Prediction Does Voss get the sack if Carlton miss finals in 2023?

Does Voss get the sack if the Blues miss finals in 2023?

• Yes

Votes: 249 58.2%
  • No

Votes: 179 41.8%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

The one I can’t get my head around is the midfield. Was so good last season. Contested footy through the roof. Completely and utterly bullied ours when we played the blues last year. Gone completely backwards this season. Walsh not damaging enough, Cripps looks cooked (sore) and Kennedy looks a shell of himself. Hewett not getting any younger too I guess.
Cerra the best in there so far this season.

Normally you'd worry about the merged club being a powerhouse... Wouldn't have to worry here

I don't think Vossy is all that great as a coach - our midfield seemed to be crap when he was our mid coach - but Carlton's constant flipping and flopping on coaches while addressing nothing else clearly does nothing to fix the issue. But I'm certain the media circus will come for Voss because it couldn't possibly be anyone else responsible.

Don’t fall into the fallacy that it’s one or the other, it can be multiple factors.

There are going to be big changes coming on and off field, it may include Voss. If he does get sacked, in no way will that absolve anyone else, it’s too far gone now.

The one I can’t get my head around is the midfield. Was so good last season. Contested footy through the roof. Completely and utterly bullied ours when we played the blues last year. Gone completely backwards this season. Walsh not damaging enough, Cripps looks cooked (sore) and Kennedy looks a shell of himself. Hewett not getting any younger too I guess.
Cerra the best in there so far this season.
I told the Carlton Cohort that for Carlton to improve they needed improvement from the bottom 6 as well as the same output from the top 6 from last year.

Very little improvement from the bottom 6 and not the same output as the top 6 now sees them fighting to stay out of the bottom 4.

Silvagni is the epitome of an uber spud.

He’s the epitome of a hole-plugger, playing third tall, medium forward, ruck, and occasionally midfielder. Oh and he’s been moved to the backline when he was in the VFL a couple of weeks back.

It does not help.

If you look outside of him being completely mismatched against rucks and tall forwards when he pushes back, he’s absolutely adequate. Not good. But not significantly worse than 4-5 players from most flag sides over the last decade.

Don’t fall into the fallacy that it’s one or the other, it can be multiple factors.

There are going to be big changes coming on and off field, it may include Voss. If he does get sacked, in no way will that absolve anyone else, it’s too far gone now.
Hopefully for your sake and the supporters sake that's true, even if Voss is found to be part of the problem the fact it has gone on for so many years suggests there must be more constants than just him. I've seen way too many club bigwigs throw one scapegoat under the bus to save their own skin though, so I'm sceptical whether you'll get the sweeping change you need.

He’s the epitome of a hole-plugger, playing third tall, medium forward, ruck, and occasionally midfielder. Oh and he’s been moved to the backline when he was in the VFL a couple of weeks back.

It does not help.

If you look outside of him being completely mismatched against rucks and tall forwards when he pushes back, he’s absolutely adequate. Not good. But not significantly worse than 4-5 players from most flag sides over the last decade.
Spot on. The kid has been thrown around absolutely everywhere and Carlton fans do nothing but rag on him.

Hopefully for your sake and the supporters sake that's true, even if Voss is found to be part of the problem the fact it has gone on for so many years suggests there must be more constants than just him. I've seen way too many club bigwigs throw one scapegoat under the bus to save their own skin though, so I'm sceptical whether you'll get the sweeping change you need.

We basically need the afl to step in and dissolve our board. Something is obviously rotten to the core.

There’s something slightly off when Voss speaks. I don’t know if he’s just not quite smart enough to be a senior coach, but it’s almost like he doesn’t believe his on words. It’s all a bit forced. I can imagine players would switch off from his messages pretty quickly. Maybe he’s just not a good leader when he can’t lead through on-field actions

He's off his ******* rocker, isn't he? Old Man Vossy.
Crazy is as Crazy does sir.

"We were dominant for parts of the game"
"We're not finishing our work!"

Dear lord.

You also got pissed on mate. Essendon were laughing at you. Every clubs was laughing at you.
I'm laughing at you right now.

Don't tell me you didn't finish your work. You didn't tackle mate, no tackles, you barely stared work.
Shift hasn't started!!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I said it on our board in the autopsy thread last night, Carlton is a group of individuals having a kick.

It was mindblowing to watch Curnow in the first take a mark 60m out, look at 2 easy short options inside 50 and instead decide to blaze away for a long bomb at goal.

The majority of Carlton players, to me, seem obsessed with being the hero, it's all about their own game, forget about what's best for the team.

Good luck to whoever coaches them next.

Silvagni gets such a bad rap. He is a huge competitor, he consistently wins 1 on 1s and equalises if he doesn’t. He’s up flying for marks against Peter Wright while bigger players watch.

He’ll never be perfect but there’s a lot that could be compared to say Jack Graham about him - tough, but limited in a lot of ways, but Graham is an AFL player.

I do feel he is a victim of a player that has been used as a utility, but would actually benefit more if he would get the chance to settle in one position or role. Tries hard and competes no doubt, but it looks at times he tries "too hard" just to prove himself, rather than just playing a natural game. Like Silvagni, Conor Nash was put in every position and role on the ground under Clarko, then Mitchell makes him a permanent mid and he is flourishing. He'd almost be top 5 in our BnF this year.

Only a select few can be a useful utility. Most players just need to be settled in one spot. Silvagni falls under this.

Only a select few can be a useful utility. Most players just need to be settled in one spot. Silvagni falls under this.
But it's kind of what he is. He's not tall enough to play tall or quick enough to play small consistently. He's Tyson Goldsack without the pace.

No cook came after that was decided.

Also bomber had led cats to 2 finals appearances, including a prelim before a poor 2006 (where they still won 10 games, not tracking for 4-5 wins like we are).

So the narrative of Voss being like Hardwick or bomber is completely wrong.

He is more like Ben rutten at essendon , though we are worse than Essendon last year, and rutten got Essendon to finals in 2021.

Can't argue with that.

There is no reality where it will be only Voss gone, if he is given the flick.

Jack Russell has completely ****ed our fitness program after being spooked by injuries last year, they backed off way too far and now we have less injuries but a playing group that looks completely flat and unfit.

There will be more board changes, Sayers will be gone.

I’d anticipate most of the assistants, Lloyd and diesel will be gone as well.

We will look to be aggressive in terms of trading as well. I’d be very open to trading Cripps if someone wanted him.
I was walking my dogs this morning and a dude asked me if they were Jack Russell's. I said to him nah mate they're mine.

Saad, running and breaking lines with the raking left boot would.

He either can’t or is under instructions not to.
Saad has regressed back to the time at Essendon he was told he had to defend, sulking around showing little interest.

Very harsh on Jack Silvagni, but possibly correct anyway I guess.

He's 194cm.
I'm talking 188cm - 190cm as they still kind of fall into that small/medium forward classification.

Having said that, they're hard to come by. Particularly the ones who are fast and also good in the air.

Ollie Henry would have been perfect for Carlton.
Players like that.

He's 194cm.
I'm talking 188cm - 190cm as they still kind of fall into that small/medium forward classification.

Having said that, they're hard to come by. Particularly the ones who are fast and also good in the air.

Ollie Henry would have been perfect for Carlton.
Yeah you're probably right, I've always thought of Silvagni as a medium despite his height because he's fairly quick and good at ground level.

But yes, medium forwards are exactly the sort of player where good ones are on maybe around $400-500k per season but Carlton can't afford the good ones because all the money has gone to players like McKay, Curnow, Saad, Cripps, Williams etc.

Back