Roast Josh Mahoney needs to go

Remove this Banner Ad

For all his short comings, Watts has enough attributes to be a key player for Port now that they've lost Trengove and Lobbe. His ball use and light ruck duties have him so far in front of Pick 31 it isn't funny. That is the value to Port Adelaide.

Port fans were rightly stoked with this trade. Doesn't mean we made the wrong decision to trade him.

I understand that side of the argument but I reckon it's mfcss to think he will suddenly become a gun when he has had 30 good games in his career.
I'm also not sold on port, they belted up the bottom sides and Motlop and Watts will help them be even more ruthless. But their main guns struggled against real opposition and the 3 blokes they got won't help.

I understand that side of the argument but I reckon it's mfcss to think he will suddenly become a gun when he has had 30 good games in his career.
I'm also not sold on port, they belted up the bottom sides and Motlop and Watts will help them be even more ruthless. But their main guns struggled against real opposition and the 3 blokes they got won't help.
I don't think he'll become a gun. I don't think many people at all expect him to be a gun tbh.

His main issue is conditioning and consistency. Port will try to address those and Jack will inevitably go harder at his second club.

I'm not sure he will play significantly more big games for Port than at Melbourne but I think his bad games won't be as disastrous as they were at Melbourne. His base standards will lift IMO and that alone makes him a best 22 player at Port who will have some big games.

Whilst I think it is unders, I'm not losing sleep over pick 31. I just think we could have approached it better.

I don't think he'll become a gun. I don't think many people at all expect him to be a gun tbh.

His main issue is conditioning and consistency. Port will try to address those and Jack will inevitably go harder at his second club.

I'm not sure he will play significantly more big games for Port than at Melbourne but I think his bad games won't be as disastrous as they were at Melbourne. His base standards will lift IMO and that alone makes him a best 22 player at Port who will have some big games.

Whilst I think it is unders, I'm not losing sleep over pick 31. I just think we could have approached it better.

I didn't see the need to publicly set him on fire but I think they would have anticipated the public backlash and needed to set the record straight for their reasons. It's probably in even worse taste to slam him after the trade so it is what it is.

You can't disparage people using hindsight and then spend your whole post evaluating past trades with the benefit of hindsight, Vince has been great a B&f winner and a pro when the club needed it, just because Crouch was drafted at that spot doesn't mean the dees would have.

Yep, that's what I was referring to with the hypothetical rabbit hole stuff. You don't know what we would have done with that draft pick, just like we won't know what we could have done with the two firsts we gave up for Lever. Not sure how I spent my whole post "evaluating trades with the benefit of hindsight" - I just mentioned that you can only go off the information at the time, so given the other two trades I discussed were Watts and Lever, how am I judging those on hindsight?

Eh, Watts could have been worth more to a club who sees him as potentially being an impact player for a finals tilt. Weller isn't worth pick 2 but Fremantle played on Gold Coast's desperation and ended up getting what they wanted. I agree Watts' value isn't that great, but we didn't help ourselves at the trade table by publicly slamming the bloke.

We’re paying 200k over two years of Watt’s salary. We needed to pay it anyway so we weren’t under the TPP. Chill out ffs.

Seriously

I mean **** him and his dumbarse trades.

Go away Josh. Go far away. PISS OFF!!!!

What a Campaigner
i understand there is ton of emotions in this post but come one man
Josh is one of the best around
Your pick given to crows will be 12-16 next year

Watts gone allows you to draft Bayley Fritsch at 31 who will become his replacement

Balic is a beast inside midfielder that getting his body together and will ease pressure on Jones and Viney in the midfield.

As someone that has work closely with Josh from time to time, he's an absolute legend that thinks a few years in advance.

Yep, that's what I was referring to with the hypothetical rabbit hole stuff. You don't know what we would have done with that draft pick, just like we won't know what we could have done with the two firsts we gave up for Lever. Not sure how I spent my whole post "evaluating trades with the benefit of hindsight" - I just mentioned that you can only go off the information at the time, so given the other two trades I discussed were Watts and Lever, how am I judging those on hindsight?

Eh, Watts could have been worth more to a club who sees him as potentially being an impact player for a finals tilt. Weller isn't worth pick 2 but Fremantle played on Gold Coast's desperation and ended up getting what they wanted. I agree Watts' value isn't that great, but we didn't help ourselves at the trade table by publicly slamming the bloke.
Sorry for the late reply, happy to admit I overstated it with saying your whole post, in reading it again that wasn't the case, my apologises.

Still think talking about who and what and if only is a waste of time as Melbourne supporters that will just sent us to an early grave, the Vince decision was a great move and I think moving Watts on at this time will prove to be as well, could have been handled better at the start but I still don't believe it had any bearing on his value. It was Port or nowhere and they had pick 31 job done.

Sorry for the late reply, happy to admit I overstated it with saying your whole post, in reading it again that wasn't the case, my apologises.

Still think talking about who and what and if only is a waste of time as Melbourne supporters that will just sent us to an early grave, the Vince decision was a great move and I think moving Watts on at this time will prove to be as well, could have been handled better at the start but I still don't believe it had any bearing on his value. It was Port or nowhere and they had pick 31 job done.

Yeah, you're not wrong there, but I do think this penchant we have of paying overs for people is costing us; I guess that was all I was trying to say. It's is rarely going to be definitive that we missed out on a player (unless we trade out a top 3 pick), so once you're down the pecking order a bit, it really does become navel gazing.

Watts value may have been around that 25 to 30 mark, but just like we can overpay, other clubs might as well if they think they're a sniff of a chance of winning a flag, or they can "deMelbourne" a player. I'd have liked to have seen us take more of a poker face to the trade table. Anyway, may as well shelve this conversation for another year.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I wonder if this is because Alan Richardson took on more of his responsibilities? Their shared role thing that was announced a few months ago sounded confusing.

If this means Richo is now our head of football or whatever they call it these days then i'm not sure if that's a good thing
Actually now that I think about it this might soft cap related, we are paying Richo some stupid amount like 600-800k and with the reduction in cap spend he had to basically take on multiple roles.

I always had time for Mahoney . I heard him speak at a members event once, and unlike Goodwin, he made no excuses. Made it clear he had no time for players who made them either

His role of general manager of facilities or whatever seemed like a demotion.

Liked the way he went about things a lot more than Goodwin. Would much rather a manager like him that got deals done, rather than a Dodoro type. Most trades have worked out with the most iffy being Lever, where his ACL obviously changed things.

Not sure about this change as Im not impressed by Richardson at all.

If we don't win the flag this year I'm going to find out where Richo lives and drop a massive pile of manure on his front lawn.
I’m pretty bored after a million years of lockdown so I’m going to do it anyway

Can't believe we fell up into Choco. . 2020 is amazing. The tide might actually be turning our way for a change. 🤗

Seriously though, Mahoney did some decent things during his time with us but I'm glad hes gone. Had been here long enough for heck all to show for it.

All hail Choc.

Fantastic news.

Shuffling draft picks all over the place, this year, next year, but never ending up in a position better than if you had just kept the initial picks. I could never get on board with that.

He was definitely a used car salesman and not a very good one, it’s a fitting end for him to join Dodo at Essendon.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back