Review Positives and Negatives vs Collingwood

Remove this Banner Ad

I was talking to my missus about that the other day, i thought it was the exact same with me until i remembered the very first game vs Sydney in 2018.

Reckon i've seen 12+ games at Optus and apart from the Sydney game, we've won every single one 😍

you lot are lucky last year i saw all three losses against port collingwood and hawthorn.

An 11 goal victory in a reduced-length match against a premiership rival - it doesn't get much better than that.

Today was an example of the potential of this team and why I have been so bullish in regard to the structural changes that have been implemented after the match against Port Adelaide.

This is what happens when an opposition tries to play possession football against an aggressive press that also has clearance domination.

The signs have been there building up to this - the pressure, stoppage execution, ball movement, defensive coverage and turnover conversion have all been excellent recently - all that has been lacking is the finish to convert that superiority into points on the scoreboard.

The prior three matches have been up against teams with an overwhelmingly defensive approach, characterised by mass-flooding and congestion of the Eagles' attack. This was the first test of the revised tactical setup against a team that was willing to take the game on and it passed flawlessly.

The long anticipated stoppage combination of Yeo, Shuey and Kelly started to look as good in practice as it does on paper. Grundy was completely nullified and the ball simply came in too quickly for Collingwood's defensive zone to operate effectively, leaving the Eagles' forwards with one-on-ones, which they capitalised upon mercilessly.

The ease of this victory is downright scary good. No other performance by any club this year comes near to this level of performance and execution.

This is the benchmark.

Love actually learning something on this board, cheers Dylan82!

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

He wasnt that good last week either having 7 kicks and gaining 107 meters.

His first option is to look for a short no risk kick.
He’s had a shot, but I’m sure we’d get similar output from O’Neill or Brayshaw (or even Foley/Reid if we wanted a flanker). We played with one less player today, imagine if we had 22

It's almost always height with these guys.
Recruiters often are put off by key forwards shorter than 193cm, no matter how well they perform at U18s.
This occurred with Darling as well (although there were other "warning signs" which thankfully have never eventuated).

Do you mean him being a bit "two tents"?

Biggest positive for me was that we were handballing amongst the congestion in stoppages rather than the first player to take possession just bombing it around the corner.

I really hope that isn’t just a one-off intensity thing and that we actually continue doing it, because it makes the forwardline so much more potent if we allow them to lead and not have to stand under high balls

I can't be stuffed trying to find kicking efficiency, but I wouldn't be surprised if that was the best Kelly has ever been. Best I've seen him look anyway.

Overall 90%DE was sublime considering he normally operates at 65%.
Kelly was handy against Fremantle last week, notching 18 touches, but that performance paled in comparison to the carnage he caused in this one. From his 30 touches, he hit the target 27 times. He had three direct goal assists amongst his ten score involvements and six clearances indicated that his connection with Nic Naitanui is right about where it should be at the moment.
:cool:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Negative:
The price of home & clash guernseys has been reduced by 40%. This deal lasts until Tuesday afternoon.

He’s had a shot, but I’m sure we’d get similar output from O’Neill or Brayshaw (or even Foley/Reid if we wanted a flanker). We played with one less player today, imagine if we had 22
I struggle to see the long term potential in him. He's a mid or bust but even if a midfield position or two opened up, I'd rather see the likes of Ah chee or O'neil in there.

Eagles have beaten maggies at the MCG over the past few years. Its got nothing to do with the Optus oval which is similar to the MCG. Its game style which if the eagles executed it well will always beat the maggies.
Freo fluked a win vs Collingwood at the MCG last year too. Remarkably freo players got out of there alive.

Freo fluked a win vs Collingwood at the MCG last year too. Remarkably freo players got out of there alive.
Honestly struggling to find what point you're trying to achieve here?

Can't be premiership ones though as your club is allergic to those.

but your team has won as many Wooden spoons as my mob lol.

And now Hopefully our mates at West lakes in SA can join us. lol
Comparing histories won't help ya mate.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back