F1 F1 2024 thread

Remove this Banner Ad

IMO it's races like this that will stamp Sergio's papers. Not many acceptable excuses for not closing down on the car in front for second when your team mate is lapping half a second faster in the lead

So was there a reason for Oscar slow pace compared to his teammate before he got Strolled?
Not really, Lando just had a run of clear air behind the Red Bulls at the start which made his race easy to manage while Piastri was duelling with the Ferraris and Russell all race.

Not really, Lando just had a run of clear air behind the Red Bulls at the start which made his race easy to manage while Piastri was duelling with the Ferraris and Russell all race.
When I watched it just now it seemed like they were both equally in traffic at the start but Oscar just kept dropping back. I know it’s a new track for him but to be losing 1 second a lap on your teammate is too much.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So was there a reason for Oscar slow pace compared to his teammate before he got Strolled?

Not much of an excuse but he was having to hold off the Ferrari's and George for quite a while when Lando had pretty clean air. I'd hazard a guess that screwed his tyres a bit.

Foregone conclusion as usual but this race was interesting at least. Ricciardo had a pretty good race until the restart. Oscar struggled. Batshit crazy move by Aston to put Alonso on softs from 7th. Brilliant drives from Lando and the Ferraris. Lewis and Hulk solid to score points, driving through the pack and holding their positions, respectively. Definitely some terrible driving by some of the back markers as noted by others.

Well said by RIC after his race was ruined by Stroll:

“And apparently I'm an idiot. And it was my fault. So, that made my blood boil. Because it's clear as day - and it's also behind a safety car.
“The only thing you've got to do is watch the car in front, we can't predict what the leader is going to do. We can't assume that we're going to go in Turn 14. The race doesn't start until the control line."
“The biggest thing is if they’re like ‘oh, we’ll give him a five-place penalty the next race', but he still is then blaming me, that’s a bigger problem. I want him to understand once the dust settles, if he's still hot-headed today, he needs to learn from this."
“We've all made mistakes. I've done it, we all have. As long as he understands that he was the one that's ruined not only his race but mine, that's the biggest thing we can take away."

Well said by RIC after his race was ruined by Stroll:

I can’t find a result for this.
They are on the FIA page:

RIC copped a 10 second time penalty for overtaking under the SC, but because he had retired it becomes a 3 grid place penalty at the next race....so he really got STROLLED hard today as he somehow ends up copping a harsher penalty than Stroll once its all said and done :(

Last edited:
They are on the FIA page:

RIC copped a 10 second time penalty for overtaking under the SC, but because he had retired it becomes a 3 grid place penalty at the next race....so he really got STROLLED hard today as he somehow ends up copping a harsher penalty than Stroll once its all said and done :(
Who did Ricciardo overtake under the safety car?

Who did Ricciardo overtake under the safety car?
Hulkenberg.

Pretty much Hulkenberg got past RIC when RIC got Strolled (it was still saftey car conditions when that happened) and so in turn RIC thought he could recover his position as HUL went past him under the SC conditions....but the FIA say no.

So in short, its bullshit.

Hulkenberg.

Pretty much Hulkenberg got past RIC when RIC got Strolled (it was still saftey car conditions when that happened) and so in turn RIC thought he could recover his position.... the FIA say no.

So in short, its bullshit.
Wow that's ****ed. Rough on Hulkenberg as well. Stroll should be thankful he's not serving a three-place grid penalty in Miami.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back