Coach Luke Beveridge & the Dogs - is his time up? Where are they at?

Is Luke Beveridge’s time up at the Bulldogs?

• Yes

Votes: 269 84.1%
  • No

Votes: 51 15.9%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Feel like Bevo is a mad proffessor. Has the occasional eureka moment.

I think we probably would have had more sustained 'success' under another coach but probably not won a flag.

Sounds a bit like Sheedy. Some say he actually underachieved which is an incredible statement for a 4x premiership coach. But maybe there’s a bit in it, who knows.

Sheedy loved pulling out bizarre moves. When they worked they really, really worked. When they didn’t it was ugly.

The seasons played our differently but 2016 had a bit of 1993 “where the hell did that come from” about it

In the right situation he was the master motivator who could get players and teams up to unlikely wins.

We could have brilliant seasons then fall straight into total holes (93, 96).

No doubt he was a dead keen, sharp as heck coach in the mid 80s. He was up and down in the 90s and snatched 93. I’m not sure he was a great coach in 2000, it was more a triumph of great recruiting and a great squad (though he had a lot to do with that too).

He was frequently a massive dickhead.

Already gone to two grand finals and I doubt anyone would say either team were standouts during those years.
They have barely had a decent core. Certainly never had viable key defenders or elite rucks stocks.

Even right now, I struggle to find a good solid defender who can keep Curnow, Lynch, Walker, Hawkins quiet. Alex Keath is woeful. Tries his heart out but simply not strong enough to match it.
Liam Jones looks like he will take months to get back to anything like the player he was at Carlton.

Totally agree..
Play Lobb Jamara and Darcy fwd and then some mediums and smalls.

Most goals come from half bank launches anyway so Naughton can set them up there.

I'm not even totally convinced U can play all Lobb, English and Darcy together.

I'm still not 💯 sure why they wanted Lobb.
I think we recruited Lobb under the assumption Darcy would take 2-3 years to meaningfully contribute. We desperately needed a ruck/forward, given last year we often had Cordy, Schache and Khamis supporting English, and Young the year before.

I agree we can't reasonably expect to win too many games with Lobb, English and Darcy in the side (especially Lobb and Darcy together). I'm hesitant to see us sending Naughton back given he's a 50+ goal forward, but I am really starting to feel like it may be for the good of the side. Only issue is without Naughton, we don't really have a consistent high scorer in the side. Every flag side in recent memory has had at least 1 (if not 2) 50+ goal forward. Geelong had Hawkins + Cameron, Melbourne had Fritsch, Richmond had Lynch + Riewoldt, Eagles had Kennedy, we had Stringer + Dickson, Hawks had Buddy, etc....

Already gone to two grand finals and I doubt anyone would say either team were standouts during those years.
They have barely had a decent core. Certainly never had viable key defenders or elite rucks stocks.

Even right now, I struggle to find a good solid defender who can keep Curnow, Lynch, Walker, Hawkins quiet. Alex Keath is woeful. Tries his heart out but simply not strong enough to match it.
Liam Jones looks like he will take months to get back to anything like the player he was at Carlton.

Jones was B.O.G in pur practice match then went off injured before half time against the Dees. 🤷‍♂️

Bev doesn't tag, ever. That's not an exaggeration.
2016 GF, Libba's second half of Josh Kennedy.

Mitch Wallis played some good run-with games (one in particular on Heppell)

I do agree he doesn't employ the strategy enough though.

Bit misleading. They were top of the ladder going into the last 3 rounds of 2021, and their best was clear top 2 (evident all season long), it was a mouthwatering GF. Rabbit out of a hat isn't the phrase I'd use (even with the increased difficulty from 5th).

A couple of points

- In 2016 we were closer to 1st than we were to 8th on the ladder. It was a strange home and away season. In 2021, for 20 rounds i think most people would have said we were the second best team behind Melbourne. We were on top at the end of round 20 and then shat the bed for the last 3 weeks.

- Alex Keath is worse than woeful. Last Saturday was close to the worst game of football i've seen a defender play

- Bit rough on Jones though, he has looked phenomenal over the preseason and was doing ok in Rd1 until coming off injured.

He's a genius coach, but he knows it. Sometimes backs his own experiments to his own detriment.

Still, he's done a lot with not much.

His stubboness with playing players in the wrong position like Lewis Young has been to the detriment of the Bulldogs list.

The Dogs list falls away badly after the first/best 15 players through imo.

Not sure if they have drafted very well (F/S selections aside) since we poached Nick Austin from them

That Lobb trade already looks like a clanger.

If they cannot beat an injury ravaged St Kilda, alarm bells may sound out, however, they started off last season very slowly too and came home with a wet sail 😞

I expect them to put in a much better effort against St Kilda and win by about 4-5 goals

(Log in to remove this ad.)

His stubboness with playing players in the wrong position like Lewis Young has been to the detriment of the Bulldogs list.

The Dogs list falls away badly after the first/best 15 players through imo.

Not sure if they have drafted very well (F/S selections aside) since we poached Nick Austin from them

That Lobb trade already looks like a clanger.

If they cannot beat an injury ravaged St Kilda, alarm bells may sound out, however, they started off last season very slowly too and came home with a wet sail 😞

I expect them to put in a much better effort against St Kilda and win by about 4-5 goals
Yeah Lewis Young was an odd one. Feel like he's already as good as Liam Jones. Jones could do freakier things, but Young is just more reliable.

Too erratic.

Won a once in a lifetime flag from the bottom of the 8 and got pumped making a GF from the same position.

Team has clearly had the talent to make the pointy end of the ladder, yet he can't even get them into the top 4.

Add in the fact I believe he was just extended for 2 more years.

Seems the upper echelons at the club don't want to let him go, as he the most successful club of the Bulldogs. That's doing their supporters a disservice however. 2016 was 7 years ago.

Too erratic.

Won a once in a lifetime flag from the bottom of the 8 and got pumped making a GF from the same position.

Team has clearly had the talent to make the pointy end of the ladder, yet he can't even get them into the top 4.

Add in the fact I believe he was just extended for 2 more years.

Seems the upper echelons at the club don't want to let him go, as he the most successful club of the Bulldogs. That's doing their supporters a disservice however. 2016 was 7 years ago.
This is a reimagining of the truth if I've ever seen it. I believe Luke Beveridge's time is up and he shouldn't have been extended, but despite the ladder position at the end of the year let's not pretend that we weren't clearly the second best team in the competition in 2021.

This is a reimagining of the truth if I've ever seen it. I believe Luke Beveridge's time is up and he shouldn't have been extended, but despite the ladder position at the end of the year let's not pretend that we weren't clearly the second best team in the competition in 2021.
If you were the clear second best side, you'd have finished 2nd on the ladder, not scraped into the 8.

The club had an amazing finals series, no doubt.

They were absolutely not the 'clear 2nd best' side during the H&A season.

If you were the clear second best side, you'd have finished 2nd on the ladder, not scraped into the 8.

What flawed logic. First of all, if a team wins the premiership from 8th, they're the best team, not the 8th best team, so given we made the grand final that means we were at least the 2nd best team in it.

We also didn't "scrape in", 7th and 8th had 11 wins in 2021, we had 15.

The last 3 weeks of the regular season definitely cost us as far as the home and away ladder was concerned but Melbourne and the Bulldogs were top 2 all season up until that point and the fact that we beat 2 of the 3 teams ahead of us during the finals series (and during the home and away season) is enough to suggest we were clearly the second best team in the competition.

Are you confusing 2021 with 2022 H&A results?

Nope, confusing it with 2016 results.
In 2016 we would have made top 4 any other year, on 15 wins.
Last year only scraped into finals on the back of 2x Carlton chokes.

Back