Unrestricted Free Agent Elliot Yeo [UFA 2024]

Remove this Banner Ad

Band 1 compo for a guy that turns 32 next year?!
lol are you nuts 😂😂
Dont think it works that way? Just matters the money they offer. If a club goes to 3 year 3x million dollars then i think that triggers Band 1.

I imagine we simply up our offer too the point the only way these teams are getting us to back off is to activate Band 1 also

Dont think it works that way? Just matters the money they offer. If a club goes to 3 year 3x million dollars then i think that triggers Band 1.

I imagine we simply up our offer too the point the only way these teams are getting us to back off is to activate Band 1 also
The players age is a massive factor in the calculation. Even if they are one year older than the normal FA age (which is 26, 8 years after being drafted as an 18 yo) it reduces chances of band 1 a lot. The players in contention for band 1 compo this year were drafted in 2016. Yeo was drafted 5 years earlier in 2011.
31 year old players don’t trigger band 1 compo.
In fact that calculation is so sensitive for age, they actually factor in the month of a players birthday. Eg Ben McKay was born in December meaning he was 25 when the AFL decided on the compo for him last Oct. He turned 26 a couple of months later. Had he been 26 at the time of the trade week it would have been counted against him.

You guys would be doing well to get an end of second round pick for a player Yeos age. Doesnt matter what money he’s offered.

Isaac Smith moving to Geelong a few years ago would be a good example of a similar compensation. And I think he was younger than Yeo.

Clubs trying to activate band 1 compo it seems to get him to come as a free agent. If Eagles can get pick 4 for him, its probably worth us letting him leave. 1 mill per year is just a bit too much

This is going to be a serious issue moreso for restricted free agents I think

Where clubs target a player and don’t want that club to match and force a trade so will frontload to trigger band 1 so both clubs win

For unrestricted free agents like yeo tho I don’t see the point as they can get him for free no matching

Surely this is incorrect, who in their right mind would offer $2.7/3 years for a guy who has not played more than 12 games in a season since 2019

Supporting Adelaide is a joy.

Each and every day you get a new surprise.

Midfield of Danger Yeo and Laird is salivating. What do you think RtB would accept for BCrouch? Clarko probably keen to get rid of Greenwood too.

I mean no ill to Yeo and hope he keeps doing well for himself and the Eagles but from an Adelaide pov its a no thanks.

Last edited:
Adelaide seems desperate. Instead of giving a 31 year old walking injury a 3 year 900k/pa deal, why not just offer McCluggage or Weitering 1.7m/pa. Better value.

Adelaide seems desperate. Instead of giving a 31 year old walking injury a 3 year 900k/pa deal, why not just offer McCluggage or Weitering 1.7m/pa. Better value.
Im sure we are throwing an offer out to everyone who will listen haha

Why be so obsessed with keeping your picks also? Nows a good year to trade 1st rounder and get a younger guy in with Welsh waiting as a f/son pickup.

Id be after Lukosius with that 4 year 5 mill deal. I cant see Gold Coast matching that

Age is a factor when it comes to compo, you get less the older a player is.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hate to burst your bubble but that is exactly how it works, AFL secret herbs and spices is contract length, contract amount and age of the player.

1716194279350.png

You're not getting band 1 comp for Yeo. Fantasy stuff.

Secondly WTF is Adelaide thinking if true? His body won't even last half a season.

Hate to burst your bubble but that is exactly how it works, AFL secret herbs and spices is contract length, contract amount and age of the player.

View attachment 1995222

You're not getting band 1 comp for Yeo. Fantasy stuff.

Secondly WTF is Adelaide thinking if true? His body won't even last half a season.

Not sure it’s worth us letting him go then. Pick 20 odd for Yeo isn’t enough of a needle mover for us to make the change

Not sure it’s worth us letting him go then. Pick 20 odd for Yeo isn’t enough of a needle mover for us to make the change

Top 5%, it would have to be $1.3 mill each year not just the 1st year. I mean 5 years ago top 5% would have been anyone above 900k a year, you'd think these days it's now over a mill a year.

They miss out on significant points off the compensation calculation for players age above 30, significant.

Yeo would need to be in the top five percent of earners with 12% of his value knocked off the top.

But the real kick in the teeth will be that if the Free Agency period opened just four days earlier his age for that calculation would be 30 and not 31 - resulting in a boost to his points.

As it stands he will turn 31 before that contract is lodged, meaning no extra points for age meaning most everyone else in that over 25 bracket has a 2-12% advantage over him and for him to finish in the top 5% on the rankings would require such a huge amount of money paid to him as an average per year.

The players age is a massive factor in the calculation. Even if they are one year older than the normal FA age (which is 26, 8 years after being drafted as an 18 yo) it reduces chances of band 1 a lot. The players in contention for band 1 compo this year were drafted in 2016. Yeo was drafted 5 years earlier in 2011.
31 year old players don’t trigger band 1 compo.
In fact that calculation is so sensitive for age, they actually factor in the month of a players birthday. Eg Ben McKay was born in December meaning he was 25 when the AFL decided on the compo for him last Oct. He turned 26 a couple of months later. Had he been 26 at the time of the trade week it would have been counted against him.

You guys would be doing well to get an end of second round pick for a player Yeos age. Doesnt matter what money he’s offered.

Isaac Smith moving to Geelong a few years ago would be a good example of a similar compensation. And I think he was younger than Yeo.
yup exactly, compo will be garbage. Not worth letting him go for a pick likely in the late 30s

Remove this Banner Ad

Back