Opinion Matthew Nicks: Adelaide's Coach (Part 2) - Full Support of the Board

Is Matthew Nicks the right coach for Adelaide?

• Firmly yes (I love what I'm seeing)

• Leaning yes

• Can't decide either way

• Leaning no (but don't sack him yet)

• Firmly no (he should be sacked)

Results are only viewable after voting.

Remove this Banner Ad

You've surprised me.
Pyke Coached the Crows to the GF, not Walsh to whom I mean no disrespect (nor to you).
Pyke deserves credit for that, at least.

At the time of Walsh's tragic death, the Crows were 7th and not setting the AFL on fire.
I would have loved to see what Walsh might have achieved.

I'd take back the 2016/17 Pyke over Nicks in a heartbeat.

I dont think Pyke is a bad coach at all. Neither did the Crows as they wanted to keep him. As a fan group we have badly treated Pyke for something I don't think he had much control over.

People just want to blame someone and he became the face of it.

Yeah, the clubs in Adelaide and they live in Adelaide. Seriously Jenny, that’s a daft post
No, I just have a more “worldly view” I guess and find it hard to see the “trough” value of an AFC board membership in the overall scheme of things.

Yeah, the clubs in Adelaide and they live in Adelaide. Seriously Jenny, that’s a daft post

People act like Adelaide is a small town. In comparison to Melbourne and Sydney maybe but Adelaide would be the 7th biggest city in the USA. It is not small. Adelaide has a bigger population than Dallas, Seattle, San Francisco, Boston. So time to get out of this small town mentality. Adelaide is fast becoming the best city in Australia. Anyone acting like Adelaide is some sort of country town is mistaken.

People act like Adelaide is a small town. In comparison to Melbourne and Sydney maybe but Adelaide would be the 7th biggest city in the USA. It is not small. Adelaide has a bigger population than Dallas, Seattle, San Francisco, Boston. So time to get out of this small town mentality. Adelaide is fast becoming the best city in Australia. Anyone acting like Adelaide is some sort of country town is mistaken.

Yeah not sure about that. San Francisco has an urban population of like 5 million.

Adelaide is more of a Columbus or Kansas City

I dont think Pyke is a bad coach at all. Neither did the Crows as they wanted to keep him. As a fan group we have badly treated Pyke for something I don't think he had much control over.

People just want to blame someone and he became the face of it.
I'd take pyke back over nicks. Wouldn't hesitate.

I'd take pyke back over nicks. Wouldn't hesitate.
Pyke tried (multiple times) to do what Nicks is trying now. Anyone remember those games where we spent 2 minutes and 30 odd possessions chipping it around an empty defensive 50 only to bomb it long?

We seemingly moved away from that at one point in 2019 and were looking OK at 8-5, then we had the bye round, he doubled back to the defensive gameplan again and we started sucking and went 2-7 to end the year.

He fell into the exact same trap Nicks has where instead of tweaking a gameplan he became obsessed about turnovers and wanted to slow everything down to fix that problem.

You've surprised me.
Pyke Coached the Crows to the GF, not Walsh to whom I mean no disrespect (nor to you).
Pyke deserves credit for that, at least.

At the time of Walsh's tragic death, the Crows were 7th and not setting the AFL on fire.
I would have loved to see what Walsh might have achieved.

I'd take back the 2016/17 Pyke over Nicks in a heartbeat.
Walsh was changing what the club stood for.
Pyke albeit briefly successfully, took us back to habits from before Walsh that have led to where we are now.

E.g. playing of youth, selection, coaching, development, spin, general competence

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Walsh was changing what the club stood for.
Pyke albeit briefly successfully, took us back to habits from before Walsh that have led to where we are now.

E.g. playing of youth, selection, coaching, development, spin, general competence
It felt like as Pyke and the team slid and the resentment towards Pyke built Campo took more and more control which definitely didn't help us with falling into Neil Craig habits either.

I think my issue was always with the snouts in the trough analogie. I just don't think being on the board of the AFC would be that prestigious nor result in a truck load of cash.

I think you’re completely wrong. Board members don’t leave for a reason

You don’t want to know what Mostyn would do for a board seat. If you did, you’d probably need to adjust your browser settings to be able to see it! 🤣🤣🤣🤣

Did you notice the air quotes? 🤷‍♀️😜
Austin Powers Laser GIF

Those cities are much bigger than Adelaide when you take into account their metropolitan areas.

Massachusetts of which Boston (population 4.367m), which is a much smaller state in geographical size, has a state population of nearly 7 million.

Dallas (population inc metro area 6.665m) in Texas which has a state population of 29 million . San Francisco (population 4.6m) is in California with a state population of 39.5m. Seattle (population 4.03m) is in Washington State with a state population of 7.6m.

Adelaide has a population of approx 1.379m, including metro area, in a state with a population of approx 1.881m.

South Australia is the equivalent of Nebraska (1.94m) and West Virginia (1.792m) - the 37th and 38th States of the Union.

Just be wary of how they use populations in USA as they normally only count the city centre and its city limits and not the metro areas.

Last edited:

That doesn’t include all their metro areas.

Trust me, I’ve been and driven thru many of those cities and they are much, much bigger than Adelaide to drive thru.

Los Angeles has a greater metro population of 12.488m.

Any rate, when do we sack Nicks?

Last edited:
Not sure if accurate, Chris Scott comes out of contract this year. Throw the kitchen sink at him I say.

On CPH2371 using BigFooty.com mobile app

Back