A Section Premier Section 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

Too early to call hangover?
Probably. I think you have to consider the fact that four of Collegians best and most experienced players last season are not playing this year in Mirra, Sofronidis, Ferguson and Michie. All except Sof have retired and Sof is at Collingwood VFL, but is currently out injured.

We have seen a few young blokes come in this season already. Jasper Davy is going to be a long term player for the club down back, as is Ben Van Twest. Ben Hill is one who debuted on the weekend and will provide a spark up forward.

We are probably lacking another big bodied midfielder now that Michie is not playing and missing the guidance of Mirra down forward, but the 18 game season is now two games old, there's plenty of time to make up for this slower than anticipated start.

Bring on Old Scotch this weekend at the Trott, who we have a strong record against. They have had a good start to the season and the lions would love nothing more than a scalp like Old Scotch.

I will take all the away teams this week but with a big watch in the Bernie’s at The Snakepit 🐍 as the upset
Great call mate. Totally outplayed SKOBAFL, Tom Sullivan is one big unit for a 24yo. Old Melbournians look to be in some sort of trouble, played 1/2 game of footy again today.

Very happy with the performance on Saturday from the lions at the Trott.

I am very glad we kept our winning streak against Old Scotch going and to do so in trying circumstances will hold our young group in great stead.

We had a lot of players out, and it was a genuine backs against the wall victory. Luke McLeary and Scott Beilby were rock solid across half back and basically repelled everything scotch threw at us, especially in the second half. Nathan Boucher back in for his first game for Collegians since 2021 showed late on why he’s been a VFL mainstay for a while, and the young boys in Hill, Van Twest, Walker and Davy are playing with composure and providing a real spark to the side. Even Will Dean (brother of Collingwood’s Charlie) had a crack in the ruck in his first senior game too.

Ben Darrou also played his first game senior game for Collegians since sustaining what become a life threatening injury in 2021 as well. It was great to see him back out there running amok in the forward line with veterans in Hibbins, Ong and Pocknee.

Great for Jordie McKenzie to get his first win as senior coach as well.

Now it is back to our bogey ground Toorak Park to take on Old Xavs with some momentum.

Very happy with the performance on Saturday from the lions at the Trott.

I am very glad we kept our winning streak against Old Scotch going and to do so in trying circumstances will hold our young group in great stead.

We had a lot of players out, and it was a genuine backs against the wall victory. Luke McLeary and Scott Beilby were rock solid across half back and basically repelled everything scotch threw at us, especially in the second half. Nathan Boucher back in for his first game for Collegians since 2021 showed late on why he’s been a VFL mainstay for a while, and the young boys in Hill, Van Twest, Walker and Davy are playing with composure and providing a real spark to the side. Even Will Dean (brother of Collingwood’s Charlie) had a crack in the ruck in his first senior game too.

Ben Darrou also played his first game senior game for Collegians since sustaining what become a life threatening injury in 2021 as well. It was great to see him back out there running amok in the forward line with veterans in Hibbins, Ong and Pocknee.

Great for Jordie McKenzie to get his first win as senior coach as well.

Now it is back to our bogey ground Toorak Park to take on Old Xavs with some momentum.
🤣

Always tough going at Toorak Park, but I'm quite proud of how the boys, especially our younger blokes played today.

Scott Beilby is a gun half back and I'd say would be leading the Collegians best and fairest at the moment and for Old Xavs, I can see why they went so hard after Sam Fisher, he will be one of the competition's best midfielders this season and high up in the Woodrow count come the end of the year.

Ben Darrou was great again up forward with four goals and caused a few headaches for the OX men.

The lions are now even on the ledger and look to be building nicely into the season.

Always tough going at Toorak Park, but I'm quite proud of how the boys, especially our younger blokes played today.

Scott Beilby is a gun half back and I'd say would be leading the Collegians best and fairest at the moment and for Old Xavs, I can see why they went so hard after Sam Fisher, he will be one of the competition's best midfielders this season and high up in the Woodrow count come the end of the year.

Ben Darrou was great again up forward with four goals and caused a few headaches for the OX men.

The lions are now even on the ledger and look to be building nicely into the season.
Beilby should be having another crack at state league level.
Why didn't he last over in SA?

Some weird s**t going on in the VAFA at the moment, Beilby a Scotch boy playing at Collegians, Stewart kicks a monster last minute goal and rips the heart out of his old boys team at Camberwell Oval.

SKOB playing with a heap blokes who I don’t recognise to start the season beat OX, Collegians and OM’s, who recruited every man and his dog over summer. Every time I looked at Instagram they were trumpeting another signing from interstate!

Then they had their coach on the VAFA podcast pumping up what seemed like every single player on their list down to their under 19’s as being the second coming of Nick Daicos.

Not to mention OX and their ‘questionable’ model of recruiting 39 year old local footballers, the Palmer farce, and they get beaten by a severely undermanned Collegians.

Blacks doing everything right, the Snowdogs having a real crack, OB cruising until the mid year exodus, whilst Uni Reds haven’t been disgraced in any games, despite being winless.

Bring on round 5 and no more injuries for anyone please!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Some weird s**t going on in the VAFA at the moment, Beilby a Scotch boy playing at Collegians, Stewart kicks a monster last minute goal and rips the heart out of his old boys team at Camberwell Oval.

SKOB playing with a heap blokes who I don’t recognise to start the season beat OX, Collegians and OM’s, who recruited every man and his dog over summer. Every time I looked at Instagram they were trumpeting another signing from interstate!

Then they had their coach on the VAFA podcast pumping up what seemed like every single player on their list down to their under 19’s as being the second coming of Nick Daicos.

Not to mention OX and their ‘questionable’ model of recruiting 39 year old local footballers, the Palmer farce, and they get beaten by a severely undermanned Collegians.

Blacks doing everything right, the Snowdogs having a real crack, OB cruising until the mid year exodus, whilst Uni Reds haven’t been disgraced in any games, despite being winless.

Whats going on at Xavs, how could they capitulate like that last sat? Banging on about how good their recruits are and
put on a show like that...at home!!! Colls just had a go with what they had and did the job..

Beilby had a knee injury soon after going to SA, then the coach who had brought him over got sacked, and he wasn't enjoying Adelaide, hence why he came back to Melbourne.

Beilby loves Collegians and he is mates with many of the Collegians boys like Thomas, Fleming, Woodfull and Mayhood through their time at Oakleigh Chargers, hence why he came to our club.

Stewart has mates at Uni Blues and I'd say he wouldn't have played with any of the boys at Old Scotch other than Jelbart or Clarke, so it is understandable why there was a pull to go to Blues to play with mates rather than at Old Scotch.

I concur with Mr Platinum that Old Xavs seem to be going down a peculiar path at best in playing a 39 year old, but I'd say with such a young side that this experience is probably needed out on the field. It will be interesting to see if we get to watch Dan Hannerbery play again anytime soon as well.

Very open section as someone posted recently, with both Fitzroy and OM competitive and OB the only standout at this stage. I expect OM to gel and pick up a few wins so finals to relegation could be a very small number of wins this year. Lets hope it pans out that way as it makes for some exciting football

Remove this Banner Ad

Back