Prediction How will the Geelong Cats fare in season 2024?

Where will Geelong finish in 2024

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

I still think 5th - 8th. I expected us to start well. I think we will fade late.
Just curious, did you account for us not having the majority of our midfield week in, week out in that fast start?

I'd honestly be more worried about fading if Danger & Guthrie where playing, and we were dominating sides.

Right now we're banking the wins while playing in bursts without our two best midfielders. I think it's highly unlikely that this is the best we'll look for the year.

Just curious, did you account for us not having the majority of our midfield week in, week out in that fast start?

I'd honestly be more worried about fading if Danger & Guthrie where playing, and we were dominating sides.

Right now we're banking the wins while playing in bursts without our two best midfielders. I think it's highly unlikely that this is the best we'll look for the year.
My reasoning was I knew we had a great preseason and the club were obviously very disappointed with last year.
Had nothing to do with players missing or injuries, it’s just how I thought it would play out.

I think we will get better but I think other teams will too.
The next month is telling.
Just my opinion.

I had us going 11-12, which included us starting 2-3 I think.

So add the extra 3 wins and we will go 14-9.

Ill take that everyday of the week.

View attachment 1960631

'Last 18 Premiers have been in the green zone'

Next six 'tough' Geelong games are 'critical' -

If we can win three from next six or even better still four from next six 'and still be in green zone' while still developing our younger players then we'd probably be as good as chance as any team to win 2024 flag or very close to it pending a half decent run with injuries. But like with most clubs the margin for error or slip-up isn't great, although winning first five games has been a real winner for us.... GO CATS

-Brisbane (Gabba)
-Carlton (MCG)
-Melbourne (MCG)
-Port (GMHBA)
-Gold Coast (Darwin)
-GWS (GMHBA)

Fox Footy.jpg

Last edited:
The real test starts now.

If we can get Danger and Guthrie back and be 3-2 over the next 5 (or better) then it's game on for the cats.
2-3 would be disappointing. We should be winning all of our home games if healthy, and beating Blues with their injuries. If there's a slip up between those games, surely we take out one of the Melbourne and Brisbane games.

3-2 is a reasonable expectation and would mean our fast start wasn't a fluke. 4-1 or 5-0 and we are in dream land with multiple finals awaiting us.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

At the start of the year i said we'd lose 2 games for the year. Adelaide away, and Brisbane away. Maybe it should have gone in the outrageous claims thread. 🤔 But this week will be telling.
I wouldn't underestimate the psychological effect, especially on our veterans, of having a 5-0 start and a chance to put one foot in the top 4 door over the next 6 weeks. Some will be coming back into a side with exciting things on the horizon rather than expected to rescue a collapse. We are already managing players. They know they had a big pre-season. There's still a chip on the shoulder about being written off as opposed to universally praised after 2022.

So mentally, I just think a lot of the old heads will be thinking there's another chance, no matter how small. But of course lose the next couple and we're back to square one, to a degree. Need to win one of them to keep the momentum going.

G'day Cats fans, I'm a bit of a stat head and thought I'd share the following with you;

In season '24, the Cats have the highest differential for intercept possessions per game ever recorded with +9.8.

When Geelong won the flag in 2022 they had a differential of +6.9 per game.

Best of luck for the rest of the season...cheers.

G'day Cats fans, I'm a bit of a stat head and thought I'd share the following with you;

In season '24, the Cats have the highest differential for intercept possessions per game ever recorded with +9.8.

When Geelong won the flag in 2022 they had a differential of +6.9 per game.

Best of luck for the rest of the season...cheers.

Wow, can you come back in a month AFLinsight2023 to update us on how thats progressing. Goodluck to your boys this weekend against Ross.

So put a line through St Kilda. Dogs still in the race for 8th. Fremantle are in that zone too.

GWS
Sydney
Melbourne
Geelong
Carlton
Port
Brisbane

My "maybe" contenders list (not necessarily in order) for 2024. Suns will be added with notable away wins.

So put a line through St Kilda. Dogs still in the race for 8th. Fremantle are in that zone too.

GWS
Sydney
Melbourne
Geelong
Carlton
Port
Brisbane

My "maybe" contenders list (not necessarily in order) for 2024. Suns will be added with notable away wins.
As bad as it is to watch Freo(Ross Ball 2.0) If they didn't get screwed vs Carlton and got a little more luck VS Port they would be 5-0 like us.
I personally don't think they have enough scoring power to win the whole thing but they deserve to be put in the contender group as of right now.

As bad as it is to watch Freo(Ross Ball 2.0) If they didn't get screwed vs Carlton and got a little more luck VS Port they would be 5-0 like us.
I personally don't think they have enough scoring power to win the whole thing but they deserve to be put in the contender group as of right now.
True, I just worry about their scoring power come finals but think they will qualify.

The teams listed have enough weapons either in midfield or up forward to go all the way. Fremantle have a strong midfield but they lack for goals and creativity.

Back