AFLW GRAND FINAL v Adelaide @ Adelaide Oval, 12:30pm AEST, Saturday 9 April

Remove this Banner Ad

After seeing this again over in Adelaide, its a replica of last years prelim.

Attitude of the team is toO submissive.

Time for a shake up. Stinear isn't a coach of a finals team.

He should do a 'Neil Balme', and become team manager, and let someone else with a sterner spine take the Coaching reigns.

We lost this game thru the week and before the first bounce. tactically, but mostly attitudinally.

Last edited:
I'm gonna go and look at the AFL ladder to make myself feel better.
I’m going to go buy one of those bratwurst things in a roll with onions. That should do it.

Crows better team . Better system , Can't complain with the effort , just thought process not up to it today .
They play with a simpler game ethos. be aggressive, attack the footy hard, and the woman hard. Intimidate them with aggression. and take no prisoners.

And they do it time and again, they work hard offfield in the gym and are led strongly in this way via Phillips.

The Dees girls always struggle in Adelaide unfortunately.

I'm not overly invested in AFLW if I'm honest but watched the end there out of interest.

I thought the Crows girls could have at least acknowledged Pearce's address and congratulations. Just ignored her. The crowd was more respectful.

In any case, a good season and something for the Dees girls to build on next year.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Adelaide have been gifted a state side for years, things will be different next year with Port coming in.

Desperately need a couple of big bodied mids. Who might be gettable?
Not sure, but with 4 more sides I think it'll be hard to nab one from elsewhere.
From our current list I think Gay could play more midfield. She's a decent size and user of the footy. Tarrant who's close to KPP size has had some midfield games for Casey this year and got a fair bit of it so might be an option.

Ah well, good effort to get there and clearly against a better side. Smart by the crows really to have 2-3 players minding Harris, seemed like the Melbourne players took too long to adjust the forward entries and kept bombing to her in hopeless outnumbers.

Now... is the time to start working on 2023.
Jumping the gun there, since the next season will almost certainly start in the last week of August 2022.

Very quick turnaround by AFLW standards, probably the silver lining from today's result.

Also having only seen the last few minutes, disappointed but unsurprised by the result. Seems we had our usual problems trying to play highly skilled footy under high pressure.
They've played much like the old 'somewhat-successful' Melbourne sides of the past few decades. Not including our current mens team of the past 4 years.

Easily intimidated back into they're shells, by early aggression... then the negatives happen, and that leads to fumbling and then panicked choices with the ball.
It slowly unravels from there.

This is Melbourne curse, Achilles heal. the antidote is to be the first to get down and dirty;
and it has to be us to set the tone of aggression. then we can stand tall because we are the Hunters.

When Melbourne takes on 'the hunted mantle', we go to water.

Stinear should know his players, and Harris is gun-shy, afraid of failing, which in-turn brings her down.
I would have switched things up for the start of this game and started her high at CHF and pushing up field. To throw off her full back opponent, and to get Harris taking marks thru the midfield, helping her to get rolling into the game.

We possibly could have started Zanker in the ruck at centre bounces, (Zanker to jump into opposition ruck) with LPearce starting deep forward. to shake the Crows setups. I would have had Mithen or another tenacious small, even McNamara at LP's feet... for the first part of the game.

I would have our most aggressive players around the middle, and ordered a bit of push and shove early on, to surprise the crows mids.
We hardly ever put our opponents on they're backsides, in tackles, and contested footy..... Not good enough.

I would have started Daisy in defence from the start, just to get our players off to a settled start to the game. Daisy to move forward closer to half time.

Getting started on the right foot against a team that intimidates us, is a priority for us. And this is mostly because we are too nice a team.

This pervades all our personnel and it what has haunted this club for over 50 years. It's why the Hawks were our masters over the long journey.

Now: of today's players...
HORE barely sighted. Scott barely a wimper. Hanks below her best, busy, but ineffectual. Heath below her best today (might have been worth trying beside LPearce deep forward for the 1st Qtr).

Just a few early short term changes that could work with our natural structural methods, could hyave thrown all the Crows planning out of the window.

What we dished up was just as the Crows would have expected and had planned for all season.

Jumping the gun there, since the next season will almost certainly start in the last week of August 2022.

Very quick turnaround by AFLW standards, probably the silver lining from today's result.
Nope; start planning now, and recognising what the failures have been.

And the message given to the players for them to work on, between now and August, as you said.

We need some change of personnel, both off field, and on.

Nope; start planning now, and recognising what the failures have been.

And the message given to the players for them to work on, between now and August, as you said.

We need some change of personnel, both off field, and on.
I get what you're saying. I'm just pointing out that before planning for 2023, plans for 2022 part II need to be made first.

Desperately need a couple of big bodied mids. Who might be gettable?
Yeah, but imo, moreso a list wide aggression approach.

For 2 years now I've watched our girls be hammered into playing, 'like girls'... instead of playing like they have the balls to take the Premiership.

Its simple when a team has too many conservative shy type mindsets, aggression will intimidate them and they will quickly lose any aggression, and become negative in methods.
This is why some start to spectate, because they are in 'flight mode', instead of 'Fight Mode' hunters.

This is also why the coaches personality type plays a huge part. We play thru the season in Nice mode.
When have we shown any true Ruthlessness. like Adelaide do.?

We're are H&A bullies playing with a substantial home ground advantage.

I think we need to instill a physical hardness, to all on our list.

I now think that the talk earlier this season on this board, is close to the truth. Stinear is a hell of a nice guy, by all accounts; but he's a hell of a long way off winning finals footy. Even our wins against strong teams were real skill-less scraps, where a couple of cameos were the difference.

I reclkon its time to change the coach; and we should perhaps start to talk to others Like Daniel Harford, Ryan Ferguson, or even Nathan Burke.
It could be worth a call to Bec Goddard as well.

Last edited:
The forward line is rotten if Harris is held. Bannan and Daisy do their bit but it needs a) any sort of crumb and b) a second marking option so opposition don't know we're going to kick it to Harris every time.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back