Scandal Ex player Sam Fisher charged with drug trafficking

Remove this Banner Ad

KetamineKerr

Senior List
Aug 5, 2008
Australia
AFL Club
Richmond
There are concerns for a recently retired player from a Melbourne-based club being lost to a drug-addled abyss.

The All-Australian owes money to ex-team mates and has failed to turn up to functions where he was the event's attraction.

Former players have pleaded for the besieged player to change his ways, but to no avail.

The man's problems are akin to those of troubled West Coast star Ben Cousins, who is in jail for drug and intervention order breaches.

The player's party lifestyle could also be the cause of the recent sale of a bayside property.

Any idea who?

Think Terry nailed it because of the bayside property. But is a retired AFL player addicted to gear a scandal anymore? It's clearly a problem. Mental illness, not a scandal close this.

Think Terry nailed it because of the bayside property. But is a retired AFL player addicted to gear a scandal anymore? It's clearly a problem. Mental illness, not a scandal close this.

Yep. You hear about a former AFL player with drug problems and all I think is "yawwwwwwwwwwwwnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn!!!!".

Tattooed pie?

I don't think it's good for addicts to be allowed to hide behind the skirt tails of the mental illness card. They have severe issues that have a profound effect on too many innocents in society and for people to sit there and figuratively rub their hair and say it's ok lad, it's not your fault, you're ill, is bullshit. It is their fault and they are a piece of crap, right up to the time when they put their hand up and admit it and ask for help.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don't think it's good for addicts to be allowed to hide behind the skirt tails of the mental illness card. They have severe issues that have a profound effect on too many innocents in society and for people to sit there and figuratively rub their hair and say it's ok lad, it's not your fault, you're ill, is bullshit. It is their fault and they are a piece of crap, right up to the time when they put their hand up and admit it and ask for help.

* I hope you're joking not sure if you've lost anybody to alcohol but it's the same thing, not scandalous mate, just blokes trying to cope.

**** I hope you're joking not sure if you've lost anybody to alcohol but it's the same thing, not scandalous mate, just blokes trying to cope.
And the longer we as a society tolerate this crap, the more often we will have to clean up the mess that's left behind from 'blokes trying to cope'. And yes mate, I've had too much exposure to people who use substances to cope with their personal demons, which in the vast majority are caused by substance abuse in the first place.

Daniel Merrett? I know for a fact he likes the party lifestyle and dabbles in DJ'ing which could explain 'main attraction'. Also a quick google search shows he just listed his Hawthorne property in Brisbane.

Continually this misconception pops up, namely that blame and consequences are the same thing. People should face the consequences of their actions, but blame can lie in upbringing and mental state and other life experiences.

The misconception that understanding and compassion are the same thing as letting people off. It's either revenge punishment or you're not trying hard enough. The misconception that mental illness or drug addiction is a morality issue rather than a medical one.

Retributive justice helps nobody in the end. But our political leaders continue to jam their tough on crime slogans down everyone's necks while having to be dragged kicking and screaming towards the idea of prevention and treatment rather than punishment.

I immediately thought Sam Fisher off the top of my head, of course this is all just speculation at the moment now, though. Horrible thing to hear about anyone, if true

Daniel Merrett? I know for a fact he likes the party lifestyle and dabbles in DJ'ing which could explain 'main attraction'. Also a quick google search shows he just listed his Hawthorne property in Brisbane.

Melbourne based club.

Continually this misconception pops up, namely that blame and consequences are the same thing. People should face the consequences of their actions, but blame can lie in upbringing and mental state and other life experiences.

The misconception that understanding and compassion are the same thing as letting people off. It's either revenge punishment or you're not trying hard enough. The misconception that mental illness or drug addiction is a morality issue rather than a medical one.

Retributive justice helps nobody in the end. But our political leaders continue to jam their tough on crime slogans down everyone's necks while having to be dragged kicking and screaming towards the idea of prevention and treatment rather than punishment.

People have reasons and excuses...
People have to accept reasons, not excuses...

Everyone is quick to put the an opposing view at the extreme end of the opposite argument. Two examples highlight it.

Someone who says we have to be tolerable to issues will be called to soft with no strenth to stand up to people
Someone who says we need to be firmer in our approach is too harsh with no understanding or compassion

Clearly the ideal scenario is inbetween the 60/40 range from either stance.

To look at it from a reason an excuses POV:

An upbringing around child abuse, drug and alcohol abuse, poor family etc are all reasons why someone may face mental health issues. And society has to accept that, what they don't have to accept is that those reasons are then used as excuses for continuing to make poor CHOICES for themselves, which lead to drug and alcohol abuse, violence, crime etc.

An external influence that someone has little to no control over is a reason.
How you CHOOSE to deal with that is a choice (granted some people are not prepared to make the right choices)...
Using reasons as excuses for bad choices should not be tolerated. Acceptance of this premise only reinforces the view that society will continue to accept excuses for bad choices.

As for the discussion around people dealing with mental health issues (their demons) with drugs, the drugs in question are illegal, will continue to be illegal, therefore it is a BAD CHOICE by someone to turn to them when ill. There may be a lot of reasons why that seems like the logical choice in their scenario (they watched their parents do it all their life for example), but it is not an excuse for them to make the same mistake.

People have reasons and excuses...
People have to accept reasons, not excuses...

Everyone is quick to put the an opposing view at the extreme end of the opposite argument. Two examples highlight it.

Someone who says we have to be tolerable to issues will be called to soft with no strenth to stand up to people
Someone who says we need to be firmer in our approach is too harsh with no understanding or compassion

Clearly the ideal scenario is inbetween the 60/40 range from either stance.

To look at it from a reason an excuses POV:

An upbringing around child abuse, drug and alcohol abuse, poor family etc are all reasons why someone may face mental health issues. And society has to accept that, what they don't have to accept is that those reasons are then used as excuses for continuing to make poor CHOICES for themselves, which lead to drug and alcohol abuse, violence, crime etc.

An external influence that someone has little to no control over is a reason.
How you CHOOSE to deal with that is a choice (granted some people are not prepared to make the right choices)...
Using reasons as excuses for bad choices should not be tolerated. Acceptance of this premise only reinforces the view that society will continue to accept excuses for bad choices.

As for the discussion around people dealing with mental health issues (their demons) with drugs, the drugs in question are illegal, will continue to be illegal, therefore it is a BAD CHOICE by someone to turn to them when ill. There may be a lot of reasons why that seems like the logical choice in their scenario (they watched their parents do it all their life for example), but it is not an excuse for them to make the same mistake.

Hope you don't drink

We have a culture of men not being men if they have feelings. Especially in a footy environment. Easier to mask how you feel instead of telling your mates you're not well if they think like any of you blokes. Stop talking about things you clearly don't know enough about.

Last edited:

I don't believe society does do this. People are quick to judge addicts and condemn them rather than offer the hand of comfort and friendship.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back