the region.

People who knock the RDFL don't know what a great comp you have...and that is co,img from an outsider

Kilmore have won 15 matches in the last two seasons and finished 5th in 2017. Probably the same amount of games they won in their last 8 years of the RDFL. Yes, Div 3 of the NFNL is not the same standard as the RDFL, but it gives hope and a better chance for clubs to win a flag and attract interest back to the club. Also, the NFNL don't penalise clubs for not fielding netball teams. The Kilmore girls got flogged by some opposition teams that had well paid netballers in their last few years in the RDFL. Now the local Kilmore girls can play in a graded competition and be competitive without the hardworking volunteers working harder to find funds to pay netballers as well. Kilmore is very happy with the NFNL and have no intention of going anywhere.

Have nothing but respect for this gentlemen but Sunbury position compared to other struggling clubs can’t be compared also Kilmore as a club winning games must feel better about them selfs and not spending up big to compete, I think the biggest issue when it comes to the RDFL is the Goldfields they should have stayed as a stand alone comp

Have nothing but respect for this gentlemen but Sunbury position compared to other struggling clubs can’t be compared also Kilmore as a club winning games must feel better about them selfs and not spending up big to compete, I think the biggest issue when it comes to the RDFL is the Goldfields they should have stayed as a stand alone comp
Bang and there we have it the blame game. Dave do you really think AFL Vic were ever going to let the RDFNL be stand alone after its governance issues???

Stand alone competitions are a thing of the past, AFL Victoria has made it very clear that hub models are the future of grassroots football. I agree completely with Halffull, this is just an attempt to point the finger at Goldfields again with no substance. The administration makes mistakes, but go through every competition and you will find examples of people pointing the finger at the administration, the RDFNL are not on their own there, that will never change.

Kilmore have won 15 matches in the last two seasons and finished 5th in 2017. Probably the same amount of games they won in their last 8 years of the RDFL. Yes, Div 3 of the NFNL is not the same standard as the RDFL, but it gives hope and a better chance for clubs to win a flag and attract interest back to the club. Also, the NFNL don't penalise clubs for not fielding netball teams. The Kilmore girls got flogged by some opposition teams that had well paid netballers in their last few years in the RDFL. Now the local Kilmore girls can play in a graded competition and be competitive without the hardworking volunteers working harder to find funds to pay netballers as well. Kilmore is very happy with the NFNL and have no intention of going anywhere.
Good on the netballers.

Add to that, the separation between the seniors and the juniors, this can cause some issues in the future.
Juniors and seniors are separate clubs but I believe the juniors parents have been briefed that they are also looking into it. Even if the juniors stay with RDFL, the Lions have juniors and seniors in different leagues and it seems to be working well for them.

Juniors and seniors are separate clubs but I believe the juniors parents have been briefed that they are also looking into it. Even if the juniors stay with RDFL, the Lions have juniors and seniors in different leagues and it seems to be working well for them.

It doesn't though, Sunbury have notoriously struggled for numbers in their Reserves and in recent years in the top ages of juniors, despite a strong junior program. The Lions recruit well for their senior side, but generally lose players who are not going to be regular senior players to clubs playing in the local competitions.

Bang and there we have it the blame game. Dave do you really think AFL Vic were ever going to let the RDFNL be stand alone after its governance issues???

Going back a bit now Halffull, and I'm assuming some (not all) of our more vocal on here aren't fully aware of that bit of the puzzle and how it even came about that the administrative side of the RDFL "HAD" to be outsourced even before the Hub thing came into vogue.

What took place back in roughly 2008-09 could've been dealt with swiftly had challengers to Board Positions been sourced and implemented.
The ball got dropped massively, aparently some things went missing - and had it been brought light I'm of the belief those in positions of power would've been "struck" off.
This would have then meant not being allowed to perform or fill certain positions on any board for a lengthy period of time.

(Please correct me if I'm wrong to the above few sentences)

Rightly or wrongly, that was the line in the sand moment missed and to this day still can't believe it was simply ignored ... look at the NFL now, they themselves had history of some misdoings, it got dealt with and have moved on and seem to be trying to build their league.

As IMS says, HUBS are the go now, and they will work if the relationships are open and transparent. Let's not forget the Hubs are handed down their charters from a higher authority which is something I've only just realised after admittedly being a real Goldfields "basher". That's not saying we all cant get better, and the RDFL be better for it - but there are cicrumstances even out of Goldfields control and/or jurisdiction at times.

Maybe we need guys like IMS, Halffull, PeteO, - passionate RDFL servants voted into positions of guidance and confidence who are current and hail from the Front Line. Could the the breath of fresh air your local footy landscape could thrive under.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back