Club History Port Adelaide FC est. 1870 in Black and White

Remove this Banner Ad

Just a question that someone there might know. (I contacted the club with no response).
I am researching my family tree and just found that my Great Grandfather William Henry HOARE played for port in 1901 (including in the losing grand final). We have no photos of him. Do you know of any photos of this team or anyone who might be able to help? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanking you

Just a question that someone there might know. (I contacted the club with no response).
I am researching my family tree and just found that my Great Grandfather William Henry HOARE played for port in 1901 (including in the losing grand final). We have no photos of him. Do you know of any photos of this team or anyone who might be able to help? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanking you

I will forward your question to the club and see if they can help you.

Ford Fairlane is there a history thread? Did a titles search but couldnt find one. If so you are welcome to move this.

Time Machine: Port Adelaide's first trip west
Port Adelaide takes on Fremantle in Perth on Sunday, but while 2015 marks the nineteenth season of the club travelling west in the AFL, it was actually the first interstate team from any of the states to visit WA.

Let’s jump in the time machine and head back to 1910, when football in Australia was very, very different to the game we know today…

Port Adelaide had a strong 1910 season, having topped the local SA Football League with a premiership win over Sturt by 19 points, and then vanquishing the other Magpies – Collingwood – to win its third Championship of Australia.

However, little is known about the club’s tour of Western Australia during the SAFL’s month-long sabbatical in July of that year.

Following its win over North Adelaide at Alberton Oval, the Magpies would jump in cabs and head to the Port to depart by the steamboat Karoola to Western Australia for their first tour of SA’s western neighbour.

A travelling party of 41 Port men, resplendent in black-and-white blazers and boater hats bearing the club’s official monogram, made the voyage to Albany and then Fremantle where they were met by representatives of the Western Australian Football League and the East Fremantle Football Club.
While Port would eventually take on East Fremantle, the Magpies’ first appointment was with the combined Goldfields team in Kalgoorlie.

Of Port Adelaide’s side, compliments were also forthcoming.

“They [Port Adelaide] are a remarkable fine set of sturdy, well-trained athletes, who apparently keep themselves in perfect condition and who play the game as it should be played. The outstanding features of the Port’s play were high marking, long kicking, judicious hand ball, terrific pace, and straight up the centre of the field whenever opportunity offered.”....
Time Machine: Port Adelaide's first trip west

2-1_620_620X370.jpg

Port Adelaide's 1910 team that toured the WA goldfields

3.jpg

Port Adelaide's team that played East Fremantle and the WAFL in Perth [pic: The Westralian]

Last edited:
Wow, that was emotional. I remember being down in the South East on holidays that week, no papers, TV or radio and came back to the terrible news.

I was at the game and it was a phenomenal experience. We were getting drubbed and at half time no one could really feel anything about the game. Then came the second half revival where we staunched the haemorrhaging in the third quarter and stormed to an amazing last quarter win and the entire collective psyche of Port Adelaide erupted.

I remember the drive back to Alberton with my mate piloting (I use that word advisedly) his HQ Monaro through the traffic choked back streets of Norwood, mostly on the wrong side of the road at a speed I dared not verify.

Scores of that game

Port 2.3 3.4 4.9 9.11 (65)
Nwd 3.6 6.9 6.11 7.15 (57)

As Tim said we'd lost 10/11 to Norwood over the previous few years and this was the start of a similar scoreline in our favour in the next few years, which we converted to a hat-trick of premierships. If we could beat Norwood at Norwood we could beat anyone anywhere.

That game was the beginning of the Fiacchi-Delaney partnership and Stephen returned to the side later as a midfielder where he served with so much distinction for so many years.

The next week North beat us by 6 goals at Alberton so we had an enormous mental let down from the emotion of the Norwood game.

I am fairly certain that is Samson `Shine ' Hoskin sitting on the left, in the `best 1914 ' pic, ( it is clearer than the 1910 pic. )

I have seen the programmes from the goldfields game, and the game against East Freo.
I will ask the lady who showed them to me about 10 years ago if I can photocopy them and put them up on the site.

Last edited:
Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Let me just provide a better version of that last one...
View attachment 140087

Closely look at the scoreboard- it says "Norwoods".

The scoreboard was built around 1910 so I'm interested that the pluralisation continued. In the 19th centuries the teams didn't have nicknames as much it was more putting an 's' after a clubs name so the big game between "Ports" vs the "Norwoods" (Glenelg didn't exist at this time :D )

The other good thing about this scoreboard photo is that Port are in front!

My Nanna still calls them Ports, Sturts, etc

She's 94

My Grandma and her siblings (all grew up down the Port) always called us "the Port Adelaides", this habit has rubbed off on me as I often yell "c'arn the Port Adelaides!" at the Footy or sometimes refer to the club as "the Port Adelaides". Often get quizzical looks.

My Grandma and her siblings (all grew up down the Port) always called us "the Port Adelaides", this habit has rubbed off on me as I often yell "c'arn the Port Adelaides!" at the Footy or sometimes refer to the club as "the Port Adelaides". Often get quizzical looks.

I've heard her say that one too!

"We are Port Adelaides."

Remove this Banner Ad

Back