F1 F1 2023 - The Rise of Oscar

Remove this Banner Ad

Unless I've confused you with someone else. Haven't you been bagging him heaps lately?

Yes because his performances have not matched what the car is capable of. His early season form before all the upgrades when he won a couple of races are what got his points total up there.

How would you rank Oscar's rookie season compared to other current drivers rookie seasons ?

Hamilton arguably had one of the strongest rookie seasons in F1 history, so its a long way off that

Verstappen, Norris, Leclerc and Russell were all very impressive in their rookie seasons, albeit in much weaker cars than what Oscar had (from the mid season point onwards anyway).

Top 5 rookie seasons IMO -

Villeneuve
Hamilton
Piastri
Raikkonen
Alonso

Honorable mentions Montoya, Webber, Button, Max

Anyone listen to the SkySports F1 pod season review? When asked for driver of the season other than Max Ted said Lewis. The best bit is him getting roasted in the comments for his Ham love.

How would you rank Oscar's rookie season compared to other current drivers rookie seasons ?

Hamilton arguably had one of the strongest rookie seasons in F1 history, so its a long way off that

Verstappen, Norris, Leclerc and Russell were all very impressive in their rookie seasons, albeit in much weaker cars than what Oscar had (from the mid season point onwards anyway).
He also had the best car a rookies ever had, especially given they stole all of Ferrari's info.

Anyone listen to the SkySports F1 pod season review? When asked for driver of the season other than Max Ted said Lewis. The best bit is him getting roasted in the comments for his Ham love.
non-max driver of the season and yeah... he finished 3rd in the Championship. Was consistent but never brilliant, almost like his whinging. The car had the pace to be up there at times. Would argue Lando was better.

non-max driver of the season and yeah... he finished 3rd in the Championship. Was consistent but never brilliant, almost like his whinging. The car had the pace to be up there at times. Would argue Lando was better.
I'm not a Lewis fan but I almost feel like his season was a little underrated. He had plenty of skirmishes with other drivers and only finished with six podiums for the year but he finished lower than sixth only four times (not including his DQ in Austin, where he finished second on the road). Ferrari low-key had a decent second half of the season.

I'm not a Lewis fan but I almost feel like his season was a little underrated. He had plenty of skirmishes with other drivers and only finished with six podiums for the year but he finished lower than sixth only four times (not including his DQ in Austin, where he finished second on the road). Ferrari low-key had a decent second half of the season.
Yeah, I get that and George had a rough season which made him look decent as well but some races that car had pace to match the RBR and some it didn't. Lando was getting closer to a win than Mercedes was all season and outperformed the car at a number of races IMO. Oscar also did well but Lando was better than him.

He also had the best car a rookies ever had, especially given they stole all of Ferrari's info.
And matched a reigning double world champion in Fernando Alonso. Not at all bad in a rookie season.

As for this season, Oscar was brilliant. He was unlikely to beat Norris over the course of his first season, because he was still getting used to F1 and its mechanics. A special mention has to go to Alex Albon too, who as Not Important pointed out, got 96% of Williams' points, underscoring the vast difference between him and Sargeant.

In fact, experience is what won out this season, with only a couple of exceptions. Hamilton beat Russell, Alonso beat Stroll (admittedly a low bar), Tsunoda's figures are maybe skewed by a teammate swap midway, Bottas was quite comfortably the best Alfa Romeo man.

It was interesting at Ferrari. Pretty close between the two of them there. Close at Alpine too. Hulkenberg smashed Magnussen at Haas (HULK SMASH).

A lot now will rest with what the likes of Mercedes, Ferrari and maaaaybe McLaren can do to close the gap to Red Bull. Can't see much of a difference to the pecking order for next season, but you never know.

And matched a reigning double world champion in Fernando Alonso. Not at all bad in a rookie season.

Thanks to stealing setups and getting favours from the team over Alonso. Alonso would have won the championship comfortably had it not been for Ron Dennis.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

“But the thing I always remember with the champions of the past — a lot of people said, ‘If you only win with one team you’ve only been able to do it there and you haven’t proved you’re able to go and do it somewhere else’.

“Which was like Michael for example, or Lewis as well. They proved they could actually move to another team and that signalled to certain people that they were one of the greats because they didn’t just do it with one car.

“I think that’s very unfair to be honest because there’s a hell of a lot of work that goes into making that work in that given team. Even if it’s one team or two teams, it doesn’t really matter.

“That’s the only thing people have said in the past — that they need to do it in another car to prove it, but I don’t think you do.

Is that a fair assessment with the GOAT talk - you have to do it at two teams?

I don't think its essential to do it at multiple teams, but rather do above expected in a car that isn't considered the best on the grid.

Max has still driven solidly in the years that Red Bull were not the best car, and you could arguably say that his 2021 championship win was in the 2nd best car. I think he'd probably need to win another championship in a car that is not the best on the grid to be put into GOAT conversations.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back