Opinion Matthew Nicks: Adelaide's Coach (Part 2) - Full Support of the Board

Is Matthew Nicks the right coach for Adelaide?

• Firmly yes (I love what I'm seeing)

• Leaning yes

• Can't decide either way

• Leaning no (but don't sack him yet)

• Firmly no (he should be sacked)

Results are only viewable after voting.

Remove this Banner Ad

This could be the most important game of Nicks' coaching career. Lose this and he's gone, maybe not this week, but definitely this year.

This could be the most important game of Nicks' coaching career. Lose this and he's gone, maybe not this week, but definitely this year.
We very easily lose this one. We can’t play in Tassie. Soft club in so many ways.

He never coached us to a winning prelim. He created a structure and system that worked against most clubs. But finals are a different story and you can’t get past multiple better 22s and coaches that know EXACTLY what we’d bring for all 120 minutes.

Tactically inept when under pressure.

You have to wonder if McHenry's regular fishing gig on Channel 7 news has anything to do with it? They aren't exactly gonna be happy if their weekly "star" from the Adelaide Crows can't get a game. o_O :rolleyes:
I'm sure it would be. It's sickening how nepotistic this club and the Adelaide media is. They all love the smell of each other's farts big time. They employ and recruit on the basis of where you hail from. Not one of those board members would have an inkling of what is required to set up a club for a genuine tilt at a flag and they have drafted too few players with the testicular fortitude to get us there anyway. But hey Ned's great at fishing and he's a ripping young Lad.

We very easily lose this one. We can’t play in Tassie. Soft club in so many ways.

We have only played three games against the Roos in Hobart for one win (2022) and two losses (2014 and 2017). North were finalists in 2014.

Now even against the Hawks at York Park it is 2 wins (2005 and 2023) and 4 losses (2021, 2010, 2008 and 2001). Hawks were finalists in 2001, 2008 and 2010.

If we are actually serious given the form lines of both teams this year (we have been competitive whilst North haven’t been), we should win comfortably on Saturday.

We have only played three games against the Roos in Hobart for one win (2022) and two losses (2014 and 2017). North were finalists in 2014.

Now even against the Hawks at York Park it is 2 wins (2005 and 2023) and 4 losses (2021, 2010, 2008 and 2001). Hawks were finalists in 2001, 2008 and 2010.

If we are actually serious given the form lines of both teams this year (we have been competitive whilst North haven’t been), we should win comfortably on Saturday.
We should win easily but it’s a 50-50 in my cynical brain.

Get Maguire to run the club and pay up for Chris Scott.. John Longmire would be another good option but i cant see him ever leaving sydney.
This is the most insane football take I've ever seen

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don't think I've ever wated a coach sacked this badly before, the ongoing disgusting selection policy and arrogance from the man makes me feel sick.

The guy has had one of the easiest job in football for four years with no expectations. As soon as he has been tested he has been a failure.

Too much talk about process, values, what do we want to be known for

Not enough talk about performance.

Guys like McHenry keep their spot because of their personality, not their attributes.
Values and work ethic are important in life and important in football. But more important is output. I'm sick of this club giving out gold passes based on being a good bloke, team man or trying hard. That doesn't cut it in a cut-throat professional league where we compete with 17 (soon 18) other clubs.

Last edited:
He took a team top top of the ladder and two consecutive prelims, that guy could coach. Did it with an average forward line too. Imagine if he had our 2017 forward line?

That team entered 2003 as the flag favourites with the bookies

Let’s not pretend he didn’t have top tier cattle.

His failings with that cattle were mostly down to his tactics and personality

Maybe that's the problem. He's over focusing on the "process" and not on what the process actually leads too.

Which is why he's playing favourites and blaming players. He's so convinced that if the process is followed the outcomes will then come, but if it doesn't it's because they didn't do the process right, not that it's one that won't work.
Very Pyke-esque.

That team entered 2003 as the flag favourites with the bookies

Let’s not pretend he didn’t have top tier cattle.

His failings with that cattle were mostly down to his tactics and personality

You'll hear players from Norwood at that time say the exact same thing.

Reckon the exact opposite might be true

Depends on how you define the trough. Not sure too many are there out of service to the entity
I’ve worked with a lot of boards in my time, in my experience very few were even remotely financially beneficial other than networking and the occasional long lunch. It certainly isn’t the traditional snouts in troughs that I picture when I hear that bandied about.

Back