Opinion Matthew Nicks: Adelaide's Coach (Part 2) - Full Support of the Board

Is Matthew Nicks the right coach for Adelaide?

• Firmly yes (I love what I'm seeing)

• Leaning yes

• Can't decide either way

• Leaning no (but don't sack him yet)

• Firmly no (he should be sacked)

Results are only viewable after voting.

Remove this Banner Ad

I’ve worked with a lot of boards in my time, in my experience very few were even remotely financially beneficial other than networking and the occasional long lunch. It certainly isn’t the traditional snouts in troughs that I picture when I hear that bandied about.

The trough is a LOT broader than that

Status is a lot more important than cash to a great many people

And they then turn that status into opportunities and ultimately loads of cash

Yes, but at least he could justify that stance given his success in making finals consistently and very nearly winning one in either 05 or 06. Easily our 2nd best coach after Blight. Nicks has had zero success and is talking like he’s coached 3 flags and his way works.
Very nearly winning one?
We didn't even make one.

Brisbane "very nearly" won one last year. Not us in 05/06.

Oh yeah, but you know, if Ben Cousins wasn’t on Turbo Speed Racer mode VB would’ve towelled him up and we would’ve won by 15 goals.

VB was of course known for being way better than Cousins.

I remember late career VB tagging Pendles to only 20 possessions in the first half before moving moving to Swan in the second and restricting him to just the 19. Or vice versa. Just shy of 40 touches off a hard tag. And he's most likely our most influential assistant and almost certainly our caretaker when time comes.

I remember late career VB tagging Pendles to only 20 possessions in the first half before moving moving to Swan in the second and restricting him to just the 19. Or vice versa. Just shy of 40 touches off a hard tag. And he's most likely our most influential assistant and almost certainly our caretaker when time comes.
Really cooled him

One of the top 5 most deluded takes from rusted-on Crows supporters.

An urban myth that still persists.

“Cousins only dominated VB because he was high as a kite!”

No, he dominated him because he’s an all-time great. And VB isn’t.

1714092242424.gif

Nicks says have you watched the SANFL in his last presser?

yep, you're a ******* mess there too!
Is there any chance we can play natural outside players on the outside and key talent up around the footy.
absolute rabble!

That team entered 2003 as the flag favourites with the bookies

Let’s not pretend he didn’t have top tier cattle.

His failings with that cattle were mostly down to his tactics and personality
My Brother did a pre-season at Norwood in the early-mid 90's when he was 20. Craigy was coach. Even though it was one pre-season he has always said that Neil was the best coach he has ever had.

You'll hear players from Norwood at that time say the exact same thing.
I remember when Craig was put up as the man for the job at the Crows.

I was working with the Adtrans Group on their systems at the time, and had Craig Riccuito in my ear most days about how we had the guy sitting right under noses - I was livid. I said "I saw what he did at the Parade up close and personal ... no way is he the guy".

Then we signed up NC - was the only time in my life I felt like calling the radio station to complain.

Riccuito then took much glee in making fun of me at every turn about my lack of football wisdom as the next few years saw us dominate the home and away.

Funny that the only person I remember who agreed with me at that time was Paul Weston, who I was working on a coaching system project with (along with Russell Ebert - name dropping!!)

So I said - oh well - maybe I was wrong.

When it all went to s**t and we couldn't get into a GF despite our dominance ... Big Roo ate his humble pie quite well :)

My Brother did a pre-season at Norwood in the early-mid 90's when he was 20. Craigy was coach. Even though it was one pre-season he has always said that Neil was the best coach he has ever had.

There’s more to coaching than just tactics, so I’m sure he could still make an impression

But Neil’s flaws exposed him at the pointy end of the season

(Log in to remove this ad.)

There’s more to coaching than just tactics, so I’m sure he could still make an impression

But Neil’s flaws exposed him at the pointy end of the season

He is an expert in his field, sport science.
Footy does involve sport science but not all of it is that.

Craig at the end was very bad, this is up there
I found Craig bad in the same way as I find Nicks. Either misuse or non-use of young talent as well as a lack of either evolving or plainly any tactical or interpersonal nous. It took too long in Craig's case for the club to see the forest for the trees and it is committing the same lunacy with Nicks.

The trough is a LOT broader than that

Status is a lot more important than cash to a great many people

And they then turn that status into opportunities and ultimately loads of cash
I'm not sure how anyone could possibly miss this point. Nepotism and cronyism is rife in plenty of places, with nothing more than the veneer of "successful" association required to fail upwards or onwards.

I don't think I've ever wated a coach sacked this badly before, the ongoing disgusting selection policy and arrogance from the man makes me feel sick.

I'm leaning that way myself.

As good as the Carlton win was, it was an outlier and last week was a snap back to reality.

Seeing him stack the side with experienced players to try and beat North has been the final straw.

Hopefully Clarko puts on a coaching master class tomorrow and puts this fraud and his coaching career out of its misery

As good as the Carlton win was, it was an outlier and last week was a snap back to reality.

Seeing him stack the side with experienced players to try and beat North has been the final straw.

Hopefully Clarko puts on a coaching master class tomorrow and puts this fraud and his coaching career out of its misery

Shows how low the bar is when we classify the Carlton win as anything close to a good win.

It was good to win after a good series of poor losses. So I get the feeling and where you are coming from.

I want him to coach and lose tomorrow followed by a total embarrassment of a loss against the PAPs, ONLY then will he start to feel the ignominy and be worthy of a sacking.

I'm not sure how anyone could possibly miss this point. Nepotism and cronyism is rife in plenty of places, with nothing more than the veneer of "successful" association required to fail upwards or onwards.
I think my issue was always with the snouts in the trough analogie. I just don't think being on the board of the AFC would be that prestigious nor result in a truck load of cash.

I think my issue was always with the snouts in the trough analogie. I just don't think being on the board of the AFC would be that prestigious nor result in a truck load of cash.

It'd easily be one of the most prestigious board positions in Adelaide, and the connections, ego, prestige and networking it delivered would be hugely valuable.

We deserved Phil Walsh. Not what we have been given for the past 8.5 seasons.
You've surprised me.
Pyke Coached the Crows to the GF, not Walsh to whom I mean no disrespect (nor to you).
Pyke deserves credit for that, at least.

At the time of Walsh's tragic death, the Crows were 7th and not setting the AFL on fire.
I would have loved to see what Walsh might have achieved.

I'd take back the 2016/17 Pyke over Nicks in a heartbeat.

Back