Player Watch Pick #5 (2018) - Connor Rozee (AFL Captain)

Remove this Banner Ad

It's outrageous what Rozee does with his jinking runs and blistering pace, then I look at Butters, then Horne-Francis and wonder if we need to redefine outrageous, because they all have superfreak skills.

Wowee that sounds like a trio on their way to Logie territory.

If Sonia Krueger can win one ... ;)

OT but Leigh Matthews loves Connor Rozee, thinks he's the best mid in the comp now and we have the best group. Thought Connor's first half of footy was as good as he's seen.

Not sure if I'm exaggerating here, but I think Connor Rozee is a better captain than Tom Jonas........

Best captain we’ve had since tredders
With Cassisi and Jonas making up two-thirds of that list (I exclude Wines as Co-captain) it's a low bar. Looks like he can match Boak's 2013/2014 in-season Captain efforts, in leading the side.

The key will be, is he going to be the first Captain we've had since Tredrea who steps up in finals? Whilst Tredrea leading us to the flag in 2004 obviously stands out, for me the clear display of the attitude we've lacked from Captains since, is his 2003 final against Essendon. Shouldn't have even been playing, having flu, throwing up that day, yet (again) took the team on his shoulders and wouldn't accept anything less than a win. The true test will be finals for Connor. Can he ignore the loser talk of Hinkley now he's Captain, clearly not accept finals are scary and if required, drag the team into the game with him?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Continues to duck around and twist and turn around opponents and not get caught, well they try and tackle him, but can't hang on.

Only time I have seen him done for holding the ball when he has been running around a bend, either on TV or live, was when I went to the Gabba for the QF last year and it was in the middle of Gabba, when we were kicking to right of TV screen.

I would always put him on a bend leg in a 4 x 100m relay race.

Leigh Matthews Sunday night says he has the acceleration equivalent to Chris Juddd. I reckon Judd accelerated hard on a straight line to break free of opponents, with a decent side step, whereas Connor's hard acceleration to get around an opponent tends to be on the bend.

Last edited:
If we had 2 Connor Rozee's they could be joint captains.

I am going to preface this with saying that Rozee is up there with my favourite players.

If he could improve his game, I reckon it would be sticking a few more tackles.

Continues to duck around and twist and turn around opponents and not get caught, well they try and tackle him, but can't hang on.

Only time I have seen him done for holding the ball when he has been running around a bend, either on TV or live, was when I went to the Gabba for the QF last year and it was in the middle of Gabba, when we were kicking to right of TV screen.

I would always put him on a bend leg in a 4 x 100m relay race.

Leigh Matthews Sunday night says he has the acceleration equivalent to Chris Juddd. I reckon Judd accelerated hard on a straight line to break free of opponents, where as Connor's hard acceleration to get around an opponent tends to be on the bend.
Yeah saw that Harley Reid already leads the league in broken tackles - by a considerable margin - but the difference with Rozee is the oppo can't lay a finger on him to begin with.

If there were somehow a stat of 'tackles avoided' he'd be right up there in 2014 Robbie Gray territory in setting a league record.

and his field kicking
I don't have a problem with his field kicking. He's more of a back of the pack run into the corridor and kick to one on one contests or take a ping. He doesn't usually hit 20 metre dinks into the f50 but I reckon he could. It is just that long kick is so effective. I think Rozee should be a bit selfish with his kicking especially for goals.

rozee dodgin' tackles like

the-matrix-neo-keanu-bullet-time.jpg

Yeah saw that Harley Reid already leads the league in broken tackles - by a considerable margin - but the difference with Rozee is the oppo can't lay a finger on him to begin with.

If there were somehow a stat of 'tackles avoided' he'd be right up there in 2014 Robbie Gray territory in setting a league record.

These are the worst. I wasn't a great footballer but I considered a decent hardery for longery type, good in the contest, good defensively, a pretty good tackle and bump. I played with a guy who was just... Impossible to lay a finger on. He wasn't big, he wasn't small, he wasn't fast, but he just knew how to pivot his movements, bend around, all whilst keeping his eyes upfield and never losing focus of the game and waving away tacklers like flies.

Anyway I think he ended up playing a dozen games for Melbourne or so.

Sent from my Nokia 7.2 using Tapatalk

Hows the leadership stock when this fraud is your captain?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back