Player Watch Pick #5 (2018) - Connor Rozee (AFL Captain)

Remove this Banner Ad

1 bad game out of 6 so far, when majority of our team were collectively sh*t. Lets cool the jets and wait and see.
Two out of six, with those two being our losses.

And it wasn't just bad, he wasn't just beaten, he played scared and dropped his head. That's the problem. Can't have that from your captain.

Two out of six, with those two being our losses.

And it wasn't just bad, he wasn't just beaten, he played scared and dropped his head. That's the problem. Can't have that from your captain.
News to me that he was bad against Melbourne. A goal and 26 touches.

You realise even the best captains have bad games. I imagine you consider Bont one of the best captains. He had a stinker just 2 weeks ago when they were thrashed by Essendon.

None or our other captain options were good today.

I’ve been looking at him for a while. I’m not a fan of how he interviews. His SANFL record as a coach shows a premiership from 5th and not much else. He is supposed to have the keys to a very talented and multi pronged midfield, that has failed to fire in two showdowns, two finals and an ever growing list of games against top opposition sides.

We joke that he is the one coaching when we win. I suspect he’s also heavily involved when we lose.

Step one of a succession plan is that the predecessor has had actual success.

You just feel it's going to fail. Especially with more time he spends under Ken.

It's undeniable that his performance level has been absolutely top shelf for the past two years. It's also undeniable that there is a sharp drop off in performance and a noticeable softness to his game against big teams and in finals - and it goes without saying that this is not what you want from your captain.

Of course he can change the above reputation but until he does it's totally justified to call him out on it.

It's undeniable that his performance level has been absolutely top shelf for the past two years. It's also undeniable that there is a sharp drop off in performance and a noticeable softness to his game against big teams and in finals - and it goes without saying that this is not what you want from your captain.

Of course he can change the above reputation but until he does it's totally justified to call him out on it.

Yeah, it is definitely the way of Rozee at the moment.

He is still young and generally he plays more outside than in but he needs to stand up in a big game.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Some of these post will come back and bite a few on the arse in the very near future...
That's not the criticism you think it is. It's demonstrably true that the gap between Rozee v bottom 10 and Rozee v top 4 is vast. Consider last year's finals for another data point.
I don't know if it's a trying too hard thing or what but he needs to shorten that gap. The detractors posting today would still be correct. If he fixes it in future great
Unfortunately along with the adulation after the Essendon master class and the pay packet come the criticism when you turn in a stinker when it really counts.

... its one game
Yeah but it's not. It's almost every top 4 / finals/ showdown game.
Obviously Rozee is not THE problem. But he's the captain and his personal form tracks closely with the rest of Ken's warriors. No matter who we make captain or who we recruit, it's year upon year of groundhog day.

I love watching Rozee but I don't think he's the leader who puts up the calendar at the start of the year, circles the game against the reigning premiers at the G and says can't wait to show everyone who we are. Instead he happens to find himself captain of a club which apparently always planned to rest their main key forward for the game

Ken says big games are scary. I think Rozee agrees.

Rozee is a good player but not a full-time centre square mid. He is our 5th best clearance winner over 2023-24 despite getting the most midfield time. He has 0 centre clearances against the Pies in the last 3 matchups.

A good coach would probably have him run thru the middle off half forward to free him up

Is the big game thing an overreaction? Yes he had a bad SF but he was good against Brisbane in week 1 of finals. Are there any other examples of finals he hasnt played well in?

Is the big game thing an overreaction? Yes he had a bad SF but he was good against Brisbane in week 1 of finals. Are there any other examples of finals he hasnt played well in?
i think finals and big games against top sides go hand in hand

Yeah but it's not. It's almost every top 4 / finals/ showdown game.
Obviously Rozee is not THE problem. But he's the captain and his personal form tracks closely with the rest of Ken's warriors. No matter who we make captain or who we recruit, it's year upon year of groundhog day.

I love watching Rozee but I don't think he's the leader who puts up the calendar at the start of the year, circles the game against the reigning premiers at the G and says can't wait to show everyone who we are. Instead he happens to find himself captain of a club which apparently always planned to rest their main key forward for the game

Ken says big games are scary. I think Rozee agrees.
He has a showdown medal and has been overall great in them. The recency bias of 2 poor games is real here.

He has a showdown medal and has been overall great in them. The recency bias of 2 poor games is real here.
he won the showdown medal when we thumped the crows, we won that game by 10 goals

Remove this Banner Ad

Back