AFLW North Melbourne Football Club AFLW - Season 2023 [GF: North vs Brisbane @ Ikon Park, Sunday 3 December @ 2:30pm - NM 27 - 44 BL]

Remove this Banner Ad

I dunno about third best, when it mattered in the first half Jas was our best player. No wonder the others had space when Jas had a couple hanging off her at every stoppage.
Agree - others had the ball more but she used it so well, over and over. Defenders are marking everything and she comes up with the kicks that hit our forwards.

Sarah Wright has shown stunning improvement this year. She was shithouse last year. I had a sick feeling every time she went near the ball. But this season, she hasn’t put a foot wrong.👍🏼

Our gameplan obviously needs work; that we are this dominant this often, and never put teams away shows weaknesses. Crocker needs to be held accountable for continuing to play Garvalas and Craven - 0 touches, 0 impact to half time is unacceptable. Garvalas at 27 shouldnt play for the NMFC again, we can't afford to not be putting games into the youth.
Granville should be in for gavalas. Faster and more dangerous around goals

Bowey should be in for craven while we are missing bresnehan. Or keen to debut Niamh Martin now to inject her pace

Our small forwards need to lift other than oloughlin
Gavalas, eddy and tripodi need to do more.

Also the issue with our small forwards is that they are small forwards.

You want to rest Riddell and Bruton up forward? Forget it, who replaces them and can still make an impact? None of them.

Sarah Wright has shown stunning improvement this year. She was shithouse last year. I had a sick feeling every time she went near the ball. But this season, she hasn’t put a foot wrong.👍🏼
I disagree that Wrighty was shithouse last year. Maybe three years ago she was shaky as the last defender but for the past two seasons, she has proven to be super reliable. So much so that the regular poster on here who was calling for her to be dropped every week pretty much put that trope to bed early last season.

Our small forwards need to lift other than oloughlin
Gavalas, eddy and tripodi need to do more.
Sometimes the primary job of small forwards isn't measured on the stats sheet. Or not against their own names anyway. Sometimes, all they need to do is drag their opponents out of the backline to open up the forward 50 for the talls to go to work one-on-one. So how do you think that part of the plan is working out?

I disagree that Wrighty was shithouse last year. Maybe three years ago she was shaky as the last defender but for the past two seasons, she has proven to be super reliable. So much so that the regular poster on here who was calling for her to be dropped every week pretty much put that trope to bed early last season.
No she was shit there is just no one to replace her

So it’s not worth raising

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I thought we were much better in the second half, outscoring Freo 6.1 to 2 behinds, but we were still a little wasteful in the forward 50, too many entries missing their target, either falling short or being intercepted. Our disposals are still a little sloppy, we can't afford to miss targets as often as we do when we go up against the Dees and Crows or we will be on the other end of a thrashing like today. We still look a little slow when the opposition spread from a contest, we definitely need to bring some more speed into the team.

I think the game may have passed Gavalas, she looks slow, panics with ball in hand and isn't that strong defensively. If there is nothing wrong with Granville, I'd like to see her given an opportunity.

Craven is only 19 and still learning the game, but I think she needs to spend time in the VFL to develop her game, she looks a little lost out there.

I thought that was O'Shea's best game as well, she was very good in defense, but it was her attacking runs through the middle that I enjoyed the most, and she seemed to get 5-10 extra metres on her kicks, landing them in dangerous territory around 30-40 metres from goal, something we have missed since the departure of Gilroy.

Last edited:
GWS didn't score a goal against us last week, and got 2 of their players in the team of the week (to our ONE!)...so I assume because Freo kicked 3 goals today, at least 10 of their team will make it this week?
Lol. I missed this. Classic.

Make no mistake they've gone out of their way to recreate in the women's league the same entrenched attitudes to North Melbourne success. From the only team required to have a second state as its home ground and jumper to constant nonsense like this. Listening to commentators spend the whole game talking up opposition whilst we steamroll them is just the cost of doing business for North in these leagues.

Looks like Carlton is being gifted an armchair ride into the finals again. I’d say there is a massive gulf between the top teams and the rest except Brisbane has gone down twice now to teams they should beat easily, so there’s always a risk. Terrible season for tipping generally so far.

Lol. I missed this. Classic.

Make no mistake they've gone out of their way to recreate in the women's league the same entrenched attitudes to North Melbourne success. From the only team required to have a second state as its home ground and jumper to constant nonsense like this. Listening to commentators spend the whole game talking up opposition whilst we steamroll them is just the cost of doing business for North in these leagues.
I thought in this case that’s more about the local commentators and the usual wish to make it sound closer than it is - North got plenty of admiration too.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back